Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

This just broke at the Drudge Report over the last few hours ... just a quick post since there was talk earlier of government spying in this thread.

Drudge Report

FEDS DEMAND WEB FIRMS TURN OVER PASSWORDS

http://www.drudgereport.com/

... at this time this is the main "headline" story at the Drudge Report and it may stay that way for several hours until something else starts to trend so the actual article link is below.

the actual article ...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57595529-38/feds-tell-web-firms-to-turn-over-user-account-passwords/

Feds tell Web firms to turn over user account passwords

Secret demands mark escalation in Internet surveillance by the federal government through gaining access to user passwords, which are typically stored in encrypted form.

The U.S. government has demanded that major Internet companies divulge users' stored passwords, according to two industry sources familiar with these orders, which represent an escalation in surveillance techniques that has not previously been disclosed.

If the government is able to determine a person's password, which is typically stored in encrypted form, the credential could be used to log in to an account to peruse confidential correspondence or even impersonate the user. Obtaining it also would aid in deciphering encrypted devices in situations where passwords are reused.

"I've certainly seen them ask for passwords," said one Internet industry source who spoke on condition of anonymity. "We push back."

A second person who has worked at a large Silicon Valley company confirmed that it received legal requests from the federal government for stored passwords. Companies "really heavily scrutinize" these requests, the person said. "There's a lot of 'over my dead body.'"

Some of the government orders demand not only a user's password but also the encryption algorithm and the so-called salt, according to a person familiar with the requests. A salt is a random string of letters or numbers used to make it more difficult to reverse the encryption process and determine the original password. Other orders demand the secret question codes often associated with user accounts.

... more at the link

That's scary. Another reason to keep (and encrypt) your sensitive data locally rather than in the cloud.

Here's a related story:

Feds put heat on Web firms for master encryption keys

The U.S. government has attempted to obtain the master encryption keys that Internet companies use to shield millions of users' private Web communications from eavesdropping.

These demands for master encryption keys, which have not been disclosed previously, represent a technological escalation in the clandestine methods that the FBI and the National Security Agency employ when conducting electronic surveillance against Internet users.

Apple, Yahoo, AOL, Verizon, AT&T, Time Warner Cable, and Comcast declined to respond to queries about whether they would divulge encryption keys to government agencies.
"The requests are coming because the Internet is very rapidly changing to an encrypted model," a former Justice Department official said. "SSL has really impacted the capability of U.S. law enforcement. They're now going to the ultimate application layer provider."

--JorgeA

I have no Java. I am posting my personall feelings about spying on people in their homes. Spying on people went from

drug sniffing dogs, to people breaking inside a persons home. How is this any differnt. You might not be a trheat but your

children, or your family members, or favorite tycoon might be a threat.

Look it, has already happen to me, using Yahoo. Somebody broke into my account, changed a background of my

Facebook Yahoo page ( you know that page that Yahoo request for you to turn on, but you can never nver nver

turn it off, because Yahoo will not let you anymore ). I know it was "Uncle Sam" because like Google Yahoo USA has gone

dickless.

I am very serious about this dickless yahoo problem. The new user page is purple, which of course mean poisin and

has not meant royal for a long time, Among other meanings, the user interface is crap, they make you sign an

agreement tht says you will never interact with whatever organization.

What happen folks is that, they "Dickless G-bastards" are basically abusing various laws, because nobody is fighting back.

Of course being that computers is a mans ( or least it was ) world. What they are doing is targeting men who about to

retire ( men in their 50+ ) and immigrants ( racial targeting, racial biased, ).

So now think about it. The reason why they want to gain access to users passwords is so they can view what the user

has been doing, or storing privately. Think about some things you do not want anybody to see unless you trust them

reasonable.

If this was 1985 it would not matter. If this was 1995 it would not matter. If this was 2005 it would not matter. Because

their are a bunch of retards, fools, morons, dumber then #$#@!@$@ idiots using facebook, myspace, twiter, freindster

and these things, using it to share videos files etc. The goverment is going batshit crazy, taken advantage of the law.

Like recently a law was about to be passed that pretty much says ( their is no such thing as a young adult ) and it was

going to be passed, but the president shot it down. They were about to turn the entire nation into the state of Florida

and California combined. If this was 1955 that would have been a cool thing, but otherwise that is basically hell on earth.

If they had passed that, it would have made 90% of all media illeagal, and give the nation to meatheads ( the jox,

the people who do not graduate from highschool, the people who become a police officer because they failed to make

the team, the Biffs of the world ). Because everybody believes in god and nobody is strong enough to be like Charles

Bronson or Sonny Chiba and stop these dickless bastards at the source, they continue to dance on our privacies, making

threats to us.

Even places like this, they want to crawl around inside of, because unlike Yahoo, Myspace, facebook, and others these

places are private and meant for private usage. Remember the whole internet law scandals back then? They managed

to pass a law without the media noticing it ( where they can make requests from Yahoo, Myspace, facebook, etc ).

Meanwhie morons on facebook are like yeeeeaaahhhh we get to share crap.

That is the only reason why they are doing this. They are gender discriminating males, age discimintating of males,

immigrant bias of race, creed, culture, and all against males. Take out the people looking foward to their SSI.

Another law they tried to pass, is the anti-garage sale law. Like when we buy or sell things on the internet for example.

They want to tax you. You already get charged a fee for using money and sale services and because more people are

shipping for things, they figure hey stores are dead, nobody goes outside

anymore.

They want to collect all your information.

Steal your private property

try to get you to admit to things.

try to throw you in jail

rob you of your Social Secturity

Deport you out of the nation ( because it is cheaper then sending a person to jail ).

They think it is a big joke, and nobody is fighting for the privacy of the people. They just want a bunch of boob jobs,

walking around with half finished labodimies, spending as much as they use the bathroom, and reproducing less so

their will be less people to deal with. Or better yet marrying less, and reproducing more. They can't just say, stop

making babies, stop having sex, stop using your benifits you have a right to.

Look at this website you got Google running in the background, along with facebook. Practically got holes in this webpage

as well.

They were about to turn the entire nation into the state of Florida and California combined.

You mean old and rich people, nice chicks in bikini and decent weather also from Idaho to Michigan? :w00t:

jaclaz

No, i mean .................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Florida went over a long overhual after the "Born again Christian movement". It was a vacation spot but became a retirment spot for elderly people. The people who are eyeing the law, in Florida made it basicaly impossible for you to have any privacy at all. If a tree falls in Florida everybody hears about it. Flordia is not a party state and has been for the very longest. The only people in Florida are oldies trying to find other oldies. It is really disguisting in Florida when it comes to that. .................................................................................................................

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

California which is practically on the boarder of Canada, Mexico, Pacific Islands, and Ussr have a strict international policy. Because of the wide vast amount of immigrants, who live in Florida, they have an idea "New World Order" mindset about law. Meaning you have laws where a person can go to jail for many things, in other states that are taken for granted. .....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

A lot of people when they think of California, they think sex, prostitutes, gambling, movie stars, etc. That is not the case of the current situation of California at all. Think of it as Florida but with slightly younger people. In fact alot of yuppie hipsters ( many you can find roaming the big cities of the US ) comes from this area of the world. Because of the pro-non-heterosexual movement in California, as welll as the Silicon valley movement ( comprised of religious and warhawk???? types ), and racism between nations. ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I am not saying these are bad places, and you can't have any fun, When it comes to privacy in terms of computers and internet laws,

among other things, they are to be considered blacklisted. ..................................................................................................................

..................................................................................................................................................................................................................

I know their are other states, that is also on that list, but now more then ever thanks to the current trends and themes, their is basicallly

barely and privacy. The only people who have any privacy are the ones who have no understanding of the term itself,

Fiddling around with Xbox again ...

Report: MSFT to Release Xbox One Sans Kinect in 2014 ( Tom's Hardware 2013-07-24 )

Microsoft Shoots Down Rumors Of Kinect-Free Xbox One Bundle ( Kotaku 2013-07-24 )

The 1st article, about a Kinect-less Xbox model, is apparently still a rumor as reported in the 2nd article.

Microsoft may change course and allow Xbox One games to be self published ( NeoWin 2013-07-24 )

Microsoft confirms Xbox One game self publishing plans; details coming later ( NeoWin 2013-07-24 )

Microsoft Will Allow Indies to Self-Publish on Xbox One ( Tom's Hardware 2013-07-26 )

The rumor describing another easing of the walled-garden publishing aspect is now confirmed. Whoop-de-do. Dear Microsoft, just release two Xbox models. one cloudy restricted model for MetroTards, and a standalone classic for normal people.

News from the Competition ...

Ubuntu Edge crowd sourced campaign raises $5 million inside three days ( NeoWin 2013-07-25 )

Crowd source funding for a Linux smartphone totaling 6.6 million now. That's a lot but I don't see how they can expect the 32 million they desire in a month without a couple of bigtime investors jumping in. It looks like they are funding everything including factory time from the ground up.

Geeksphone announces Peak+ Firefox OS smartphone ( TechSpot 2013-07-25 )

Looks like it really is happening. This is in Spain currently and at 149 euros or approximately $200.

Asus Intros Portable 18.4" AIO Android PC ( Tom's Hardware 2013-07-25 )

I wouldn't really call this a PC, yet, it's a giant tablet to me, looks pretty slick though. Naturally it's an underpowered ARM chip, in fact the same one in the Surface RT if I'm not mistaken. Let's call it Android RT. :yes: No word on price but if it is in the $300 range then Surface RT is toast.

Walmart, HP Planning $99 Android Tablet Sale ( Tom's Hardware 2013-07-26 )

That price is NOT a typo. It says $99 which is the same as the clearance was for the doomed WebOS TouchPad. Not sure what's going on with HP these days because there cannot be any money in that!

Magazine controveries ...

What Microsoft's Earnings Report Means for Small Businesses ( PC World 2013-07-22 )

Despite declining PC sales, adoption of Windows 8 is on pace with that of its predecessor. There has been some backlash over the dramatic redesign of Windows 8, and Microsofts attempt to convert the OS to a touch-based interface, but most of the major complaints are addressed with the Windows 8.1 update, which will be officially available later this year.

I wasn't the only one that noticed that steaming pile of bullcrap. Here's a commenter ...

What are you Smoking? Win 8.1 Addresses nothing. Adoption on Pace with its Predecessor? You are Delusional. PC World needs make it clear that this is a paid Advertisement from Microsoft. IDG Creative Labs is a Marketing firm hired by Microsoft to Schill for them. THIS IS A SPONSORED ARTICLE .

Nailed it. And apparently the commenter was exactly right in every way. Next, here comes an editor of PC World ...

I disagree. Windows 8.1 won't please everyone, but it is a significant improvement over Windows 8, and Microsoft has addressed most of the biggest complaints and added a number of new features that businesses will welcome--especially IT admins.

The fact that sales of Windows 8 are on pace with Windows 7--or at least were up to a point--is not a secret, nor is it a PCWorld conspiracy.

[...]

Finally, the fact that this is a sponsored post is also not a secret, nor a PCWorld conspiracy. It is clearly labeled as such on the PCWorld home page, and the sponsors are prominently featured at the top of the post. "Sponsoring" a post, however, doesn't involve any editorial license or influence over the content, so the dots you appear to be trying to connect simply don't exist.

He's lying about everything but especially that last part. There is no mention that it is a sponsored post, NONE whatsoever. He refers to some earlier page that links to the sponsored post but I didn't come from there nor did probably anyone else. And there is nothing at the top of the page even now at this writing. Sneaky and corrupt media practices that Microsoft is capitalizing on. The commenter was exactly right!

Here's an article from earlier this year that addresses a similar situation at ZDNet. Use it as a starting point to jump to other stuff ...

Dubious Editorial Control in ZDNet ( TechRights.org 2013-03-02 )

AS WE STATED a couple of years ago, ZDNet is strongly suspected of having received money from Microsoft in exchange for editorial control that favours Vista 7, essentially corrupting ZDNet as a source of news (not that it ever published more than bias, flames, etc.) and we never received confirmation of this from ZDNet; they dodge the issue. I did ask them.

Here's three current articles at ZDNet that Microsoft clearly did NOT pay for ( :lol:) ...

Windows 8.1: Close, but no cigar ( SJVN ZDNet 2013-07-08 )

Did we all just witness Windows start to die? ( MBR ZDNet 2013-07-22 )

Windows isn't dying, it's just becoming irrelevant ( AKH ZDNet 2013-07-23 )

The comment sections in these are completely interchangeable with the only exception that there are extra haterz at the SJVN article because he is listed as covering Linux and Open Source topics and this does not sit well with brainwashed MicroZealots. How dare he report on that wacky alternate universe not controlled by Redmond? The nerve of him!

My Windows 8.1 Preview. My advice? Stay far, far away. ( Dvorak PC Magazine 2013-07-23 )

In my opinion, this GUI is not healthy.

[...]

All in all, this is what I hear Microsoft saying: This as far as we are going to go to assuage any concerns over the Metro (or whatever we call it) interface. The desktop is out or will be soon. Get over yourself. We know what's right. Do as we say and shut up.

John Dvorak weighing in again, and as usual comes quite a flame war in the comments. ZDNet has lots of MicroZealots in general, many that attack Dvorak for not loving Microsoft enough even though he has been at this since the early 1980's when these fanboys were still in diapers playing with their actual Playskool toys and watching Sesame Street. There are also some obvious astroturfers as well. But nowadays we have lots of warriors for truth in there taking them on as I expected would be the case from Windows 8.1 Blew because it could only serve to anger real Windows users as it is the most arrogant insult they have yet perpetrated.

Ballmer states that Windows is not selling well enough, next gen Surface in testing ( NeoWin 2013-07-24 )

Ballmer: We built too many Surface RT tablets ( TechSpot 2013-07-26 )

On Microsofts campus today, Ballmer held a rally the troops type event where they typically go over the quarterly earnings report and attempt to boost/keep the good vibes flowing within the company.

During his internal address, Ballmer stated that Windows is not selling well enough, which shouldnt come as a major surprise, as the company has blamed just about everything under the sun for the slower adoption of Windows 8.

Told ya so. But instead of listening to Windows veterans for the past two years ( the current controversy, but for about seven years since Vista ), Microsoft was busy cherry picking their telemetry which was by definition already "cherry picked", or more precisely "sheeple picked", since the CEIP telemetry was disabled by anyone remotely concerned about privacy and security. What they had for data was completely useless.

Study shows IE10 to have better privacy protection than rivals ( NeoWin 2013-07-26 )

rotflmao.gif The only possible way that could have been funnier is if it started out with: "A Priest, a Minister and a Rabbi walk into a bar ...". :lol:

Microsoft celebrates Windows NT's 20th birthday ( NeoWin 2013-07-26 )

Quite an important day in the history of the PC. Naturally the Generation Xbox MetroTards don't quite know what to make of it as they stumble through useless comment after useless comment lest they say something that might shine the light away from Windows 8 and onto its much more competent predecessors. Ah children. Here's a boo-boo from one of them, so let's wait and see if any of the others there are smart enough to figure it out and correct him ...

You mean Windows *period* - it was Windows 3.0 that was the first non-dud version that actually sold well in retail. (My experience with Windows began with Windows/286 (AKA Windows 1.1) which was bundled with the 286-class Zenith desktops sold to the government under contract - in 1988.) Windows 3.1 could run on them (standard mode) - and those 286-class PCs that were soldiering on in 1990 saw Windows 3.1 that year. Windows NT 3.1 looked like Windows 3.1 by design; however, it was very much intended for workstations, as it didn't support IDE/ATAPI at all - SCSI, not ATAPI, was the drive interface du jour for early NT boxes.

:whistle: None yet.

EDIT: typo, and the editor bug adding linefeeds ahead of the first quote

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Let's say that "accuracy" is not particularly seen as an ESSENTIAL requisite by the good guys @nsslabs.
On the report overview:
https://www.nsslabs.com/reports/2013-browser-security-comparative-analysis-privacy-0

Authors: Randy Abrams Orlando Barrera Jayendra Pathak.....
Browser privacy is an issue on the front lines of the browser wars. This comparative report examines the privacy mechanisms built into the browsers of tested vendors, and it assesses their implications for user privacy.

Vendors:
Apple Google Microsoft Mozilla Opera

Too bad that in the actual report there is NO trace of Opera, let alone of Mr. Orlando Barrera:

2013 – Randy Abrams, Jayendra Pathak

Tested Vendors
Apple, Google, Microsoft, Mozilla

It's usually not a good idea to judge a book by it's cover, but still .... :unsure:

But let's see the actual content:

NSS Labs Findings

• Default privacy settings vary significantly between browsers.
  • Private browsing modes do not eliminate tracking.
  • Do Not Track is currently ineffective as a privacy mechanism.

Do Not Track

Currently, the most-discussed browser privacy setting is Do Not Track. The reality of Do Not Track in the browser is that the default setting is a statement of vendor position on privacy. The technology today actually does nothing to protect privacy; however, if proposed legislation prevails and requires honest compliance with the Do Not Track header, IE 10 users will be far better protected by default than will the users of any other current browser.
Multiple studies have indicated that consumers desire control over whether or not they are tracked; yet IE is the only browser to ship with Do Not Track effectively enabled on installation.

Basically imagine that Philips (say) starts implementing in all it's domestic appliances a new additional protection against short circuits that depends on compatibility with the mains line (and that NO provider of electricity on Earth implements).

Panasonic (say) has not this additional protection circuit (as it is NOT required by current standards).

WHEN (and IF) the standard WILL BE changed AND the electricity provider WILL provide compatible electricity/lines, THEN the Philips' thingies WILL HAVE additional protection when compared to Panasonic's.

NOW and UNTIL THEN, NO additional protection of ANY KIND is provided.

By that time, most probably, the products will be end of line/obsolete.

And BTW, I lied in the above example, it is not that the circuit is not already present in the Panasonic appliance, only, in order to save some electricity NOW, it is turned off and can be turned on by simply setting a little switch. ;)

I have rarely seen a report as worthless as that one.

Among the other things, I am quite perplexed by the new, innovative definition of "honest compliance" in all my years I thought that you could put no qualification to "compliance", something is either compliant or it is not, and no one cares if such compliance is reached honestly, dishonestly, with good will or bad will, etc.) as long it is reached .

jaclaz

[...]

I have rarely seen a report as worthless as that one.

Among the other things, I am quite perplexed by the new, innovative definition of "honest compliance" in all my years I thought that you could put no qualification to "compliance", something is either compliant or it is not, and no one cares if such compliance is reached honestly, dishonestly, with good will or bad will, etc.) as long it is reached .

Aw, you're being too scientific, diplomatic, and kind again. I like how one commenter at the NeoWin thread put it ...

NSS Labs = Microsoft sponsored BS

Naturally this doesn't go over too well :lol:

P.S. Jaclaz, have you noticed the editor bug that keeps adding an extra CRLF before the first quote tag each time you hit preview? You have to edit the post, preview it, rinse, repeat, and then check for it one last time and delete any extra line(s) right before you hit 'post'. There are other bugs to and they all occur right after you hit 'preview'. It seems to make a pass through the post it just displayed and applies a set of "corrections". Just wondering.

Two most recent Dvorak columns ...

Will Bill Gates Return to Microsoft? ( Dvorak PC Magazine 2013-07-24 )

As for Gates becoming the operational CEO, forget itthere's no way he can come out on top. If he returned and all of a sudden the company began to flourish again, people would call him incompetent for putting Ballmer in charge when he could clearly not keep the ship afloat. In the more likely outcome, which would result in either little change or a quickened decline, he would be mocked for hubris and for being out of touch. Neither one of these scenarios is worth it. Although, I could guarantee his CES keynote would be more entertaining than the alternatives.

And remember, Gates himself has changed. Now he is a featured guest on all sorts of talk shows where he pontificates for a living. During the go-go years at Microsoft, he would mingle with "the people" at user group meetings. He'd be at trade shows and events where he'd engage in discussions with the hard-working technical class. Now he only associates with the elites at places like Davos and the Allen & Company enclaves where he chats with the likes of Rupert Murdoch while sipping Kistler Chardonnay.

This is not the Bill Gates we once knew. He's no longer the amusingly competitive but normal guy obsessed with Microsoft. Now he gets the red carpet treatment all around the world and the seat next to the emperor of some hinky country trying to attract some cold Gates Foundation cash.

Nobody can transition from a caviar lifestyle to mere CEO slouch status. What would be the point?

I would have to agree with that. Billg has far to much to lose to go back now. And besides all the reasons Dvorak mentioned, let's not forget that he left when he was exposed in the Antitrust trial in a very bad light. He had literally become the lightning rod and most likely promoted Ballmer to take the heat off ...

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates was called "evasive and nonresponsive" by a source present at a session in which Gates was questioned on his deposition. He argued over the definitions of words such as "compete", "concerned", "ask", and "we". Businessweek reported that "early rounds of his deposition show him offering obfuscatory answers and saying 'I don't recall' so many times that even the presiding judge had to chuckle. Worse, many of the technology chief's denials and pleas of ignorance have been directly refuted by prosecutors with snippets of email Gates both sent and received." Intel Vice-President Steven McGeady, called as a witness, quoted Paul Maritz, a senior Microsoft vice president, as having stated an intention to "extinguish" and "smother" rival Netscape Communications Corporation and to "cut off Netscape's air supply" by giving away a clone of Netscape's flagship product for free.

Although I was personally on Microsoft's side on those specific issues of MSIE, Netscape and ill-advised government intrusion into that trivial matter, I do remember feeling ill after reading and then seeing his deposition which came off as arrogant at times. Looking back now though it is impossible to feel the same sympathy for the company. Can't imagine why.

What Ballmer Can't Get Right ( Dvorak PC Magazine 2013-07-26 )

Who in his right mind would spend $500 on a Windows RT tablet when you can buy an iPad for about the same price? Does Microsoft think consumers are insane? I've been around a dinner table full of people when someone asked which tablet to buy and everyone said "iPad." And that included me!

So Microsoft takes a $900 million write-down and decides to put the Surface on sale for $350. This will attract nobody. The sweet spot for these devices was established when HP sold out an entire inventory of TouchPads in August 2011. The 16GB tablet sold out at $99 and this is despite the fact that the white elephant was abandoned by HP.

Boy, he got that right. Of course we all got that right in this very thread last October. It is amazing that nine months have come and gone and this obvious and inevitable outcome has only barely started to penetrate everywhere else. Not talking about Dvorak, but Ballmer and company.

BTW: If you look upthread a couple of posts for the article about a new HP tablet you will see that this $99 price is once again in play! What on Earth is HP doing I wonder?

EDIT: clarity, editor CRLF bug

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

P.S. Jaclaz, have you noticed the editor bug that keeps adding an extra CRLF before the first quote tag each time you hit preview? You have to edit the post, preview it, rinse, repeat, and then check for it one last time and delete any extra line(s) right before you hit 'post'. There are other bugs to and they all occur right after you hit 'preview'. It seems to make a pass through the post it just displayed and applies a set of "corrections". Just wondering.

Yeah, that's called "feature" or "progress" (BTW the headless peeps at IPB have not even managed to understand how this bug is there since three or maybe four releases, at least these same bugs affect reboot.pro since more than one year - when the board software was updated).

... and at least on reboot.pro the issue wit CODE tags is even worse ....

Do some experiments with "numbered and bulleted lists", previewing a list often (but not always) inserts an empty item ....

jaclaz

I'm probably not going to upgrade to Windows 8.1 immediately because I have Windows 8 running fine at the moment. One of the things I don't like about Windows 8.1 is the blatent SkyDrive integration everywhere and as of the latest public beta you can't uninstall this. I obviously won't configure it when I do upgrade to 8.1 but I think that it seems to be a step to perhaps a forced Skydrive integration in future versions of Windows.

How long before SkyDrive or some other form of cloud-only storage of users' data becomes mandatory and private hard drives are prohibited, all in the name of public safety, fighting crime and terrorism, protecting the children, eradicating hate, etc. etc.?

From my cold, dead fingers... ;)

--JorgeA

Steve Gibson, in Security Now! episode 409, offered a number of jokes that have been going around regarding the NSA. Here's (IMHO) the best one:

So my absolute favorite actually was a photo that my tech support guy, Greg, sent me. And so there was - it was a photo of a distraught-looking woman. And across the top it said, "My computer's hard drive crashed...." And then at the bottom, and this explains why she's unhappy, "And the NSA won't send me their backup copy."

BTW, episodes 408 and 409 are well worth listening to, or reading the transcripts. In #408 Gibson describes how he believes the spooks are doing it.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

A very perceptive piece of analysis. Here's a couple of choice quotes for the time-impaired:
You may think that Surface RT and Windows RT are just a tiny sliver of the Windows 8 Project.

To an extent that's correct if you look at the numbers, but what it has done is allow the market nine months to test whether the "bait" that Microsoft had been showing them was tasty and delicious enough to be worth jumping out of the water to get. And the market said that it was not.

What this means -- which is highly serious and highly worrying -- is that Microsoft does not have a product to compete with iPad or Android Jelly Bean tablets in the market at this point in time.

[emphasis in original]

There's only really one way out of this -- Microsoft needs to abandon Windows on Consumerland tablets and get Nokia to build a 8" Windows Phone based tablet running on Windows Phone 8.

[...]

Microsoft has to stop selling Windows as a competitor to the iPad, and start selling Windows Phone as a competition to iPhone and iPad, and also as competition to Android smartphones and tablets.

Or to put it another way, if you're looking to compete in a market of oranges, maybe go out there with oranges, rather than try and convince people that they actually want lemons.

Like we said here long ago (I remember CoffeeFiend especially saying it), this would acknowledge the fact that a tablet is not a PC, and a PC is not a phone.

--JorgeA