(Solved) Creating wim image when programs are installed on another dri

bookie32

Hi folks :hello:

When I usually create wims I have installed everything on the C: drive, so it is straight forward....BUT....

I have recently built a new computer which is here.

As you can see I have a ssd drive for my OS...in this case it will be Windows 7 and Ubuntu. When creating the partitions for both Windows 7 and Ubuntu I realised it didn't give me much space for anything else...so I decided to install most programs on another drive....and those of you into Linux..the /home partition will not be on the ssd drive....LOL

What happens when I create a wim of the C:drive in that situation where most programs are somewhere else?

Do I need an image of both drives ...C: and where my programs are installed?

Another thing I intend to do is export my directories my documents, etc to another drive in case of crashes....this I thought I'd do after creating my basic wims.

As of now - I have just installed windows and updates and created a backup basic install of the C: drive before I start adding stuff....

Can someone give me some guidance here ...please :angel

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Creating wim of partition is like copying the content of the partition so if you want to backup your computer this way, you should need to create wim of all partitions including the one stored on the other drive.

Creating wim of partition is like copying the content of the partition so if you want to backup your computer this way, you should need to create wim of all partitions including the one stored on the other drive.

The interesting part would if you create junction points (symbolic links) to the stuff on the "other volume" inside the "main volume".

What would happen? :unsure:

jaclaz

OP can use Windows Backup, which is designed for this function. It doesn't matter that there are programs installed elsewhere, or how you manage their backup strategy.

The use of Windows Backup is hinted to in the What Is Windows RE? article on Technet. I have seen the automatic prompting of using a recovery image after running WinRE, but never made it do that on purpose.

Hi guys!

Thanks for your input....

OK! Yes, I said I usually create a wim file...but that doesn't necessarilly mean that is the way to go.....LOL. I have heard negative things about windows 7 back up...maybe I am a little quick to dismiss that route...

allen2:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious... :rolleyes: and I don't mean that sarcastically....needed to be told....LOL

jaclaz:

I was sort of thinking along your lines as well...(symbolic links)....interesting thought.

Tripredacus:

Thanks for the link...I will have a look at that!

I do thank you all for your response...was getting a little worried....this old fart appreciates you guys :thumbup

If I have a separate partition for the program files - then I will have to think about it's size....otherwise my back ups will be huge....LOL.

Just wish ssd drives were cheeper..... :lol:

Thanks again!

bookie32

OP can use Windows Backup, which is designed for this function.

But windows backup will make "normal" .vhd files and NOT .wim ones, AFAIK.

Question is seemingly about .wim images :whistle:

jaclaz

In Backup and Restore, on the left there are two options:

- Create a system image

- Create a system repair disc

The System Repair Disc requires a Windows DVD to read from first in order to create. The "System Image" is indeed a WIM file. I had used this once, but never tested the ability to use this WIM with Windows Backup and Restore on other systems.

I'll do a test real quick to confirm if it is a WIM or not.

Edit: Jaclaz is right, it makes a VHD. I don't know where I figured it made a WIM, but either way a DVD can still be made.

Edited by Tripredacus