"New" XP user seeking some answers regarding CMD.EXE, WordPad,

Click Beetle DX

What are your needs? Basic 2D word processing and DOS games? Then there's no need to use XP or go through growing pains.

Pardon, but I don't wish to get into a big explanation here as I fear it will bury my questions under a pile of posts which are unrelated to them. However to briefly summarize:

Even with all of the official and unofficial updates, patches, enhancements and custom hacks I've had the luxury of adding to 98SE, I find XP to be more stable and reliable, especially where software is concerned. While I need regular access to custom DOS applications, I also need the same access to newer software that 98 can't execute (even with KernelEx installed). While I used to boot into XP only once or twice a month, I now find it necessary to do so much more frequently. I do not wish to dual boot anymore because it is not time effective. And, I no longer find it "OK" to remain stuck in my ways simply because I find it more comfortable. I am losing productivity time in doing so, and this is not acceptable. The only way I will ever push myself to learn and adapt to XP is if I force myself to do so. That is what I aim to do now; there's no looking back.

Now with that said, if we could please stick to the original point of this thread it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last thing. If you're going to get hip with the times, do it with 7, not XP. You'll just waste a lot of time learning a "new to you but 11-year-old" OS that Microsoft is supporting for just another two years and itching to retire. They even have a End of Windows XP Support 8xx days counter on every KB article. :lol: Just trying to save you a whole lot of time and stress.

Edited by vipejc

DOS was all they had in the 1970s, so they had to suffer it.

No. In 1970 we actually didn't even have microprocessors: the 4004 is from 1971. So DOS, in 1970 would be a real wonderful blessing! DOS is from 1981, there was CP/M before it. And no, by the 80s, DOS was far from being all we had: does UNIX ring any bells? :whistle:

Last thing. If you're going to get hip with the times, do it with 7, not XP. You'll just waste a lot of time learning a "new to you but 11-year-old" OS that Microsoft is supporting for just another two years and itching to retire. They even have a End of Windows XP Support 8xx days counter on every KB article. :lol: Just trying to save you a whole lot of time and stress.

But, as the OP just said, not helping at all. :whistle:

You're free to love 7, 8 or even Windows 9 and full cloud computing.

However, this is the XP forum and comments like the above have no place here. :)

But, as the OP just said, not helping at all. :whistle:

You're free to love 7, 8 or even Windows 9 and full cloud computing.

However, this is the XP forum and comments like the above have no place here. :)

The OP is free to do whatever he pleases, but since he's out of the loop, I got him caught up to speed and gave him something to consider. I'd say that is helping and the advice was on XP, but I'll let him get back to his thread. :hello:

The KB Glenn9999 posted is a correct answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090

but if you have Word installed, it may "interfere" with wordpad settings.

In other words, I suspect that the issue is not "only" XP in itself, BUT XP with Word installed to it. :unsure:

In case of need:

http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

AND check this.

http://www.wincert.net/tips/1786-word-cannot-start-the-converter-mswrd632wpc-error.html

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

The KB Glenn9999 posted is a correct answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883090

but if you have Word installed, it may "interfere" with wordpad settings.

Yes, I tried this and it didn't solve the problem. Word must indeed be interfering.

This program, however, does work, solving my problem. Thanks for recommending it! I had tried several others and none of them suited my needs.

Edited by Click Beetle DX

Here's another question: Is there a way I can permanently disable the hiding of "rarely used" programs and folders in the Start menu? I haven't been able to find an option for it anywhere, not even in TweakUI. I'm assuming I missed something simple, but perhaps not...

DOS was all they had in the 1970s, so they had to suffer it.

No. In 1970 we actually didn't even have microprocessors: the 4004 is from 1971. So DOS, in 1970 would be a real wonderful blessing! DOS is from 1981, there was CP/M before it. And no, by the 80s, DOS was far from being all we had: does UNIX ring any bells? :whistle:

I was just making a funny, not trying to give an exact year of DOS release. My point was it's ancient and people really need to let it go. It's not meant for today's OSes (Windows 95 and later). Everything is supposed to have a GUI. The syntax is goofy and confusing, especially when you add switches. It's just not well designed.

Oh, boy. :blink:

People should use the OS which best suits their needs. Why waste time arguing about it?

I'm just asking a few questions about XP, so I can become more comfortable with it. You'll excuse me if I don't see why there's any need for unrelated discussion.

Edited by Click Beetle DX

So I *was* right, after all! The problem lies in pre-Word-97 .doc files! :D

I'm really glad you've solved it, though! :yes:

NO, you actually were WRONG, as you babbled about Word 2.0 doc files, (whilst the issue was with Word 6.0 doc files).

The good news is that the OP also is wrong as he FAILED to do what he was told (preferring the shortcut of cwordpad)

The KB glen9999 posted is part of the story, you have to additionally add the "AllowConvversion" key on updated systems.

BUT, if you do so, you will be prompted to go here :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923561

and told about how dangerous :w00t: is to open that file with Wordpad:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms09-010

It's seemingly a no-win/no-win situation :ph34r: (if you want to use wordpad you have to ckick OK each time (unless there is something else in the Registry that disables the prompt)

jaclaz

Here's another question: Is there a way I can permanently disable the hiding of "rarely used" programs and folders in the Start menu?
"Taskbar&Start Menu->Start Menu->Customize->Scroll Programs" (New XP Style). For "Classic Style", additionally "Use Personalized". Untick them.

Forwarning - if you have a lot of programs, this will look ugly!

Edited by submix8c