Windows 7 setup via USB stick keeps looping

After doing RT7lite and Vlite, I create an USB stick with my windows on it using RT7lite.

Unfortunately, after setup reboots the pc (after copying files etc) it boots from USB drive again! so setup wil never reach first logon unless I unplug the usb stick at the right moment.

Since I did not read similar stories I hope someone has an idea whats causing this...

OK so it has nothing to do with removed components. It happens even with an unmodified Win7 ISO using MS Windows USB Tool. Can't imagine nobody complains about this because you will have to stay by your pc and pull out the stick (and put it back again) during the two reboots (or disable USB boot in the BIOS after the first reboot).

Are most ppl still using dvds?

Its because of bootfix which removes the "press any key to boot" message. Also BIOS differences can cause different results. Some BIOS will see a USB key as a removable drive, or as a fixed disk. And you can change these settings. Some BIOS have a "boot USB devices first" option as well. So you could see there would be a lot of differences in people's personal experience. Here is one example:

On an Intel desktop board, it will see the USB key as a hard drive, and will boot off the USB key if the hard drive is blank. After the install is done on the USB key and reboots, it will boot off the hard drive because the Intel BIOS prioritizes HDD to UFD for booting. If you still needed to boot off the UFD, you can change the Fixed Disk boot order in the BIOS or use the One-Time Boot Menu.

I currently do new installs using a DVD and a USB key that has an answer file on it.

Additionally.

Most newish motherboard have an "exception" hot-key that allows booting from USB only once (leaving the BIOS boot order the "normal" one with internal HD first).

The common alternative is to use a bootmanager like grub4dos to emulate the "standard" behaviour of the "press any key" within a given timeout.

By cleverly using the

command and settings file you can also set a USB stick in such a way that it boots different things (like the USB stick itself or the internal HD) on "odd" or "even" boots.

Like First boot=USB ->next boot=HD->next boot=USB ....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yes I also have the option to hit one the Function keys during BIOS boot to select a boot device, independent of what the order normally is. But these things differ per motherboard so I would just like to have the option "Press a key..." back. using an alternative bootmanager for the usbstick compatible with x64 is the way to go for me.

Since the original Windows ISO does show the message "press a key..." it might be very simple: extract the bootsector from the ISO and put it on the USB stick, overwriting the existing bootsector..

just an idea..

• 1 year later...

Also having this problem requiring to remove the stick @ each reboot. Tried moving the bootfix.bin file to the stick but the file seems to be identical anyhow? Still does

not work. Anyone had any joy with this??

I'm using the RUFUS usb program & find it excellent bar the above. Would much prefer to use usb for my installs now as they are growing too much with apps to DVD install.

Hey guys, do you have an idea of HOW bootfix.bin works? :unsure:

The CD bootsector (the 2048 byte file sometimes referred to as "Arnes Boot Record" or "Microsoft Corporation.img") innvokes TWO files:

1. bootfix.bin
  2. setupldr.bin

to use bootfix.bin on a FAT or NTFS filesystem, all you have to do is to write a bootsector capable of invoking TWO files (instead of one).

But if grub4dos (or similar) bootmanager is used there are ways.....

Here is an old example:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=16980&st=5

WinsetupfromUSB, not-so-casually, has a suitable (more complex) menu system exactly for this reason:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hey guys, do you have an idea of HOW bootfix.bin works? :unsure:

The CD bootsector (the 2048 byte file sometimes referred to as "Arnes Boot Record" or "Microsoft Corporation.img") innvokes TWO files:

1. bootfix.bin
  2. setupldr.bin

to use bootfix.bin on a FAT or NTFS filesystem, all you have to do is to write a bootsector capable of invoking TWO files (instead of one).

But if grub4dos (or similar) bootmanager is used there are ways.....

Here is an old example:

http://www.911cd.net...opic=16980&st=5

WinsetupfromUSB, not-so-casually, has a suitable (more complex) menu system exactly for this reason:

http://www.msfn.org/...omusb-with-gui/

jaclaz

Certainly no pro though have been a member here for quite some time & also @ the CD forum, member EKIM testing in the early days Barts PE bootable discs & more recently here doing Unattended installs.

Just looking for something more satisfactory than a

25 year old CD or 15 year old DVD as an install media! USB being so small & soo cheap now seems the logical alternative.

Have looked @ a all in one USB utility to boot & install windows, have it working to a point but would prefer a fully comprehensive unattended solution.

I have since contacted Pete the maker of RUFUS & He said will update his version for W7 to similar as per his fix for XP using the prog on USB. When done this will be so useful!

The install time on a stripped down version of W7 X64 will be considerably quicker by USB than DVD. can't wait.

• 1 month later...

Hi MC,

I used yesterday for the first time the latest Rufus tool v1.2 to build a W7_x64 in a usb stick.... friendly use and very fast... simply GREAT :)

However, once the usb stick is ready, it is yet possible to manipulate (add, delete, rename) files like ike Autounattend.xml, personal files inside \sources\$OEM$\ folder as well as adding a software's folders???

TNX to let me know further.

Edited by coucou

However, once the usb stick is ready, it is yet possible to manipulate (add, delete, rename) files like ike Autounattend.xml, personal files inside \sources\$OEM$\ folder as well as adding a software's folders???

from the website http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Finally, please remember that once formatted, your drive is still usable as before to transfer data: it doesn't have to be dedicated for DOS or ISO installation only.
Edited by maxXPsoft

Hi MC,

I used yesterday for the first time the latest Rufus tool v1.2 to build a W7_x64 in a usb stick.... friendly use and very fast... simply GREAT :)

Hi Coucou

I believe you can manipulate the files. I have tried his new release once though still having some issues!

Will start fresh with another source to test.