WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

Desperate for help.
Tried to install Windows XP to use a good laser printer (no good drivers after XP).

Tried to use WinNTSetup v3.8.6 to make a XP VHD – no go.
So then tried to use WinNTSetup v3.8.6 to install Windows XP to a 4 GB partition.
Used my system / boot partition (with BCD files) as the boot drive.
All seemed to go well until reboot and XP install said it could not find all the install files needed.

Now stuck with a system that will only boot to a blue install error screen.
Have EasyBCD and BOOTICE and tried to remove any reference to WindowsXP in any BCD files I could find on any partition – but system still wants to boot to the Windows XP install error screen.

Now booting to system from a portable drive – that if I remove, system freezes.
Don’t want to mess it up any worse.
So could someone PLEASE tell me how to remove whatever it is that will not allow my normal BCD options to load at boot.
MANY Thanks

Hi RUSerious,

If you install XP to an existing NT6 system WinNTSetup
will add a {legacy} boot option to your BCD menu and set this one as default.
In some cases the bootsector will also be changed to load NTLDR.

To revert this:

1. use bootice an set the PBR / MBR of the boot partition to BOOTMGR / Windows 6.x

2. use bootice to set the BCD default option to what you want.

Edited by JFX

YES, THANK YOU.
Did this:
Bootice >> BCD Edit >> Set Default (made no difference).

Then did this:
Bootice (Physical Disk tab, system / boot partition chosen) >> Process PBR >> BOOTMGR (NTLDR was already selected, changed to BOOTMGR) >> Install / Config
And that did it .!!

Did not change / Process MBR since Windows NT 5.x / 6.x MBR was already selected.
Bootice (Physical Disk tab, system / boot partition chosen) >> Process MBR >> Windows NT 5.x / 6.x MBR

8 hours ago, RUSerious said:

Did not change / Process MBR since Windows NT 5.x / 6.x MBR was already selected.
Bootice (Physical Disk tab, system / boot partition chosen) >> Process MBR >> Windows NT 5.x / 6.x MBR

A word of warning (most probably unneeded).

The NT 5.x and 6.x MBR code are NOT the same (though of course they do the same thing, i.e. chainload the bootsector or PBR of the active partition), there might be issues with Bitlocker/TCPA and NT 5.x MBR, though it is usually NOT a problem:

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/mbr.html

On 7 and later you can use bootsect.exe to restore also the original MBR, adding the /mbr switch.

jaclaz

On 5/18/2016 at 4:35 AM, jaclaz said:

On 7 and later you can use bootsect.exe to restore also the original MBR, adding the /mbr switch.

Good to know, Thanks jaclaz
BTW, found an easy way to get an XP VHD.
Use these instructions to get the VHD from MS:
http://www.picohelp.com/1264/how-to-run-windows-xp-in-windows-8-with-virtualbox-6-simple-steps.html

If your not on Windows 7, and can’t extract from the WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe file, then run that exe file and make a copy of the extraction folder (it creates) before clicking OK on the Windows 7 ONLY message (which deletes the extraction folder).

Then use the tips in link above to get to the actual XP VHD.
Then use a VM app as in link above to run the VHD.

• 2 weeks later...

JFX

Maybe you could research a way to use an .iso as the wim input format. WinNTSetup will then only extract the install.wim from the .iso to a temporary location. This would be usefull for me as I have, at the moment, both ISO files and .WIM files so it takes double the space to keep them.

I am aware that I can extract the .ISO files and then use the full path on WinNTSetup but by doing so it also changes the checksum of the ISO and I don't want that.

1 hour ago, AlexCeed said:

JFX

Maybe you could research a way to use an .iso as the wim input format. WinNTSetup will then only extract the install.wim from the .iso to a temporary location. This would be usefull for me as I have, at the moment, both ISO files and .WIM files so it takes double the space to keep them.

I am aware that I can extract the .ISO files and then use the full path on WinNTSetup but by doing so it also changes the checksum of the ISO and I don't want that.

You don't need to "extract" the .iso, you can mount it as a virtual drive with IMDISK or other similar tool/driver.

jaclaz

24 minutes ago, AlexCeed said:

I'm using WinNTSetup in a WinPE environment. I don't think I can use IMDISK.

Why not? :w00t:

IMDISK is normally used in PE's alright :) but if all you need is to mount a .iso and for *whatever reasons* you don't like IMDISK there are several alternatives, including filedisk  and even the good ol' virtual CD control panel by MS could do (for 32 bit).

A number of program of this kind are listed here (JFYI):
http://reboot.pro/topic/1507-ramdisk-and-filedisk-drivers/

Specifically for IMDISK, you can install it on-the-fly (see FGA #13):
http://reboot.pro/topic/15593-faqs-and-how-tos/

or plainly install the driver with SC, *like*:

http://reboot.pro/topic/5531-install-and-uninstall-imdisk/?p=43137

(this will work with most of these drivers)

jaclaz

You can select an ISO file by right-click on the source button.

Starting with WinPE4 the ISO file will be mounted and if exists the \sources\install.wim will be set as source.

Older OS will execute Tool\WinNTSetup_iso.cmd.

You really thought of everything --that's how all coders should be. Great job (again)!

Is there any way of doing this by cmd? Load the iso and set the image index?

Edited by AlexCeed
didn't check