Firefox 3up and JRE 20up problems.

Sfor

I have problems with getting JRE working with Firefox. There are many versions of Firefox 3 and JRE above 20. I'm looking for a usable combination. There are posts suggesting the Firefox 3.5 works better with Java, than 3.6 does. But, I had no luck to get it working in either one. My test case is the Ultra VNC Java client. It is working correctly with Firefox 2.0.0.17 and JRE 6u7.

KernelEX 4.5 final.

- JRE 6u7 - Firefox 2.0.0.17 works correctly, Firefox 3.5.19 works correctly, Firefox 3.6.17 fails on installing JRE plugin

- JRE 6u20 - does not install

- JRE 6u21 - Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.6.17 fails on installing JRE plugin

- JRE 6u22 - Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.6.17 fails on installing JRE plugin

- JRE 6u24 - silent instalation required (/s switch), Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin

Edited by Sfor

I was unable to install JRE 6u24. At first it complained about gdiplus.dll file missing. Then, after adding a gdiplus.dll from Open Office 2.4.1 installer crashed.

I was able to install JRE 6u24 with a help of the /s switch. But, I see no difference. On every tested Firefox version, the result is a failed attempt to install Java Runtime Enviroment plugin. In case of Firefox 3.5.19: firefoxjre_exe.exe performed an illegal operation (or something like that).

So, in the end, the problem is the Firefox trying to install the Java Runtime Enviroment plugin.

Why don't you try the msi installer. The failing setup copied it to windows\application data\sun\java\jre1.6.0_25.

KernelEx 4.5.1, FF3.5.x, Opera 10.1, Java1.6.0 25

I had to forbid the phonehome during the installation.

Edited by schwups

Well, I can install the JRE enviroment above 6u20. But, the Firefox always wants to download and install additional plugin and fails at this task. I do believe Firefox tries to download and execute the JRE online installer. It does not seem to make any sense, since the whole JRE was installed, already.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I have problems with getting JRE working with Firefox.

KernelEX 4.5 final.

- JRE 6u20 - does not install

- JRE 6u21 - Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.6.17 fails on installing JRE plugin

- JRE 6u22 - Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.6.17 fails on installing JRE plugin

- JRE 6u24 - silent instalation required (/s switch), Firefox 2.0.0.17 fails on installing JRE plugin, Firefox 3.5.19 fails on installing JRE plugin

I'm running Kex 4.5 and Firefox 2.0.0.20 and JRE version 1.6.0_24 with no problems.

PS: Why are you running 2.0.0.17 instead of 2.0.0.20?

I don't run any version 3.x of Firefox because it puts thin white horizontal lines across any displayed bitmap (jpeg, etc) when the page is scrolled up and down. And menu controls are displayed with funny background colors and sometimes look like noise. Might be a problem with my video driver (?). I can run Opera 11.01 no problems.

PS: Why are you running 2.0.0.17 instead of 2.0.0.20?

I've encountered a problem with one of the portals and Firefox 2.0.0.20. The window scrolling was missing there. Everything was working perfectly fine with 2.0.0.17. I did not tested the 2.0.0.18-19, however.

Hallo Sfor,

did you unchecked following things:

1.In Firefox - menu / Tools / Options / advanced / Update: automatically check for updates to "Installed Add-ons"?

2.In the control panel: Java / advanced / Java plug-in - next generation. Because the "Java next generation plug-in" does not work with 9x/ME!!!!!

Further I've set the autom. JRE-download to never.

And you must rename the "new_plugin" folder in the Java folder: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin. Example: "old_plugin".

Firefox 3.5.xx should work with the Java "classic" plugin.