SETUPLDR Couldn’t open drive(0) multi(0) disk(0) rddisk(0) partition(1

lapetite66

Hi:

Recently, I purchased and installed a new motherboard but just today got around to trying to install Windows XP Professional.

I have the installation CD(my slipstreamed version) and everything is setup as it should be inside the case. Unfortunately, for some reason the DVD-RW doesn't seem to see my bootdisc (slipstreamed). A screen comes up saying what DVD-RW burner I have and then I expected to see the next screen where it says "Press and key to boot from the CD" and that NEVER happens. I get this other screen that says setup can't find something and then the process starts all over again.

I thought that the problem might be the slipstreamed OS disc and then I tried using the "Original" disc and still got the same error message.

I am at a total loss on how to resolve this problem because I can't see the error message about what the "Setup" can't find because either I'm too early pressing the pause button or too late.

Is there some way to pause the screen and progress little by little until I get the part about the error message???

Help!!!

Edited by lapetite66

I am at a total loss on how to resolve this problem because I can't see the error message about what the "Setup" can't find because either I'm too early pressing the pause button or too late.

Is there some way to pause the screen and progress little by little until I get the part about the error message???

The "Press any key to bot form CD" ONLY happens if the Setup detects an already initialized hard disk, cannot say if you are in this condition. :unsure:

Can you check, and re-check the cables?

Is your internal hard disk a SATA one?

Is the (internal) CD/DVD a SATA or an IDE/PATA one?

HOW exactly did you configure BIOS?

WHICH EXACT motherboard model is it? (Crystal ball out to the shop for maintenance ;))

etc., etc.

Standard Litany:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

(the more info you give - details are important -, the more likely someone may be able to give you appropriate advice)

jaclaz

The "Press any key to bot form CD" ONLY happens if the Setup detects an already initialized hard disk, cannot say if you are in this condition. :unsure:

Can you check, and re-check the cables?

Is your internal hard disk a SATA one?

Is the (internal) CD/DVD a SATA or an IDE/PATA one?

HOW exactly did you configure BIOS?

WHICH EXACT motherboard model is it? (Crystal ball out to the shop for maintenance ;))

etc., etc.

Standard Litany:

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/problem-report-standard-litany.html

(the more info you give - details are important -, the more likely someone may be able to give you appropriate advice)

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz:

Thanks for responding to my post.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. I had to run a few errands and then I had some things to do on the net so I had to unplug my computer and set my sister's computer up again as my computer obviously wasn't working. :(

All my cables are connected correctly but I forgot to mention that when I attempted to do the install that I had one of my storage drives connected to a controller card?

The hard-drive that I was attempting to use for my OS install has never been used. Why you might ask. Well, my previous hard-drive was an ATA/IDE drive that died on me maybe a month ago. Since that time I was using my sister's computer and during that time I was learning the art of slipstreaming and CAB file making. The bloody irony is that I've finally created the perfect slipstreamed disc(for me) with a number of my favorite software apps and some drivers and now it seems that I can't use the dang thing! :(

FACTS:

Harddrives

1 Main Drive is Seagate 500GB SATA(never been used)

2. Storage #1 - Seagate 500GB ATA/IDE

3. Storage #2 - Seagate 1TB SATA

Motherboard

MSI-P67A-C43

DVD-RW(Internal)

Optiarc - IDE/ATA(PATA)

I have no idea how to configure the BIOs unless you are talking about how to set the computer up to boot from a specific device. If that's the case I set it up to boot from the DVD-RW/DVD-Rom first and the hard-drive second.

Thanks,

The bloody irony is that I've finally created the perfect slipstreamed disc(for me) with a number of my favorite software apps and some drivers and now it seems that I can't use the dang thing! :(

HOW do you know that? :w00t:

I mean WHERE/HOW did you test that particular CD/DVD build BEFORE this attempt?

In ANY case, try again with only the CD/DVD drive and the SATA drive to which you want to install, you can re-add the other HDD's after completing (hopefully) successfully the install.

jaclaz

The bloody irony is that I've finally created the perfect slipstreamed disc(for me) with a number of my favorite software apps and some drivers and now it seems that I can't use the dang thing! :(

HOW do you know that? :w00t:

I mean WHERE/HOW did you test that particular CD/DVD build BEFORE this attempt?

In ANY case, try again with only the CD/DVD drive and the SATA drive to which you want to install, you can re-add the other HDD's after completing (hopefully) successfully the install.

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz:

You asked where and how I tested the CD/DVD build before attempting to use it?

The hard-drive that I was attempting to use for my OS install has never been used.

Why you might ask. Well, my previous hard-drive was an ATA/IDE drive that died on me maybe a month ago. Since that time I was using my sister's computer and during that time I was learning the art of slipstreaming and CAB file making. :(

As mentioned (above) I’ve been using my sister’s computer. As for the how I tested the slipstreamed disc etc.; by using VMware.

That other hard-drive really couldn't have been the problem because although the IDE cable was plugged into hard-drive it WASN'T plugged/connected into the controller card which is connected to the motherboard. Another clue was the fact is that although I wasn't able to install the OS (maybe it has something to do with the OS being XP or so I've been reading) I was able to see that the Seagate drive(code name matched the one I was attempting to install OS on) was listed in the BIOs screen as one of the booting options. There was no listing for any other HD other than that.

I was able to find out what the error message was saying. You know, the one that I said was flashing too fast. I did that by using the video camera feature on my camera. Then I used VirtualDub to export the video into various screenshots. The error message reads as follows: “SETUPLDR: Couldn’t open drive multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)

ComputerIssues13.jpg

What exactly does that mean?

I know the disk is viable. I connected it to my sister’s computer which is an Compaq Presario SR1620NX with SATA capabilities and it picked up the drive right off the bat. Of course I wasn’t able to see the drive until I formatted it as a NTFS primary drive it but the fact that it showed up at all makes me think that the HD can’t be the problem but then again I could be wrong.

I would really appreciate help with this problem as my sister wants her computer back, once that happens I won’t have a computer at all if I can’t get this issue resolved.

Thanks,

Edited by lapetite66

I like the videocamera/virtualdub trick! :thumbup

But I am at a loss attempting to understand the issue at hand.

Maybe I can give you some "general" info from which you can possibly "pick" your case.

A "normal" XP setup CD is booted through it's no-emulation boot sector.

This CD bootsector invokes TWO files in sequence:

1. BOOTFIX.BIN
  2. SETUPLDR.BIN

(both residing in the \I386 directory of the CD)

Snippet of contents of the no-emulation bootsector:

pro1dat.gif

What BOOTFIX.BIN does is to check the MBR of the first hard disk on the machine.

If it is "initialized" (i.e. at least it's two last bytes are 55AA) it shows the message "Press any key to boot form CD" and gives a timeout of a few seconds before booting the internal hard disk.

If it is NOT "initialized" it goes on and boots SETUPLDR.BIN without showing any message and no timeout. (this has been made to avoid that on a typical "bare metal" machine install when you need to re-boot for second stage of XP setup you will boot again from the CD if you forget to remove it from the drive at the end of first stage).

The message:

“SETUPLDR: Couldn’t open drive multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)

means that *somehow* SETUPLDR.BIN cannot access first partition on first hard disk (typically the one where you want to install or have just installed the XP).

This happens long before anything actually "windows related" comes into play, it is symply the SETUPLDR.BIN that cannot access the drive with it's internal drivers.

This is typically caused by the disk not being properly connected to the motherboard (cable or disk drive jumpers) or by an incorrect setting in BIOS.

So, you should really re-check, re-re-check and re-re-re-check the cables and connections and the BIOS settings first thing.

As a general rule of the thumb testing something in a Virtual Machine will give you only part of the story, so, while it is an important (and very convenient) step in testing it can in some cases bring you to the false conclusion that something is working whuile it is not (on real hardware).

Another possibility is that you had a "bad burn". In VMware did you test the actual burned CD or the .iso of it?

Yet another possibility is that the CD/RW drive have some issues (again chack cables/jumpers) but it seems less likely to me.

Ideally you should try using an original (masterized NOT "burned") XP install CD and see if it makes any difference.

Or you could get a DOS based CD such as the excellent UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

and use it to run a few tests on your hardware.

jaclaz

then I tried using the "Original" disc and still got the same error message.

How original is the "original" ? Are you 100% sure it was the same error ?

The "original" disc is the XP Professional Service Pack 2 only, no additives etc. And yes, I got the same error.

But I am at a loss attempting to understand the issue at hand.

Maybe I can give you some "general" info from which you can possibly "pick" your case.

A "normal" XP setup CD is booted through it's no-emulation boot sector.

This CD bootsector invokes TWO files in sequence:

1. BOOTFIX.BIN
  2. SETUPLDR.BIN

(both residing in the \I386 directory of the CD)

Snippet of contents of the no-emulation bootsector:

pro1dat.gif

What BOOTFIX.BIN does is to check the MBR of the first hard disk on the machine.

If it is "initialized" (i.e. at least it's two last bytes are 55AA) it shows the message "Press any key to boot form CD" and gives a timeout of a few seconds before booting the internal hard disk.

If it is NOT "initialized" it goes on and boots SETUPLDR.BIN without showing any message and no timeout. (this has been made to avoid that on a typical "bare metal" machine install when you need to re-boot for second stage of XP setup you will boot again from the CD if you forget to remove it from the drive at the end of first stage).

The message:

“SETUPLDR: Couldn’t open drive multi(0)disk(0)rddisk(0)partition(1)

means that *somehow* SETUPLDR.BIN cannot access first partition on first hard disk (typically the one where you want to install or have just installed the XP).

This happens long before anything actually "windows related" comes into play, it is symply the SETUPLDR.BIN that cannot access the drive with it's internal drivers.

This is typically caused by the disk not being properly connected to the motherboard (cable or disk drive jumpers) or by an incorrect setting in BIOS.

So, you should really re-check, re-re-check and re-re-re-check the cables and connections and the BIOS settings first thing.

As a general rule of the thumb testing something in a Virtual Machine will give you only part of the story, so, while it is an important (and very convenient) step in testing it can in some cases bring you to the false conclusion that something is working whuile it is not (on real hardware).

Another possibility is that you had a "bad burn". In VMware did you test the actual burned CD or the .iso of it?

Yet another possibility is that the CD/RW drive have some issues (again chack cables/jumpers) but it seems less likely to me.

Ideally you should try using an original (masterized NOT "burned") XP install CD and see if it makes any difference.

Or you could get a DOS based CD such as the excellent UBCD:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

and use it to run a few tests on your hardware.

jaclaz

Thanks. I had to try something since as I said that screen was flashing a little to fast for me to see the entire message.

I tried using the original disk, not a copy but the original to boot from and it was a no go. I still kept getting the same error message.

I tried your suggestion about checking the cables and that wasn’t the problem. The problem wasn’t the cables but the dang controller card! I can’t believe that card is malfunctioning especially since I only just purchased it earlier this year. It’s a good thing I happen to have another controller card but then again the reason I liked the first one I installed was because it has two IDE connection slots whereas the other controller card(the one I have connected to the board now) only has one. Well, the other controller card works and now I don’t just see the DVD drive but now the CD/DVD can actually boot from it.

Unfortunately, I still can’t get the OS installed. :(

The MSI P67A-C43-B motherboard came with a driver disk and so trying to be proactive I slipstreamed the drivers into the disk but maybe they are the wrong drivers which I don’t know how that could be because I got them from the official MSI website and they are specifically for the above mentioned motherboard. The only other reason I could think they might not work is because they are more current files than the ones on the disk. The reason I didn’t use the ones on the disk is because I’m not sure which ones I’m supposed to be using and there are quite a few folders with drivers.

Okay, then I attempted to install one of my slipstreamed disks without the MSI drivers and I was going to use the F6 key…unfortunately, my F6 key doesn’t work for whatever reason. A little detail I forgot from past re-install efforts. I assumed that I would have the option to install the drivers after installing the operating system but then I get this error screen with the following error message

100_6798.jpg

“Setup could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in your system, or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter. Currently, Setup will load support for the following mass storage devices. (see image attachment)

<none>

• To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM drives, or special disk controllers for use with Windows, including those for which you have a device, insert a disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, press “S”

• If you do not have device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer, or do not want to specify additional mass storage device for use with Windows press “Enter”.

I tried hitting the “S” key but I get another error message (forgot to take a pic of that one) about how it can’t find something or another. Then I try the second step of just hitting the ENTER key and it seems to be installing until I get the following BSOD.

100_6796.jpg

Is there anyone else with this motherboard or a similar MSI board that can tell which drivers I should integrate from the included driver disk into my slipstream disk??? Or can someone direct me to some drivers that would work with my particular motherboard.

Thanks,

Edited by lapetite66

Driver for XP32 is here:

http://www.msi.com/service/download/driver-17380.html

The files needed are:

- iaStor.cat

- iaStor.inf

- iaStor.sys

- TXTSETUP.OEM

Those files are for using the IDE option in the BIOS.

Hi Tripredacus:

Thanks for responding to my post.

I know about the MSI website because I've downloaded all the latest MSI P67A-C43_B files a week or so ago, November 12, 2011 to be exact.

I have a floppy drive, unfortunately, I can't use it since there doesn't seem to be an adapter(or so I was told at Microcenter) that would allow me to connect the Floppy drive to my SATA motherboard. I searched for information about how to find a work-around of installing the SATA drivers and found different posts about how to slipstream the files into the XP operating system and I did that but obviously I was doing something wrong.

I know that the Intel_RST_Floppy_MB pack includes both iaStor and iaCHI files but above you only list the iaStor files so I take it that means that I DON'T need the iachi files then? What about the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver, that zip file contains a file called iata_cd.exe? I don’t need that either? I ask because on the MSI website it the description of the Intel RST Floopy & The Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver say that they are SATA drivers. I just want to be sure.

In the mean time I will make a fresh disc with the only the iaStor files and will cross my fingers that this time the installation will be without issues.

One more question. I know one of the major issues with the Windows XP OS is the fact that it doesn’t come with drivers for different hardware like the Windows Vista(I think) and Windows 7. Do you think it would be a good idea to download the some of the various driver packs from http://driverpacks.net/ and incorporate them as well and if so which driver packs would you recommend?

Thanks again for responding to my post. :)

MSI's website is connect, iaStor is a SATA driver. The "IDE" Mode option you see in the BIOS is a legacy compatibility mode. So your main mode of SATA operation are:

- IDE

- AHCI

- RAID

However, in some BIOS there is another setting to further dictate SATA behaviour that includes options for "legacy" or "native" however I do not know the proper use for that setting.

Well the lack of drivers in XP wasn't so much of an "issue" when it came out! It is a fairly old OS, I'd hardly expect that Windows 7 will be able to properly install without some additional driver files 10 years from now! As far as the driver packs go, if you want to make an XP disc that is to be used on a bunch of different kinds of boards, they only one you'd really need would be the mass storage drivers. If you want to make your XP disc install everything for you, I couldn't really say.

As far as the files needed, It doesn't hurt to put the entire f6flpy-x86 folder onto the floppy disk, but having the AHCI files in there when you are using IDE may be confusing because Text Mode might list multiple drivers with the same name. As far as the EXE, the driver package I downloaded did not have one.

I see from MSI's website (you didn't post if you had the first or B3 board) neither of them have a floppy connector on the board. Your best bet would be to get a USB Floppy drive for systems like this. As time goes on, you'll see less and less systems that have floppy ports.

MSI's website is connect, iaStor is a SATA driver. The "IDE" Mode option you see in the BIOS is a legacy compatibility mode. So your main mode of SATA operation are:

- IDE

- AHCI

- RAID

However, in some BIOS there is another setting to further dictate SATA behaviour that includes options for "legacy" or "native" however I do not know the proper use for that setting.

Well the lack of drivers in XP wasn't so much of an "issue" when it came out! It is a fairly old OS, I'd hardly expect that Windows 7 will be able to properly install without some additional driver files 10 years from now! As far as the driver packs go, if you want to make an XP disc that is to be used on a bunch of different kinds of boards, they only one you'd really need would be the mass storage drivers. If you want to make your XP disc install everything for you, I couldn't really say.

As far as the files needed, It doesn't hurt to put the entire f6flpy-x86 folder onto the floppy disk, but having the AHCI files in there when you are using IDE may be confusing because Text Mode might list multiple drivers with the same name. As far as the EXE, the driver package I downloaded did not have one.

I see from MSI's website (you didn't post if you had the first or B3 board) neither of them have a floppy connector on the board. Your best bet would be to get a USB Floppy drive for systems like this. As time goes on, you'll see less and less systems that have floppy ports.

Hi Tripredacus:

I thought I mentioned what type of motherboard I had but when I checked I see that I was missing a few details. My motherboard is P67A-C43(B3).

Personally I think it’s a crazy that they have adapters as well as controller cards for IDE harddrives so they can be used with the SATA motherboards but yet there isn’t an adapter for floppy drives. I’ve had my Floppy for years and although I didn’t use it often I did use it and I don’t relish the idea of having to put out yet more money just to buy another version of something that I already have. :realmad:

- IDE

- AHCI

- RAID

So, that’s IDE, AHCI and RAID, I did notice those three options in the BIOS.

Okay, so let’s recap…it’s a yes to the iaStor file but no to the iaHCI, got it. :yes:

You say that the mass storage drivers would be the best option but when I read the list of the drivers included it seemed to be missing certain drivers that are included in some of the other driver packs (I didn’t download any of the 3rd party packs). I guess it just depends on what hardware you plan to install.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I happen to like Windows XP. Maybe eventually I will upgrade but not right now because although Windows 7 has quite a few bells and whistles it’s also missing features that I’ve become accustomed to. I mean seriously what’s up with the bland media player? One of the reasons I’ve resisted upgrading to MP-11 is because I love how I can play with the colors in MP-10. Sure you can change the colors of MP-11 but they just aren’t half as nice as the beautiful shades of color I was able to achieve in MP-10.

It would be nice if they come up with an operating system that allowed you to borrow features from various previous OS’s and that way you could customize it just the way you like it.

Anyway…you say that the fact that XP lack of drivers wasn’t an issue when it came out but from what I read some of the current operating systems(Windows 7) come with other than just generic drivers installed. That’s not saying that I wouldn’t still have to use a driver disk depending on whether or not I’ve installed some new hardware, whose driver wasn’t built into it, but that Windows 7 and more than likely Windows 8 comes with drivers for the “New Age” for want of a better phrase.

My sister’s computer is a Compaq Presario and her version of Windows XP is G*******_EN but her motherboard is SATA, and she has a Samsung SP1604N harddrive. My motherboard is the above mentioned but other than that my computer is generic (got it built at a computer show back in 2003). My version of Windows XP is V******_EN but the installation process shouldn’t be that different right?

Let me see if I can clarify what I’m trying to say, basically when they come out with operating systems that are sometimes buggy and that’s what the updates are for. But my question is do they also come out with newer versions of that same OS at a later date that will have those particular fixes (drivers etc.) already built in? I ask because I just don’t get it how XP Pro installed on my sister’s computer with no issues what so ever but I’m having a hard time.

I will try your iaStor suggestion and will get back to you and let you know what happened.

Thanks again.

XP came with drivers for most devices that existed at the time (~mid 2001). Vista came with more/newer drivers and 7 with even newer drivers.

There is no "newer" version of XP than that including a Service Pack. Service Packs do include new drivers and drivers updates as well as hotfixes and security updates, but not to the point of having as much drivers as newer OS's. Your XP might have a driver for your sister's controller but not for your MoBo's controller. Also maybe you needed a driver for your additional cards you mentionned in posts #5 and #9.

The "IDE" Mode option you see in the BIOS is a legacy compatibility mode. So your main mode of SATA operation are:

- IDE

- AHCI

- RAID

With the Award BIOS on Dell Inspiron 530S and Dell Vostro 200, "RAID" is AHCI. The BIOS menu calls AHCI "RAID" lol.