Remote files access through VPN.

Sfor

I'm looking for alternative ways to transmit and receive files from remote computers trough VPN connections. The problem is to get a reliable free software with Windows 98 support.

1) Microsoft Networking works, but it is relatively slow and exploited by quite a number of trojans and other unwanted stuff. I found no good way to block the Microsoft Networking services to work in just one direction, as I can not block incoming traffic with a firewall. The Linksys/Cisco RV042 router's firewall does not process the VPN inbound traffic, apparently.

2) Some VNC software do have the file transfer ability, but there are numerous issues with these. Also the file transfer speed seems to be quite a slow one.

a ) Tight VNC - the version with Windows 98 support does have a problem with slow connections. The client keeps hanging if there is a need of the full screen refresh. The file transfers seems to be reliable, but slow. The Linux client can not transfer files, apparently.

b ) Ultra VNC - very feature rich, yet very problematic on integrated Intel graphic adapters with Windows 98. The client hangs on Windows 98 while receiving files from remote locations (it is necesary to use the Java client instead). I found no good linux client supporting file transfers properly, so far.

3) The FTP seems to be the best choice when the transfer speed is the key factor. Well, the speed is importand, but the simplicity of usage is more important. I do not have much experience to be able to evaluate this idea. I had no opportunity to use Windows 98 based FTP servers or easy to use clients.

So, I'm looking for additional ideas and softawe related to these topics. Since all the communication is going through the hardware secured VPN tunnels, the software does not need to use encryption.

Edited by Sfor

Well, I'm using the PUTTY to access linux console form Windows remotely. But, I see no possibility to access Windows, the same way. Some additional software would have to be running on the Windows remote end, I think.

I was looking for a way to access remotely Windows text console for quite a time, already. The VNC does not work for the full screen text modes.

Edited by Sfor

Will TeamViewer work for you/help in any way? I've used it along with a cousin in Florida to fix the sound on his PC after he "upgraded the OS" on it. The Full Version download and an accompanying package (unnecessary) can be used free for home use. Additionally, you can run it and tell it to run StandAlone without install. Worked pretty good and claims to be supported 98 thru 2k8 (as seen in the link). Browse around the site for more info.

P.S. Very similar to Remote Assistance (two-ended execution with a "session-id" and "password") but not exactly (more features). Also claims to allow for multi-networking (more than just two interacting PC's).

(GUI - not text)

Edited by submix8c

I was looking for a way to access remotely Windows text console for quite a time, already. The VNC does not work for the full screen text modes.

Have you looked at Cygwin's ssh server?

I have serious doubts if the Cygwin with ssh will be able to provide remote access to DOS full screen applications. In theory, since Cygwin is a linux API it should provide a remote acces just for linux applications. On the other hand it could be an option for the remote files transfer problem.

Will TeamViewer work for you/help in any way? I've used it along with a cousin in Florida to fix the sound on his PC after he "upgraded the OS" on it. The Full Version download and an accompanying package (unnecessary) can be used free for home use. Additionally, you can run it and tell it to run StandAlone without install. Worked pretty good and claims to be supported 98 thru 2k8 (as seen in the link). Browse around the site for more info.

P.S. Very similar to Remote Assistance (two-ended execution with a "session-id" and "password") but not exactly (more features). Also claims to allow for multi-networking (more than just two interacting PC's).

(GUI - not text)

I'm well aware of the Team Viewer. But, since I'm planning to use the solution in wider range I can not stick to "for noncommercial use" clausule. This solution is much too expensive to use it in small scale business. Besides, I have a working VPN solution, already. So, the strongest point of the Team Viewer does bring me nothing new.

A full version of Real VNC could do the trick (if it works as advertised). It's price is just 30 USD for a licence, so it's way cheaper then the Team Viewer. The freeware version seems to be the most reliable VPN software for Windows 98, so far.