Unofficial ClamWin patch for Win98SE

ClamWin has a bug on Win98SE, some types of files after the scan remain locked (for example some temporary files extracted from compressed archive).

I have analyzed the ClamWin's source code and I have found where is the problem.

The fix works well and is stable.

For to try this you can to scan with ClamWin the ClamWin update exe setup (only the update not the full install) that it's realized with nullsoft.

The file will locked (no possibility of to deleted it, to move it, to rename it) until the system will be rebooted.

Here the files (the changes on the source code and the binary files):

http://www.andrearusso.eu/clamwin/Patch_ClamWin0_97_8_Win98SE.zip (for ClamWin version 0.97.8 the binary version about 500k)

http://www.andrearusso.eu/clamwin/ModifiedSources.zip (the sources files changed and a document that explain the fix)

Open the zip file and renamed the file libclamav.dll located into the folder (clamwin\bin), for example with an extension .original and then save the new file into the same folder.

Of course, just as the original ClamWin, these modified files are released under the GPL, as required.

Note: Have been reported problems using the ClamWin incremental update setup, for to install a new ClamWin version it's better instead to use the full install (and to copy before the file ClamWin.conf for to save your personalizations).

Aru

Edited by aru

Way to go, aru! :yes: Thanks a lot!

Very timely and useful for many, so it is now stickfied.

You do rock! :thumbup

Now, to keep related things together, let me quote here aru's post about ClamSentinel:

And now there is also Clam Sentinel: a system tray application that detects file system changes and scans the files modified using ClamWin.

Clam Sentinel has been developed by me just because Avast will drop the support for Win98, the program is freeware and open source.

Clam Sentinel works on Win98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Win7 and is available from here:

http://clamsentinel.sourceforge.net/

For Win98/ME I have developed a vxd driver (builded with MSVC6 + Win98DDK) that detects filesystem changes (similar to the famous program FileMon).

BTW, for those interested in the original post or the replys to it, just click on the quote's snapback link (the curved arrow at top left), and they'll get there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have found some problems related at the scan of some temporary files.

I have updated the links with a new version that solves the problem.

I recommend everyone to update the patch.

Aru

• 2 weeks later...

To use the latest set of aru's Clamwin patch , make sure you also use the latest version of Clam Sentinel (1.16). Without aru's latest upgrade to the latter, the new patch had some stability and shutdown problems for me.

aru, thank you for your efforts to keep your programs up-to-date and for allowing us to have a real-time A/V for Win 98SE.

Edited by EvanD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Today I have released the new patch for the latest version ClamWin 0.97.1.

The ClamWin's team has fixed some problems but some aren't fixed so the patch continue to be important for Win98SE users.

aru

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Today I have released the new patch for the latest version ClamWin 0.97.2.

Note: Have been reported problems using the ClamWin incremental update setup, for to install a new ClamWin version it's better instead to use the full install (and to copy before the file ClamWin.conf for to save your personalizations).

bye,

aru

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Today I have released the new patch for the latest version ClamWin 0.97.3.

bye,

aru

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Today I have released the new patch for the latest version ClamWin 0.97.4.

bye,

aru

• 3 months later...