dial-up number

jassenna

I want to know what number a dialler installed to access

an ISP is using. I tried the modem log, but it contains

the string ATDT####-#### , which is not a valid number.

(I did not think an application could do this, but it did)

Is there any alternative to intercepting the phone line?

O/S: Windows 7 Home Starter ; as single-user as I could make it.

my knowledge of Window 7: very low.

The reason why I want this number is to be able to access

that provider from a DOS machine, where the dialler will not

work. They do not object to this, indeed I did so until

they changed numbers, but neither they bother to help.

How exactly did you do it before they changed numbers? What used to work can be tweaked to work again, without need of any added software. BTW, one simple trick would be to put a BINA (calling line identification device that also IDs outgoing numbers) between the modem and the line, and it'll tell you what number was dialed.

Yeah, but he's trying to figure out what the new number is so he can program the DOS machine to use it as well. There is probably some kind of DTMF tone decoding software somewhere you can use.

Cheers and Regards

BINAs are very common and inexpensive in Brazil, and they ID both incoming and outgoing numbers. While incoming numbers can be blocked and display "Private", there's no way to prevent the BINA from reading the outgoing number, so it's bound to work. And it's possible to borrow a BINA for a single identification, so it may even cost zero.

BINAs are very common and inexpensive in Brazil, and they ID both incoming and outgoing numbers. While incoming numbers can be blocked and display "Private", there's no way to prevent the BINA from reading the outgoing number, so it's bound to work. And it's possible to borrow a BINA for a single identification, so it may even cost zero.

This is what I meant when I said "intercepting the phone line". However, I do not own a BINA nor know anyone who can lend me one, so I was seeking some software way before looking for a BINA.

I also would like to know how could an application prevent the logging of the dialed number. This would be no surprise in DOS, but I thought

all modem access in Windows had to be done through the TAPI services.

I also would like to know how could an application prevent the logging of the dialed number. This would be no surprise in DOS, but I thought all modem access in Windows had to be done through the TAPI services.

Windows is no different. By contrary, it's much more complex and gives many more opportunities to filter/hide whatever one wants. That said, I don't have the faintest idea of how it's actually done, in your specific case, nor did you give enough specifics for me (or anyone, for that matter) to go on with.

Then again, I bet jaclaz just gave you the software solution you were seeking. By rerouting either the sound card line or the audio from the modem to DTMF decoder you should get the number you're looking for, just the same as if you were using a BINA. Good luck!