windows xp cd key help

flyhigh427

hi hope yall can help me to understand this.

i have many computers i buy a sales , mostly i buy dells but there are other brands,my question is ,are the cd keys on the side of the computer the same as the two boxes i bought from staples?

i have windows home upgrade and windows pro ,ive googled this many times,,what i do on these computers is wipes hard drive reload the matching windows back on that machine but it want let me change the cd key to the cd key on the side of the computer.

need help understanding this ,please

thanks

You've triple-posted (hope that was just a boo-boo).

I'll try to answer in this topic/post (the other will probably be merged and/or deleted by an admin/moderator/supervisor).

1 - The Home Upgrade CD is undoubtedly Retail and the keys from the PC's can't be used with it.

2 - The Professional CD is unknown but probably Retail (unknown as to Full or Upgrade).

3 - "Full" means installable onto a PC without an OS or as an Upgrade. "Upgrade" means only usable on a PC that has a preexisting older OS (or maybe to "repair" previously upgraded).

4 - The "keys" on the purchased PC's aren't usable with the CD's you purchased since they're OEM (probably) COA's. They could, however "AFAIK) be used with a corresponding OEM System Builder CD ("generic", I believe) which could be "altered" (see Multi-Manufacturer Preinstall topic) to use the Internal Key on any given PC (then it's not a "generic CD/Key).

AFAIK, the COA keys (on the PC's) are legit with that PC (an OEM install) only and no other but you have to have one or the other of #4 above. If they came with a Hard Drive, just follow instructions on the "Multi-Manufacturer" topic. Also, any PC's with a Hard Drive could very well have a Recovery Partition (find that PC's make/model documentation) that you could simply "Restore To Factory", thus saving a lot of headache.

edit - DUDE! 4 Posts! STOP IT!!! Stick to one...

Edited by submix8c