Is it possible to slipstream post-SP3 Windows Updates?

mitchsc

WARNING! It's never safe to run things from the Desktop or the root of any drive (e.g. C-drive). Always create a folder and work within it unless specifically told otherwise. You could hose yourself big time!

(edit @ -X- below - Just a generalized fair warning...)

Edited by submix8c

Thank you both very much for the explanation. That really clarified things.

Regarding the folder location: I use Firefox, and as you know, it downloads everything to a folder called "Downloads" in "My Documents". That is where the zip folder went. I don't usually work out of the Downloads folder so I moved the folder with the unzipped UDC-04.15.11 folder to the Desktop. As mentioned previously, got error messages trying to open the batch file there. When moving the UDC-04.15.11 folder (that the Zip folder created) to the C: directory, it appeared to work, but then I stopped due to concerns about where the download was going to end up.

After downloading the Zip file from the Updates site, and unzipping it, where do you recommend I locate it? You have indicated that both locations I selected are not appropriate.

Once I get this batch file open, I'm assuming that the list of Windows updates will populate the folder with the batch file in it, and that list is what I integrate into nLite.

Thank You Again.

It will download to the folder that contains wget.exe and UDC-04.15.11.cmd. So in your case C:\UDC-04.15.11.

I'm not sure why you got an error. It should work anywhere.

Downloaded Windows Updates zip file from new URL http://xdot.tk/updates.html.

Opened folder which contained UDC-04.15.11.cmd and wget.exe.

Double clicked UDC-04.15.11.cmd, then RUN

Get same error message each time and 2 different PC's: "wget missing! Place wget.exe in same directory as this batch file. Press any key to exit"

Tried different directories on PC. Tried downloading from IE7 instead of Firefox. Installed .NET Framework 2.0. No change.

Suggestions?

Thanks

Step#1 - Downloaded Windows Updates zip file from new URL http://xdot.tk/updates.html

Step#3 - Opened folder which contained UDC-04.15.11.cmd and wget.exe.

Step#4 - Double clicked UDC-04.15.11.cmd, then RUN

?Where is Step#2, dude? The package has to be decompressed (missing Step#2).

Make it easy for you -

1 - Download 7-zip (google it - it's free) Installer Package for Windows and Install it

2 - NOW do Step#2 by right-clicking the Step#1 Downloaded ZIP file (DO NOT OPEN IT) and select "Extract Here"

--- A folder will be created with the same name as the ZIP file - open THAT

--- Proceed with Step#3 and #4

You're making a common "newbie" mistake of assuming that clicking on a ZIP file and "seeing contents" means that they're UN-compressed and "usable". Not True! A "zip" file is Compressed and must be De-Compressed. Could have been done using built-in XP functions but, hey, that would have meant explaining something else.

What can I say Dude. I AM a newbie. Bet you were one too at some point. :-)

I read that in XP, double clicking a Zip file is the same as extracting. I just looked it up again in the MS Knowledge base, and it "appears" to be what they are saying. (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cf_extract.mspx?mfr=true) Double clicking DOES work. However, I just figured out what I did wrong in the "double click method". I didn't drag the uncompressed file to a new location. Just tested it and it works the same as your method. Although, your procedure is simpler and faster. So... yet again, you taught me something new. Thank you.

As long as you are showing me the errors of my ways, there is one thing I'm still not clear about. When opening the .cmd file, the DOS message sounds like it is comparing the Windows Updates in the batch file to the updates already installed on the PC, and excluding the ones that are not needed. I may be (and probably am) misinterpreting that, but I need to know because I want to create a CD with ALL updates since SP3 release. If it excludes any because they are already installed, then that is an issue. So... care to clarify another newbie mistake I am making?

Thanks SubMix...

It's not comparing them to the updates installed on your PC. It is seeing if the update is already in the folder you extracted.

Thanks -X- for the straightforward response. I get it now. Will go forward with the download.

And thanks again for putting together the Updates list. That's really generous...

I just did my first slipstream with nLite. All went fairly well thanks to your previous explanations.

When I selected the Post-SP3 Windows Updates from the batch file download (UDC-04.15.11b), I accidentally included the wget file for integration. During the integration process, I received an error that just suggested I document the problem, but let me continue on and finish the entire process.

Before I burn the ISO to the CD and try installing it, would you recommend that I start over and recreate the ISO without this wget file, or do you think this should not cause a problem loading and running XP?

Thank you very much...

Thanks -X-

I'll burn the CD and give it a go.

Very cool program !

Is there any way to confirm the wget,exe isn't included?

Edited by mitchsc

Is there any way to confirm the wget,exe isn't included?

You may want to use a virtual machine to test your images before bothering with a full blown install - sorry if you already intended to do so :)