WinXP Pro -Sp2 Intergration

EdWh

:rolleyes:

Hi All, from EdWh

Directed here from last post by Sbrat,

I just finished creating a Dvd boot disk from intergrated WinXp Pro and Sp2, (WindowsXp-KB835935-Sp2- ENU.Exe) downloaded from Microsoft. I have sp2 original disk and your nlite does not contain link to Sp2 download. I would try sp3 but last attempt without sp2 installed refused to load with note, needs at least sp1 to install. I am using a Wnxp-pro Spo- 5.1.26800.21890 English.

All went well until I attempted to load on a 1 T/b Sata 6 drive and after installing all files and menu comes up that advises to furnish Sp2 disk in drive A., which of course is floppy so that is where I am at. Do not know how rest of install will go as cannot get beyond this menu. A regular install of operating disk, stops at menu that says, (Starting Windows and blue screen comes up with pci error. The error is caused by lack of files that are in the sp2 disk. I know for sure as I am writing on this machine with XP Home premium installed that includes Sp2. So need to get the Sp2 into the WinXp pro disk. I am running the new Gygabyte X58 board that includes the Sata 6 and Usb 3 ports.

The Sata 6 drive runs ok. on Windows but I also have Ubuntu Linux on half the drive (Dual Boot) and for anyone wondering Linux will not run the Sata 6 drive, the kernel needs updating and since most all of Linux uses the same kernel, Linux needs to update the Kernel.

I attached the wrong inf file to last post so am sending the correct one here from the preset folder. I believed that once the Sp2 files were copied and integrated Sp2 would be part of the install but the note of requiring the Sp2 disk, is a mystery to me. Can you advise what I am doing wrong??? And Sbrat asked if I had Sata drivers on cd and I do not have or know where to get them from, but assume that if I had them I could add as part of the options your program. Please advise where to download so I get put them on desktop and add to disk. Thanks a bunch and have a Merry Christmas, and for those who that offends if any, have a Merry Holiday. Mr. Welch Vet, Korean and part of ww11 European theater, I am telling my age!!! so have patience with me.

First, you may integrate the SP3 without integrating previous SP's via nLite. You do not need to have SP1 first as this is an "integrated" method. SP1 is only needed if you are tryng to install directly onto a running SP0 (i.e. RTM - no SP's). Installation will include the SP3.

Second, if you look at the very first nLite "stickies' (topics in the sub-forum), you'll find SATA driver packs that can be integrated as well, so no SATA problems during install.

Integrate just those, try a "test install", and then help will be given on "where to go" from there (other hotfixes, updates/upgrades/etc).

Tip - use CD-RW instead of CD-R so you can "reuse" them Just "erase" before reuse - many free tools to do this if you don't have any. (DOH! I guess I meant DVD-RW, reviewing your post...)

Trust MSFN and use the "search" function for any other questions. Nearly every "problem" encountered in XP (and solutions) has been addressed somewhere here. Links (click-on-me's) will be given as appropriate/necessary to preclude repetitions.

BTW, welcome, Sir Vet, and honors to you! You will, indeed be assisted with patience. (Vietnam-era vet here...)

p.s. use "full editor" to attach anything if necessary. Online Post "Help" is also available. Put yer glasses on and read a little. :lol:

Forgot to mention - just go to MS website search "Service Pack 3" and make sure you download the FULL package here (click me).

Edited by submix8c

Hi SBrat, Thanks for reply, I went to download site and it says if running in IDE mode drivers are not needed, appears they are for raid only. I do not use raid, but all this is new to me so if you can clarify would appreaciate it. Getting late now, so will have a go at it tomorrow, thanks again. Also received a reply at other site that I can use the Sp3 pack so will download that also tomorow. Thanks again. EdWH.

As Kel mentioned, if you have AHCI or SATA, it will give better performance for the hard drive. So, start up the PC and press-release (hit) Del continuously (it is different on different motherboards; it could also be F2, for example) and enter BIOS. Look around using the keyboard (arrow keys to move, Enter to confirm and Esc to go back) and see if you have SATA or AHCI. If there is just RAID, then you can just leave it to IDE and a driver won't be required. The fact that it's looking for a floppy tells me that it is probably not set to IDE.

Cheers

As Kel mentioned, if you have AHCI or SATA, it will give better performance for the hard drive. So, start up the PC and press-release (hit) Del continuously (it is different on different motherboards; it could also be F2, for example) and enter BIOS. Look around using the keyboard (arrow keys to move, Enter to confirm and Esc to go back) and see if you have SATA or AHCI. If there is just RAID, then you can just leave it to IDE and a driver won't be required. The fact that it's looking for a floppy tells me that it is probably not set to IDE.

Cheers

Hi Folks. :hello: Thanks for all the advise, the BIOS is set to IDE it is the default setting on this board and I always check it before starting a install. The windows cd loads the default Sata drivers from the install cd as I have watched the files being loaded and since the install sees the Sata Hdd and allows me to load the system with XP home it should do the same with XP pro. After install I load all the

Sata drivers and chipset drivers even though l do not use them as one day I might wish to use raid. Will get back to you after the next try with Sp3. Thanks for all the help. And I do use Dvd/rw instead of cd/rw as they have more room and both can be erased. Thanks again. EdWh

:thumbup

From- EdWh

Hi Kelvin, Ran a new compilation using Sp3 and it worked, ran to desktop and to be sure all was well, installed several programs and used the Gigabyte install cd and loaded all the drivers. All went well except for advise to use AHCI in place of IDE, shut my windows down real quick. Went back into Bios and reset to Ide, default and everything worked great. Thanks for all the help to a vet from way back and at my age things get slower bellieve me. Merry Christmas to all. Keep up the good work. EdWh

:thumbup

Hi Sbrat, Should have included you in last reply, I thought we were on two different spots on the forum. Thanks for all the help from you guys. My mistake shows my age. All you guys have a Merry Christmas and again thanks for helping all who have these kind of problems. EdWh.

All went well except for advise to use AHCI in place of IDE, shut my windows down real quick. Went back into Bios and reset to Ide, default and everything worked great.

If you changed from IDE to AHCI after you installed Windows, then it's no wonder you got an error. To have Windows set up in AHCI mode, you have to install it in AHCI along with the SATA/AHCI/RAID driver.

Cheers

All went well except for advise to use AHCI in place of IDE, shut my windows down real quick. Went back into Bios and reset to Ide, default and everything worked great.

If you changed from IDE to AHCI after you installed Windows, then it's no wonder you got an error. To have Windows set up in AHCI mode, you have to install it in AHCI along with the SATA/AHCI/RAID driver.

Cheers

:hello:

Hi S/Brat- Thanks-misunderstood the first suggestion thought could change anytime. To late now but will remember for next time. It shut me down quick I can tell you. Thanks again and Merry Christmas. You guys were a lot of help will take time to learn about

AHCI. Take care.