Is it possible to slipstream post-SP3 Windows Updates?

mitchsc

Thanks. I looked into that. I have an older PC with only 1GB of RAM. I read that more is needed to set up a virtual machine.

True - the more resources you have available to the guest OS the better. I know for the simple task of loading a test OS, running it through it's paces, clicking around, checking for errors, in fact I even programmed in my VM with VB6 Enterprise, wxPython, and used HTML Workshop - a Host system (XP SP3) with 1GB of RAM on an Athlon XP 1.533 Ghz CPU (or equivalent) should allow a Guest OS (XP SP3 or older) to load and function just fine - it did for me. Anything more recent like Vista or 7 would not be worth the effort but I have installed XP, 2K, a Linux breed or 2 on this setup with no problems, booting the host to a bare minimum - about 20% resources used, offering 512MB to the guest OS - no speed records were broken but the OS was usable.

Anyway, having read thru this thread a bit I can see some issues so I don't want to add to your frustration, suffice it to say a VM would be the best option for testing your new install disks over installing to your main system.

Also, most if not all the projects seem to be geared towards updating an installation disk so bone up on the jargon - slipping patches (hotfixes) versus addon packs, source disk, extracting the zip (or 7z) files, folder structure used, running .cmd or .bat files (you may want to open the files in Notepad, have a look at the logic), expect to offer full unedited error messages, explain in detail (leave out the non essential stuff) the steps you were performing.

Get any tools (utilities) setup ahead of time - like 7zip, and get used to how they work.

Don't use your desktop for your project - use a safe partition with plenty of space available for the project folder and new image file.

It's no excuse (I'm guilty on another forum) being short but understand these guys have offered the same explanations ad nauseam so the quicker to the point with a hint of effort does help soften the blow :)

Thank you -X-. I never intended for you to take the time to test the scenario. That was really very gracious. Also saved me a couple hours of recreating the ISO. THANKS!

And Mike, thank you for all the suggestions. The technical advice was very useful.

I appreciate your point of view in regards to certain responses I have received. I would propose that it took more effort to chastise me for being a "newbie" then it would have to just have answered the question. If that was intolerable for certain people, then I would again propose, just don't respond. I'm sorry, but there is no explanation I would find acceptable for being rude and disrespectful. I like to think that we live in a civilized society. I would also like to think that that includes cyber space.

There are others on this forum, such as yourself and -X-, that have been kind and helpful. For that I am grateful. I have learned a great deal, and that is always of value. I will never be a computer expert, nor is that my goal. I am trying to create one CD for one PC (not my primary). It would actually take me less time to recreate the ISO from scratch, than to set up a virtual machine. Please don't misunderstand, I do appreciate the helpful suggestions tonight, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic. It's not my style. But if non-expert visitors to this forum are such a nuisance, perhaps there should be a large warning on the home page, that "this forum is for advanced users only". Seriously.

I regret that this issue has resurfaced. I have tried to put it behind me. I think I have figured out the basics of nLite, again through the kind assistance of certain experts on this forum, so I will try not to visit often, if at all.

Again, than you very much...

Sincerely, M

Edited by mitchsc

It would actually take me less time to recreate the ISO from scratch, than to set up a virtual machine.

I hear you, but the process of creating the ISO (what you've been discussing) and the process of testing (my points about a VM) are different - just so you know. The created image may appear to be fine but until you install the OS you generally don't know, that's all I was getting at with using a VM.

I regret that this issue has resurfaced.

I'm sorry you feel so offended, I really don't think anyone meant to have that affect with the comments (and I surely didn't mean to revisit it, I had just read the thread before I posted). I'll say this, look at some of this as the price of interacting on a public forum. You're getting the help you need, the more you learn the less questions you will have down the road and the less someone can yell at you :)

Honestly, don't let it get to you so much, and I wont mention this again.

Mike- You're obviously a good guy, and I really do appreciate the technical support and suggestions. I also appreciate the advice in regards to having a "thicker skin". :) I'll give it my full consideration.

Back to the topic of VMs. As you may have guessed, I never ever heard of a VM before this forum. It sounds like an excellent and safe tool for testing. It may be straight forward to create one. I haven't looked into the process. I just have a sense that it's something I would rarely use. Of course, not ever having used one, I may be surprised. It's been interesting, and even fun at times working on my computers. But my goal is strictly maintenance and repair. I'm afraid it's too late for me to reach the level of expertise that clearly exists on this forum.

Well, now you have me curious. Can you recommend a good site where I can read "accurate" information on VMs and how to create one? I know I can Google it, but I've discovered that half of what I read out there is incorrect.

I'm going to burn that CD right now and see whether it loads. Yikes !!!

Thanks again... M

Google "Virtual Machine" for scads of info.

Several come to mind - Virtual PC (Microsoft), Virtual Box (GNU), VMWare, and on-and-on.

For VPC (MS' version), google "virtual pc guy" for lots of info.

They're not that difficult, allow for a great "test bed" (including maint/repair). Whenever I need to "figure out" something, I fire up the associated OS' VM. Also keep an image of the VHD (Virtual Hard Drive, called by many names) of clean installs to speed things up in case I "whack" an OS. Good for "sandboxing" too (let that virus eat it - I don't care, my Host is safe).

Bear in mind, that each has or lacks features (comparatively speaking).

Well thanks SubMix. That gives me a great starting point.

Without realizing it until this moment, I guess I actually have my own "hard" version of a VM. When I want to test something I'm not sure about, I've just popped in a clone of my HDD. If I destroy it, I just re-clone. Take about 10 minutes. But the VM sounds a lot simpler.

Also, big news on my end! The slipstream went well, and loaded flawlessly the 1st time. Knocked off hours of update loading, etc. (as you well know). nLite is absolutely awesome!

Thanks again for all the help...

I have an older PC with only 1GB of RAM. I read that more is needed to set up a virtual machine.

True

Well... if the goal is just to have the guest OS install and see it run/test it, I've done it with 512MB (reserving half for the guest, and XP as host). Of course if you intend to actually use the OS, or have Vista as host, it is different.

After all, according to Microsoft, XP does install with 64MB.

• 3 weeks later...

Variation on the question: Is it possible to do the XP post-SP3 slipstream when using Win7 (and not even x64)? I ask because no matter what I do, cabtool.exe (found here: http://xdot.tk/updates.html) flames out with "Can't initialize cabinet module." I've searched old (very old) threads on this and have ensured that the couple support files mentioned are in System32. I've also added a couple Registry entries that at the time were said to be necessary. I even tried putting the .EXE in XP compatibility mode. Nope, nope, and nope.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, it worked fine (with the IE8 update) on W7 SP1 x86.

In case it's of any interest: in the midst of the batch, W7 put up a UAC prompt, but I believe that was the only interaction required. Also, post install, KB2115168 was listed as a High Priority update. I do see WindowsXP-KB2115168-x86-ENU.exe in my updates dir on W7, and it was included in nLite like all the others, so I'm not sure why WU thinks it's not installed, but it's not a big deal.

I see here that it updates l3codecx.ax to 1.6.0.52, but the one in System32 is 1.6.0.51 (not the original since it has a new date).

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2115168