Windows 8 - Deeper Impressions

JorgeA

Good post on Techbroil:

http://www.techbroil.com/2014/02/when-will-lies-end.html

When will the lies end?
So the reddit thread with the Windows 8 designer has been making the rounds.
Even though Sinofsky's plan has (bullhorn) FUCKING FAILED we still have NuMicrosoft trying to play some stupid game with us and their employees seem to think we can't see through it.
Well let's see what he has to say:
Metro is a content consumption space. It is designed for casual users who only want to check facebook, view some photos, and maybe post a selfie to instagram. It's designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don't know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes
So what is (casual or power user) about taking a user who opens a pdf and forcing them into a full screen view of the pdf with no close/minimize/maximize buttons or any indication of how to close the file or switch away from it.
It's simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily. That is what Metro is. It is the antithesis of a power user.
Well Sinofsky told us Windows 8 was Windows "without compromise" so I guess he was fucking lying then?
We separated the users into two groups. Casual and Power. We made two separate playgrounds for them.
Uh-huh and then you force anyone in the desktop back into Metro if they hit a the Windows key, enter a hot corner, open a file that has been associated with Metro, or want to change a setting that is now inside Metro. What in the hell is your definition of "separate"?
So why make Metro the default? And why was there no way to boot to desktop in Windows 8.0?
The short answer is because casual users don't go exploring.
That makes zero sense. Why not hide the setting from casual users? Like Sinofsky he of course won't answer these types of follow-up questions. ALL Microsoft employees use the "answer and run" scheme. Answer a few questions from the start and then run like hell when when the follow-up questions come since they make your initial answers look like TOTAL FUCKING bul*****. Fucking cowards that can't defend their own products. Pathetic.

One more I have to respond to:

(asked why Metro is in Windows Server if it is for casual users)

Didn't work on server, but I'm guessing it's because we didn't want to fragment the codebase moving forward. It's kind of annoying though since we've migrated a lot of basic settings to the metro side. That, by my own admission, is a mess.

Classic Shell is 5.4 MB which would make it just another utility in Windows Server that isn't in Windows 8. Or in other words, Windows Server is already fragmented beyond belief you think adding a 5.4 MB utility on top of OS code is fragmentation.

NuMicrosoft employees all seem to have at least one of the following traits:

1. Delusional

2. Technically Ignorant

2. Full of shit.

I honestly believe they have a corrupt culture that requires some of these traits just like the mob requires certain amoral characteristics. They have around 60k employees and I haven't read ANYTHING that resembles intellectual honesty from a poster or blogger claiming to be a NuMicrosoft employee.

Surprise me NuMicrosoft employees, get on a forum and say you know what, we really fucked up and that's the end of it. Just admit you plain fucked up because that is all you can do at this point.

Well everybody, it is not just Microsoft... Ubuntu headed off down this path before Microsoft did and if you use Distro Watch as a barometer, you will see the result. They used to be the undisputed number one distro, but not today. The fine folks at Gnome made the same mistake and they too have fallen from grace. Here is a headline that just appeared, that maybe is an indication that maybe, just maybe, the world is regaining some modicum of USER INTERFACE INTELLIGENCE.

Ubuntu 14.04 brings back menus in application windows

The whole article can be read here: http://www.muktware.com/2014/02/ubuntu-14-04-brings-back-menus-application-windows/21472

It isn't just the OS providers either. I had to get the wife a computer with Windows 7 on it for some program she needed. It came with a newish version of Firefox on it and it took me at least 5 minutes to figure out how to get to the settings menu, because there was no OBVIOUS way to get there from a MENU bar. The children and the non-productive have taken over the user interface design teams. Most of us, that value our time, set up a browser to go to the place we most usually head to when we launch it. We don't waste time at the DEFAULT screen it is delivered with (which is where I had to be to be able get a settings menu).

Disclaimer: I don't like any version of Windows beyond 2K. XP is tolerable, but not liked and anything after that is totally useless. Now, that is my opinion and I know there are many who don't share it. But, I also wanted to let everyone know that I might be just a bit biased.

bpalone

edit for typo

Edited by bpalone

New Technology Allows For TV Ads to Target Specific Individuals, Families

WASHINGTON — The days when political campaigns would try to make inroads with demographic groups such as soccer moms or white working-class voters are gone. Now, the operatives are targeting specific individuals.

And, in some places, they can reach those individuals directly through their televisions.

Welcome to Addressable TV, an emerging technology that allows advertisers — Senate hopefuls and insurance companies alike — to pay some broadcasters to pinpoint specific homes.

Advertisers have long bought ads knowing that only a fraction of the audience was likely to respond to them. Allowing campaigns — political or not — to finely hone their TV pitches to individuals could let them more efficiently spend their advertising dollars.

[emphasis added]

If Hitler had had access to this technology, it would have made his job a lot easier. No problem: it'll be available for the next totalitarian to use.

--JorgeA

Well everybody, it is not just Microsoft... Ubuntu headed off down this path before Microsoft did and if you use Distro Watch as a barometer, you will see the result. They used to be the undisputed number one distro, but not today. The fine folks at Gnome made the same mistake and they too have fallen from grace. Here is a headline that just appeared, that maybe is an indication that maybe, just maybe, the world is regaining some modicum of USER INTERFACE INTELLIGENCE.

Ubuntu 14.04 brings back menus in application windows

The whole article can be read here: http://www.muktware.com/2014/02/ubuntu-14-04-brings-back-menus-application-windows/21472

Good to know that sanity (and respect for your users/customers) is starting to make a comeback.

Disclaimer: I don't like any version of Windows beyond 2K. XP is tolerable, but not liked and anything after that is totally useless. Now, that is my opinion and I know there are many who don't share it. But, I also wanted to let everyone know that I might be just a bit biased.

You cheesy dated hater living in the past, get on with The Program!! :P

--JorgeA

From the new home of Glenn Greenwald, the main recipient of Edward Snowden's document trove at The Guardian:

Snowden Documents Reveal Covert Surveillance and Pressure Tactics Aimed at WikiLeaks and Its Supporters

One classified document from Government Communications Headquarters, Britain’s top spy agency, shows that GCHQ used its surveillance system to secretly monitor visitors to a WikiLeaks site. By exploiting its ability to tap into the fiber-optic cables that make up the backbone of the Internet, the agency confided to allies in 2012, it was able to collect the IP addresses of visitors in real time, as well as the search terms that visitors used to reach the site from search engines like Google.

--JorgeA

bpalone, on 21 Feb 2014 - 06:22 AM, said:snapback.png

You cheesy dated hater living in the past, get on with The Program!! tongue.png

--JorgeA

I guess that did forget to put in there - - "Get Off My Lawn!!" :angel

bpalone

Mr. Thurrott on the Reddit fairy tale:

Is This Really Why Microsoft Made Windows 8? - No, but it's a nice story

"In an interesting bit of history rewriting, a Microsoftie has now retroactively explained that Microsoft simply had to make Windows 8 and its touch-based "Metro" environment ... so that it could then make the desktop better than ever. It's a nice story, and should make power users feel a bit better about the future. But it's also contrary to the available evidence, not to mention everything I've heard from high-placed insiders at the company.

The irony? Thanks to the terrible reaction to Metro, Microsoft is now going down a path to fulfill that fantasy. But this wasn't the original plan, sorry."

"... let's examine two more areas, which get progressively more hilarious. First, why make Metro the default? And second, does the arrival of Metro actually mean that the desktop can now get better for power users too?"
"Reality check. Microsoft's most important customer group is business users, and businesses require as few UX changes as possible to save retraining costs. Microsoft pushing Metro on everyone was categorically stupid."

"There's just one problem. That was never actually the plan. It may be—should be—the plan now, given how customers have universally trashed Windows 8. But it was not the plan. Microsoft was pushing the desktop out with the trash. If it is no longer doing so, well cheers. But that is something new, not part of some long-term plan.

And you don't have to get too far into the Reddit thing to see people calling Miller out on the nonsensical nature of Microsoft forcing a Fisher Price UI on power users and then claiming retroactively that it was all in their best interests. "Metro exists so the desktop can thrive as a professional environment," he claims: Don't worry guys, we were thinking about you all along.

Sure you were.

It also doesn't explain why the frick Windows Server was changed to accommodate this silly new UI that this guy insists was made entirely for casual users.

There is only one explanation for the inconsistencies here. This story is bunk."

A nice aerial image of bpalone's lawn rectius field! ;)

GoogleEarth_Image2.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No comment needed:

Cisco Gains Traction In The Connected Road Race

In early February, Cisco and AGT unveiled the details of an upcoming Internet of Things-enabled traffic management system that incorporates sensors embedded in pavements, license plate-reading systems, social media feeds, and video cameras to “identify, respond to, and resolve” traffic incidents in real time. According to a press release, the system is designed to provide long-term analytics on traffic accidents and to allow different agencies to share video feeds.

Some people may find the AGT-Cisco product a bit creepy--after all, it's a traffic management system that reads license plate numbers and integrates social media. Nevertheless, it's part of a much larger trend in which city, state, and federal agencies use sensors to monitor the smallest aspects of everyday urban life.

And:

“Today, 99 percent of the physical world is not connected to the Internet," Cisco's Wim Elfrink wrote in a statement. "However, cities are the epicenter of the Internet of Everything, where people, things, data and processes can be connected to deliver new and amazing value. Think about the possibilities. It is a vision we can realize today through the unique combination of Cisco's unparalleled networking and computing technology and AGT's cutting-edge smart cities platform.”

[emphasis added]

Umm, yeah, I have thought about the possibilities that this technology presents. But I wonder if you have, Mr. Elfrink.

Hard-hitting observations down in the comments section (most of them).

--JorgeA

Microsoft Said to Cut Windows Price 70% to Counter Rivals

Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) is cutting the price of Windows 8.1 by 70 percent for makers of low-cost computers and tablets as they try to fend off cheaper rivals like Google Inc. (GOOG)’s Chromebooks, people familiar with the program said.

Full article here: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-02-22/microsoft-said-to-cut-windows-price-70-to-counter-rivals.html

I truly wonder what it is like in the halls at the Redmond headquarters. They would probably like a do-over. :yes:

My guess is that the new management is truly hoping that they can get a more tolerable version out the door before everyone defects. Let's see, you can buy 7 and 8 inch Android tablets all day long for $100 or less. Then if they want to compete there, they expect the vendor to spend 15%, or greater, of the sale price (retail) just to offer a Microsoft OS. I don't see it happening, but it may appear a bit in the higher end tablets going for the $200 area, but still have doubts.

bpalone

P.S. to Jaclaz, I loved the picture of my yard. :yes:

Apologies in advance to anyone who already posted any of these, and also for this massive comment dump. It's my first chance to post after the 2 1/2 feet of snow last week, over a foot the week before, it's been chaotic! Most of these posts were ready to go a while back but have been updated since. My work piled up almost as fast as the snow did and had to get caught up. Today it hit 50 degrees F and finally we finished moving the last necessary piles of snow from roofs and other places to limit the probable flooding.

As first mentioned by MagicAndre1981 ( NOTE: this story is on practically every single tech site now. The original source of the discussion is at the below-linked Reddit subthread, read that or even the NeoWin coverage which offers a surprisingly good synopsis. Be aware that the Reddit link zooms directly to the pertinent subthread, but you will still have to expand all those stupid comment nests. ) ...

REDDIT SUBTHREAD ( Windows 8 Sells 100 million Fewer Copies than Windows 7 at 15 Months ) ( Reddit 2014-02-15 )

Windows 8 UX designer on Metro: "It is the antithesis of a power user" ( NeoWin 2014-02-18 )

Neowin: Windows 8 UX designer says Metro is "the antithesis of a power user" ( TechSpot 2014-02-18 )

Why Windows 8 Has New Start Screen and Metro Apps ( Tom's Hardware 2014-02-19 )

So, an alleged Softie on the UI team offers explanations at last, excuses really, in a response that somehow never emanated from Sinofsky, Jensen Harris, Sam Moreau or Julie. Assuming he is real and is actually telling the truth let's see his statement in full ( emphasis mine ) ...

UX designer for Microsoft here.

I want to talk about why we chose Metro as the default instead of the desktop, and why this is good in the long run - especially for power users.

...but not in the way you might think.

At this point you're probably expecting me to say that it's designed for keyboard execution, or some thing about improved time trials for launching programs, or some other way of me trying to convince you that Metro is actually useful. I've talked about those in the past extensively on reddit, but for this discussion let's throw that all out the window. For this discussion, assume that Metro is s*** for power users (even if you don't believe it to be).

Now that we're on common ground, let's dive into the rabbit hole. Metro is a content consumption space. It is designed for casual users who only want to check facebook, view some photos, and maybe post a selfie to instagram. It's designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don't know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. It's simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily. That is what Metro is. It is the antithesis of a power user. A power user is a content creator. They have multiple things open on multiple monitors - sometimes with multiple virtual machines with their own nested levels of complexity.

Okay I'll stop right there to take the opportunity to request, no, to beg to all my fellow Microsoft Tiles criticizers to PLEASE copy/paste that red bold section, and append it with attribution ( e.g., -- Jacob Miller, Microsoft Windows 8 UI Team ), and post it verbatim in threads at NeoWin and The Verge Tribe and wherever else lying astroturfers congregate ( see convenient SPOILER below :lol: ). This will be the source of endless amusement for years to come as we shove those words right from the mothership down the throats of MetroTards who insist on insulting us to our faces of how the Playskool GUI is anything but a pushbutton toy for chimpanzees. rotflmao.gif

"But wait," you're thinking, "You said Metro is good for power users, yet now you're saying it's the worst for them, what gives?"

Before Windows 8 and Metro came along, power users and casual users - the content creators and the content consumers - had to share the same space. It was like a rented tuxedo coat - something that somewhat fit a wide variety of people. It wasn't tailored, because any aggressive tailoring would make it fit one person great, but would have others pulling at the buttons. Whatever feature we wanted to add into Windows, it had to be something that was simple enough for casual users to not get confused with, but also not dumbed down enough to be useless to power users. Many, MANY features got cut because of this.

A great example is multiple desktops. This has been something that power users have been asking for for over a decade now. OSX has it, Linux has it, even OS/2 Warp has it. But Windows doesn't. The reason for this is because every time we try and add it to the desktop, we run user tests; and every time we find that the casual users - a much larger part of our demographic than Apple's or Linux's - get confused by it. So the proposal gets cut and power users suffer.

Let's pause from this for a second, to unravel the lies. While true that Linux has a higher percentage of "power users" versus "casual users", that is untrue of Apple obviously. The vast majority of them are willful members of the curated walled-garden of hardware and software, and always have been. Some small fraction of them are probably "power users", but the vast majority are content with exactly what they receive for their hard earned money spent on entry into the locked-down Appleverse. That is the entire point of Apple, they offer turn-key solutions for a price. Windows has a much higher percentage of "power users". It is Microsoft's Apple-Envy that resulted in the paradigm shift to catering to the MetroTards ( or as he calls them "casual users" or "content consumers" ), and this at the expense of the power users.

The lies and rationalizations here are heavy. Windows has long had simple facility for providing advanced options via check boxes ( e.g., show hidden files, etc ) that already took into account the various skill level of different kinds of users. And longtimers have long noticed the trend there was to bias towards the minority "casual user" increasingly as time has gone on, by dumbing down the interface and moving previously default power user settings into disabled options. The Softie is lying by saying it was either/or, because it never was that. It has become that recently, specifically in 2010 when Microsoft as an entity had a stroke at the conquering of the tablet market by Apple with their iPad. Microsoft blew a gasket and began its descent into madness by assembling their team of Windows destroyers ( Sinofsky, Jensen, Sam Moreau, and apparently this guy ) and gave them carte blanche to stupify the interface to appeal to NON-Windows users, hoping like moths attracted to a flame that they would all come running. In short, Microsoft convinced itself that the only reason that Apple sells iPads to AppleTards is that they didn't have a similar product to attract them, and then they massively compunded this miscalculation by sacrificing classic Windows and leveraging their massive monopoly to be the flame to attract these mothes.

Proof of this Softie's deceptions, lies and misunderstandings is everywhere in his post. He states things as impossible that are pretty much trivial and often done 3rd party. The truth is that most things are not impossible at all, but vetoed by management, but not because they cannot be done. Multiple desktops? Well the funny thing is that Mark Russinovich developed a quick way to do this ( i.e., "Desktops" ) and others have obviously created more elaborate solutions. It is the "will" and the "vision" that was lacking, and truly this was all done out of cynicism, a lack of respect for those that supported Windows from the beginning but unwilling to take one for the team, and lack of respect for the law by using their unique monopoly position and access to OEMs to summon 'all hands on deck' to push the ridiculous Microsoft Tiles into the public consciousness and make a dent in Apple's success. ( perhaps this Softie deserves some benefit of the doubt though, he might just be a lackey GUI team member or tester and is magnifying his importance by offering his uninformed speculation as authority. ) It is likely that very few people inside the Redmond campus really know the truth as these decisions are at the top of the totem pole, especially matters that touch upon monopoly, antitrust and anticompetitive behavior.

Our hands were bound, and our users were annoyed with their rented jackets. So what did we do? We separated the users into two groups. Casual and Power. We made two separate playgrounds for them. All the casual users would have their own new and shiny place to look at pictures of cats - Metro. The power users would then have free reign over their native domain - the desktop.

It doesn't look that way to me. This sounds like revisionism after the fact of an overwhelming controversy. I suppose it is possible that this was the plan all along, but that doesn't explain why now, four years after the first glimpse, that we only now first hear this "official" explanation. The more likely scenario is that Metro was going to be the main focus, the desktop deprecated, and they are now backpedaling as it backfired. Proof of this scenario is in the evisceration of the desktop by killing Aero and the Start Menu, details which show the disingenuous nature of this revisionism.

So why make Metro the default? And why was there no way to boot to desktop in Windows 8.0?

The short answer is because casual users don't go exploring. If we made desktop the default as it has always been, and included a nice little start menu that felt like home, the casual users would never have migrated to their land of milk and honey. They would still occupy the desktop just as they always had, and we would have been stuck in square one. So we forced it upon them. We drove them to it with goads in their sides. In 8.1, we softened the points on the goads by giving users an option to boot directly to desktop.

Now that the casual users are aware of their new pasture, we can start tailoring. It will be a while before the power users start seeing the benefits of this (that's why I said they'd benefit in the long run). Right now we still have a lot of work to do on making Metro seem tasty for those casual users, and that's going to divert our attention for a while. But once it's purring along smoothly, we'll start making the desktop more advanced. We'll add things that we couldn't before. Things will be faster, more advanced, and craftier than they have in the past - and that's why Metro is good for power users.

That second to last paragraph while likely a blatant lie ( i.e., that this was the original plan ) almost brushes up against the truth. Almost. This is where he dodges the illegal abuse of monopoly by steering the sheeple, who happen to find themselves using Windows supplied at manufacture by the OEM, into the Metro garden and the Microsoft Store where the Sopranos gangsters peel off a vig of 30% from the actual authors of apps. The Softie almost, but does not say that 'without Metro as the in-your-face default no-one would voluntarily go there. For this crime Microsoft should be broken up ASAP, it far exceeds the ludicrous allegations that MSIE being included in Windows hurts Netscape and other competitors, because this latest attempt was actually swinging for the fences.

His last bit there is clearly revisionism, saying that 'now we will make everybody happy as originally planned'. Yeah, right. And I got a bridge for sale. So once again, the solution we identified long ago here at MSFN still stands - Metro as an optional module like Media Center available from an icon click from the desktop. Simple. Done. Only Microsoft could have done this to themselves on purpose.

Now if you check out the original Reddit thread ( you need to expand all the stupid nests ) you will see a surprising amount of common sense being hurled back at him by the commenters. In fact it is a slaughter. Almost immediately you will this one: "This sounds like post ex facto justification to me. What you're basically saying is that you p***ed all over your core users because you wanted to make it easier for daft people to look at "pictures of cats"." :yes: yep. Right on the money. I love the guy that said: "They're using the EEE attack on themselves.". That may be the humor award of the thread ( Embrace, Extend, Extinguish ). :lol:

I see that the Softie actually confirmed something I alluded to way back in here, and that is that they have been copying the Intel "tick-tock" roadmap, albeit with more cynical aims. At one point the Softie actually commits himself and Microsoft to a renewed desktop when he literally states: "moving forward, we aren't going to worry about whether or not features on the desktop are too complicated for casual users. In the future, the desktop may very well be complicated to use, but more powerful as well." Now that would be considered huge news indeed. It is something that should be coming out of the mouth of an official but hasn't ( I'm talking to you Julie, and Jensen ). However, later someone asks him if the desktop is a 2nd class citizen, and he replies: "No. Not as part of our long term strategy. In the short term you'll see less resources devoted to it until we get Metro figured out, but once that happens the desktop is very much a first world citizen. It will be equal with metro. The desktop is not going away, we can't develop Windows in Metro.". Make up your mind son. Unfortunately he also takes a few swipes at Windows 2000, which in my mind tells me he is over-rating himself in experience, in other words lying. It is similar to the way MetroTards lie about the Win95 interface meeting resistance and its Start Menu being criticized for replacing Program Manager. In another comment he says: "Users of windows 7 could have been considered beta testers for 8 too." which is utterly ridiculous because of the known timeline. One other thing he says is this: "When I'm working, I'm a power user. After a long day though, I may want something more casual - especially after a joint or a couple beers." which I'm sure he is going to regret. Weed may be legal up there, but I doubt his bosses want the Windows 8 disaster associated with a bunch of pot-smoking beer-drinking spaced-out programmers. If I was in an angry mood I would whip up a killer graphic, but I'll skip it this time. See if you can find the creepy part about people getting used to it where he states: "Repetition to the point of familiarity lowers stress and can increase enjoyment." and he links to exhibit A, B, and C evidence of Microsoft kookiness, the kind of stuff that Sinofsky probably distributed. One guy tells him he will now get fired and he replies: "Doubtful. As long as we don't reveal any unannounced features, we're free to talk about Microsoft publicly so long as we let people know we work for Microsoft when we do.". Which actually is true from the Softies I have spoken with. Unfortunately there are many that ignore this little detail and is why I always try to make a point of asking astroturfers and other smart@ss MicroZealots if they are in fact employees. Another lie pops up when he states: "Honestly if you're just looking for 7, grab a start menu replacement and upgrade to 8. You'll have the same UI you did in 7, with a faster/more stable/more secure OS under the hood." :no: That is most certainly NOT the same UI. What are you, blind? That is an insult and a lie all wrapped up in one.

Over at NeoWin the thread has grown to 285 comments now and the kids are somehow managing to find positve news in all this! Dang, they are thick. And one Softie ( +Brandon Live ) there thinks he might not be real: "He isn't "Metro's designer." I've never even heard of the guy. Unless maybe that's a fake name. If anyone gets that title for Win8 it's Sam or Clay.". Ummm Clay who? We know Sam Moreau, and Jensen Harris though. Ironically this same Softie only seldom identifies himself as an employee. Whatever. But don't miss the champion MicroChimp Dot MetroTard post comment after clueless comment in a mad effort at preserving his world view. The desktop is going away he says. Playskool tiles are the future he says. Would someone please show him this ...

Here is a useful quote suitable for copy/paste into comment threads of Fanboys and Astroturfers. Have fun! ...

"Metro is a content consumption space. It is designed for casual users who only want to check facebook, view some photos, and maybe post a selfie to instagram. It's designed for your computer illiterate little sister, for grandpas who don't know how to use that computer dofangle thingy, and for mom who just wants to look up apple pie recipes. It's simple, clear, and does one thing (and only one thing) relatively easily. That is what Metro is. It is the antithesis of a power user." -- Jacob Miller, Microsoft Windows 8 UI Team

http://i.imgur.com/l4LcoQv.jpg

l4LcoQv.jpg

( Image Sources: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 )