Registry keys that control explorer folder-view options

Guest wsxedcrfv

Guest wsxedcrfv

Every time I install win-98, I go through an agonizing process to configure explorer so that it shows me folder-views using the exact options that I want. I find that the most difficult thing for explorer to "learn" is that when I disable "view as web page" that I REALLY MEAN IT, and not just for right now, and not just for the folder that I'm looking at. I've never understood how to use the "view like current folder" and "reset all folders" buttons, and I really doubt they work properly anyways.

Basically, these are my preferred folder-view options:

Folder Options, General Tab:

- Windows Desktop Update - Custom, based on settings you choose: Settings:

- Active Desktop - Use Windows Classic Desktop

- Browse folders as follows: Open each folder in the same window

- View Web content in folders: Only for folders where I select "as Web Page"

- Click Items as follows: Double-click to open an item, single click to select

Folder Options, View Tab:

Files and folders:

- Allow all uppercase names (yes)

- Display the full path in title bar (yes)

- Hidden files: Show all files

- Hide file extensions for known file types (no)

- Remember each folders view settings (yes)

- Show Map Network Drive Button in toolbar (yes)

- Show pop-up description for folder and desktop items (yes or no, I don't care)

- Show windows contents while dragging (yes)

Now this isin't listed in the "folder options" config window (it appears in the explorer-view dropdown) but I want the default to be "Details" instead of "small icons".

So are there any examples of registry keys for each of the above settings (or where can I find the above settings and copy them) so I can include them in my msbatch.inf file so when I install win-98, it will already be set for the exact folder-view settings that I want. ?

And what about the registry key that disables the Warning message when I want to explore the /Windows or other sensitive or protected directories?

Guest wsxedcrfv

Specially here: Customising Explorer and the Start Menu.

Had a look there. Grabbed the "MoreOptions.reg" file and tried it. Really didn't see anything about where the "view as web-page" is located in the registry. Have found some registry entries for explorer folder view settings:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced

Came across a reference to the file "folder.htt", a file which exists by default in \windows, \windows\system, \windows\system32, \windows\web, and \program files. One suggestion for removing the "warning" message when trying to view the \windows folder is to replace folder.htt in the \windows directory with the one located in \program files directory (there are differences between the files apparently). I don't think I ever did that on my system, but I don't get the warning message so there must be another way disable the message. BTW, is there any harm in deleting these folder.htt files where-ever they're located?

I find that the most difficult thing for explorer to "learn" is that when I disable "view as web page" that I REALLY MEAN IT, and not just for right now, and not just for the folder that I'm looking at. I've never understood how to use the "view like current folder" and "reset all folders" buttons, and I really doubt they work properly anyways.

Trust me, I know exactly what you mean here. Not only on 98, but every day that I have to use an XP machine at college I have to go through getting rid of the lego look garbage, getting my Quick Launch Bar, and getting Explorer to be something useable.

The "Apply to All Folders" button does work, it's just there is a trick to it.

Open Explorer, just stay in the default folder, change the default view settings to what you want, go to Options, and set everything exactly the way you want it. Then click the "Apply to all Folders" button, and close out the dialog box AND Explorer. You have to close out Explorer and then re-open it for the settings to be applied to all folders and stay that way.

One you re-open it you won't even get the Warning messages on the Windows folder and so on, not even the first time.

Edited by LoneCrusader

when I disable "view as web page" that I REALLY MEAN IT, and not just for right now, and not just for the folder that I'm looking at.

What is happening is you are running into .hta files that force the web view upon you. They are named folder.htt and they need to be deleted with extreme prejudice. The only allowed folder.htt file should be in the Web folder if you have one. Use Find Files to find them, select them and right click delete them conveniently. Also guilty are desktop.ini files but some are neccessary so wholesale slaughter of those is NOT recommended. You need them in TIF, History, Cookies, Fonts and other 'special' Windows folders, but not in Windows folder or Program files folder - delete them too. If you REALLY MEAN it - delete and it goes away like magic.

I've never understood how to use the "view like current folder" and "reset all folders" buttons, and I really doubt they work properly anyways.

It DO, it DO. With one explorer window open, set it to the way you want it and close it with the X in the upper right corner and with Ctrl pressed. This causes the registry to record what the settings were and the next time you open Windows explorer it should be the same.

Guest wsxedcrfv

I came across a reference to create this key:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

"ClassicShell"=dword:00000001

It gets rid of the "Go" and "Favorites" explorer menu options - which cleans it up a little (I never use them). That key does kill the "view as web-page" setting, but it has a nasty side-effect - it grey's out all your taskbar toolbar options, meaning you lose your quick-launch bar. So that key is useless for me.

Have you, by chance, installed SE-to-ME? The ME "explorer.exe" (AFAIKR :unsure: ) has a side-effect to it that keeps forcing you back to "View As Web Page". If you did, go to the MDGx website and take a look; I believe there's some info on that...

• 2 weeks later...
set everything exactly the way you want it. Then click the "Apply to all Folders" button' date=' and close out the dialog box AND Explorer. You have to close out Explorer and then re-open it for the settings to be applied to all folders and stay that way.

[/quote']

13 years I was waiting for this! LOL.

Amazingly this bug has never been fixed not even in Vista. I told the Windows developement blog of that. I ignore if they fixed it in w7 (I never used w7 - too expensive).

In the meantime I used xplorer2 which fix all the annoying things in Explorer by default.

13 years I was waiting for this! LOL.

Amazingly this bug has never been fixed not even in Vista. I told the Windows developement blog of that. I ignore if they fixed it in w7 (I never used w7 - too expensive).

In the meantime I used xplorer2 which fix all the annoying things in Explorer by default.

Wow, I never knew I possessed any arcane knowledge.. :lol:

Hope it has been of assistance to everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Until a few months ago, I had my file managing exactly the way I wanted it.

For some reason it got messed up and I was too busy or lazy to try and fix it.

I couldn't remember what I had done to get it right, but I knew it was from a

tip on some Windows forum. Today I decided to nail it down. After googling the matter,

I wound up here. Of course, holding the Ctrl key down is how to get Windows to

register the view you want. But that's not the end of it.

What if you want the folder view to be one way and the file view another? After all

folders are bulky objects that contain other objects; like files. The large icon view is

good for folders or drives. List,details or small icons may be more suitable for

files, depending on their content. I may be missing something, but I don't think

Windows Explorer is capable of this. However My Computer and any shortcuts created

from My Computer is certainly capable.

This may be how my folder view got messed up. I added a Windows Explorer icon to

my Desktop, whereas previously I had stopped using it completely. On the occasions when

I used Windows Explorer it would cause the shortcuts from My Computer to revert to the

view they were when the Windows Explorer window was closed. Windows Explorer

has its strengths but there are better alternatives, like Free Commander.

Also. It's not necessary to delete folder.htt to get rid of the annoying Warning and additional

click to view files. A simple edit of folder.htt will do. Just add the line 'ShowFiles()' (without

the quotes) just under the last line in the 'function Init() {' section. Save and exit. You may

have to change read-only first. You'll still see the warning in 'View As Web Page' but the files

will be visible without another click in any view.This can be done in \Windows\System as well.

Edited by petekeller

I still want to know where the "view as web page" setting is kept. In the registry? Or somewhere else?

In the registry.

Enabled:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"WebView"=dword:00000001

Disabled:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"WebView"=dword:00000000

Btw, http://sourceforge.net/projects/regshot/ answers most of those kind of questions. ;)

Guest wsxedcrfv

"WebView"=dword:00000001

I've looked at two different win-98 systems and neither have that "webview" key in the registry.

And when I add that key and set it's value to 1, it does nothing. It does not put explorer in webview.

So I have to conclude that the registry key you speak of above does not apply to windows 98.

Is the webview setting or status found in the .htt file of any directory where the user has enabled webview?

Is there no global webview = yes or webview = no in the registry?