Registry keys that control explorer folder-view options

Guest wsxedcrfv

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"WebView"=dword:00000001

I've looked at two different win-98 systems and neither have that "webview" key in the registry.

And when I add that key and set it's value to 1, it does nothing. It does not put explorer in webview.

So I have to conclude that the registry key you speak of above does not apply to windows 98.

Is the webview setting or status found in the .htt file of any directory where the user has enabled webview?

Is there no global webview = yes or webview = no in the registry?

Well use regshot and you'll see what registry changes are taking place when you enable/disable that setting, there are more changes than that but this one obviously seemed to be the relevant one.

And bear in mind that changing a global explorer setting in the registry does not instantly apply that setting, you'll need to either reboot, log off and back on or terminate and relaunch the explorer.exe process with a suitable process manager such as sysinternals Process Explorer to have such a setting to be applied.

Guest wsxedcrfv

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

I've looked at two different win-98 systems and neither have that "webview" key in the registry.

And when I add that key and set it's value to 1, it does nothing. It does not put explorer in webview.

So I have to conclude that the registry key you speak of above does not apply to windows 98.

And bear in mind that changing a global explorer setting in the registry does not instantly apply that setting, you'll need to either reboot, log off and back on or terminate and relaunch the explorer.exe process with a suitable process manager such as sysinternals Process Explorer to have such a setting to be applied.

Well, like I said, I don't think that win-98 systems have a "webview" value anywhere in the registry. But apparently XP systems do - but there is no such "View as Webpage" setting in explorer under XP.

This thread: http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=138722 (post #10) has this:

============

May / 2003

Hurrah.. finally got it fixed!! As I assumed the "view as web page" was disabled.

This restores the default registry entries for Web View, though it doesn't restore the Shell's registry entries also used in Webview. (I restored those and also found a zip .reg file to do that) Webvw also contains the htt template and graphic files used in Web View and this command will extract them.

start button> run

regsvr32.exe webvw.dll

[enter]

==============

There's no real indication from that thread where exactly the .reg file was obtained, but it could have been from here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080402105725/http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Music/9899/

A listing of various batch and reg files to do various things - not obvious which of them could play a role in web-view.

The part about webvw.dll is interesting. I also came across this: lost ability to view as webpage. how to get it back?

http://thedailyreviewer.com/windowsos/view/view-as-webpage-109718983

==============

Answer: Try this:

Click Start>Run, type:

REGSVR32 THUMBVW.DLL and click OK.

Click Start>Run, type:

REGSVR32 WEBVW.DLL and click OK.

=================

So I think we now basically know that webvw.dll and possibly thumbvw.dll are involved with making "view as webpage" work, but I still don't know where (on a win-98 system) the "view as webpage" setting is stored for any directory that the user has set that setting.

I'll try nuking webvw.dll and see how windows likes that.

As you said, I don't have this registry value either here in my Windows 98 SE pc ;) .

As you said, I don't have this registry value either here in my Windows 98 SE pc ;) .

On Windows ME this is the switch between classic view and web view but anyway if you use regshot to see registry changes after toggling webview on or off through the folder options dialog, then you'll find what that switch is for Windows 98. ;)

I am not sure why you don't wan't to use that regshot tool wsxedcrfv... :}

:D

Guest wsxedcrfv

I've used regshot before, and it can show a lot of extra changes or differences between shots that don't really seem applicable to what you're looking for.

So ok, I've done a some-what careful session using regshot, and it seems that the following registry entries are involved with changing the explorer folder-view settings:

HKLM\Software\CLASSES\Component-Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Enum\Implementing

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Hidden

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\HideFileExt

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\FullPath

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState\Settings

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellState

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\0\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\1\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\2\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\4\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\5\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\8\CabView

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\8\ViewView2

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Settings

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_EHAJZPZQ\0k2,702p

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_EHAJZPZQ\0k2,n123

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_EHAJZPZQ\0k2,n220

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_EHAJZPZQ\

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_HVGBBYONE\0k1,130

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_HVGBBYONE

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{5E6AB780-7743-11CF-A12B-00AA004AE837}\Count\HRZR_PGYFRFFVBA

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\UserAssist\{75048700-EF1F-11D0-9888-006097DEACF9}\Count\HRZR_PGYFRFFVBA

I have some doubts that the "Explorer\Streams" entries are legitimately involved in explorer view settings.

Almost any change to a view setting seems to involve or cause a change in 7 to 13 registry keys.

Of particular note are these value names located in HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\

- Hidden

- HideFileExt

- FullPath

I tried to upload a txt file to fileden showing how those keys changed value as specific view settings were changed, but for some reason fileden isin't allowing me to download any of my txt files I have there. Other files (jpg, gif, rar, zip) seem to work fine. So while I can upload new .txt files without errors, it's giving me a "You don't have permission to access ..." message when I try to download them.

Are the strange keys located under UserAssist documented anywhere?

Are the strange keys located under UserAssist documented anywhere?
There is lots of info in a page by Helamonster and his handy, dependable and quite funny named little utility, UserAss, that does a pretty good job at eliminating UserAssist from the registry once and forevermore. :w00t:

The link given is to v. 1.2.0.0... v. 1.2.1.0 only added some command-line switches and changed the default behavior to try to delete the keys on opening, which results in a windows error, when they're already deleted for good. I had it, but after using it for a very short time downgraded back to v. 1.2.0.0, to avoid the annoying windows error on opening. It has not been saved by the internet archive, but I may look for it on my old backups, if anyone really wants it. It's not worthy the effort, though, IMO, since it adds nothing really useful to v. 1.2.0.0.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I thought that the "UserAssist" keys looked familiar. A few years ago, during my tweaking of a production image of XP, one of the things I did was to create a "NoEncrypt" and "NoLog" key values under UserAssist/Settings and set them both to 1.

I notice that on this win-98 system I'm using right now (not the one where I posted the above regshot results) I have a "NoLog" entry, which I think I added years ago.

I will have to try adding those entries to the other win-98 system and perform the regshot analysis again and see if anything changes.

Am I correct in assuming that the "NoLog" key value will act act as a substitute for Helamonster's elaborate deletion scrips by preventing windows from creating these keys in the first place?

I have some doubts that the "Explorer\Streams" entries are legitimately involved in explorer view settings.

Actually they are, those keys are where individual folders settings are remembered.

I tried to upload a txt file to fileden showing how those keys changed value as specific view settings were changed, but for some reason fileden isin't allowing me to download any of my txt files I have there. Other files (jpg, gif, rar, zip) seem to work fine. So while I can upload new .txt files without errors, it's giving me a "You don't have permission to access ..." message when I try to download them.

Perhaps you could zip that text file before uploading it then. ;)

And make sure you change only the "enable web content in folders" setting when you make those difference snapshots.

Guest wsxedcrfv

Something I'm noticing is that I can make no change in the Explorer View settings (for example, by re-applying the same setting) and Regshot will detect a difference in the registry.

For example, if you open Explorer (double-click on "My Computer") and select -> View -> Folder Options -> View tab and click the "Make all Like Current Folder" button, and then you close Explorer and then open it again and click the "Make all Like Current Folder", then you'd think that you didn't change anything (there should be no difference between the two clicks). But there are differences in these 4 key values:

HKLM\Software\CLASSES\Component Categories\{00021493-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Enum\Implementing:

HKLM\Software\CLASSES\Component Categories\{00021494-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\Enum\Implementing:

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Settings:

HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\0\CabView:

I'm attaching the before and after key values for the above keys to this post. It appears that some values are simply incremented by 1, with most or all other other values remaining the same. So on first look it seems that a simple count value might be saved here - not sure why or how it's used by Windows - it doesn't seem like useful information.

It does make it more difficult to track down which registry values are responsible for which explorer view settings because clicking the "make all like current folder" is usually applied after making a change (like "show hidden and system files").

diff.txt

• 5 months later...

has anyone really got to the bottom of this?

I used regshot, grabbed the differences and created a .reg with the settings I like, but still the reg won't turn "classic style" to "custom" ...

extensions, hidden files etc save OK...

wsxedcrfv, post #18, stated;

"Well, like I said, I don't think that win-98 systems have a "webview" value anywhere in the registry".

>Maybe not for activating WebView, but in relation to customisation of it;

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip9.htm

lists this subKey as possibly applicable to W98;

NoCustomizeWebView (= enable/disable Web View customization)

for the registry location mentioned in that webpage.

Edited by buyerninety