Windows Protection Error and Resources?

Tripredacus

I've got a dandy of a problem now!

So I am trying to get Wireless working on my PC after USB wasn't working I decided to switch to a PCI card. I found one that had drivers and started working on the system today. Here is the issue.

When the PCI Card is inserted:

- Windows Protection Error

- Can only boot into Safe Mode

When PCI card is not inserted:

- Windows boots into Normal Mode without error.

Here are the specs:

board: Intel D850MV

RAM: 768MB RDRAM PC800

CPU: Pentium 4 2.0GHz

Video: ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB AGP

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Live PCI

Wireless card: D-Link DWL-G510 PCI

I have 5 PCI Slots, and I have tried two of them already. Not interested in moving the SB card at this point. I have tried the following:

- Use MSCONFIG to temp disable autoexec.bat (it only has paths), config.sys (OS would not load), win.ini, system.ini and startup programs.

- Ran registry checker (no errors)

- Ran ASD (1 error, checked and rebooted)

- Removed ghost drivers in Safe Mode

- Ran step by step, load Win drivers, say N to all.

- Set Plug and Play OS in BIOS to No.

So I am wondering if this is possibly caused by a resource conflict or lack of resources? If this is so, any BIOS settings that may be helpful? Currently all resource allocation is set to AUTO in the BIOS. I could map the resources out and assign them manually I suppose. Also, the BIOS has onboard sound, parallel port and serial ports set to disabled.

I am also worried about running SFC since it may remove the custom files I have. Some updates found on MSFN, some files from Win98 SE and some old hacked files (like logo.sys, etc) so hopefully that won't be an answer. Also a reinstall is going to be out of the question for me.

What I will try while waiting for any ideas:

1. Remove LPT and COM devices from Device Manager in Safe Mode

2. Map out used resources in Normal Mode without the card inserted.

3. Try the other 2 slots.

Does the Windows Protection Error give any other info? What device / file is causing it?

You said you were using Win98 FE, is it possible it could be caused by the 98FE NDIS.VXD that has problems with faster processors, and the error is only showing up now that you are installing a networking device?

The MSKB article on this says it only affects 2.1GHZ + CPU's, but I thought I would mention it.

If this is the problem, it is the same issue discussed in my FIX95CPU thread. I have a copy of the hotfix for Windows 98FE if you need it. :)

The system has been fine with Win98 for many months. The error only happens if I boot into Normal Mode with the Wireless NIC installed. Otherwise it works just fine with the CPU, even when running programs that can use 2GHz.

There is no file that it reports with the error. Just says to restart the PC. Today it made me wish there was an Event Viewer on 98. The bootlog.txt/prv have no failures on either a crash or normal boot except it can't load some fonts.

When you say "Win98 FE modified," what all have you added?

If the Windows Protection Error isn't giving any other info, then that rules out what I suggested.

If I were going to guess, I would say that it has something to do with having more than 512MB of RAM, as I have never been able to get Windows 9X to run with more than 512MB installed without the RAM Limitation Patch or some other update. I know others have done it, but I never could. Possibly the Wireless NIC is eating up the "System Arena" in the first 16MB of RAM? Of course these are just guesses. I'll leave this one for the experts. :unsure:

Possibly the Wireless NIC is eating up the "System Arena" in the first 16MB of RAM? Of course these are just guesses. I'll leave this one for the experts. :unsure:

The first 16MB of Physical RAM is not the "System Arena" but it appears to be needed during Boot.

Try using the /M option with the Free Demo of my RAM Limitation Patch to see if it solves the problem.

Do the following steps:

1. Install the Demo using "PATCHM /M".

2. Shutdown immediately.

3. Turn off computer.

4. Install NIC Card.

5. Boot.

6. If Windows boots, do Steps 10 and 11, then do steps 7 and 8.

7. Turn off Computer.

8. Remove NIC Card.

9. Boot.

10. Uninstall RAM Limitation Patch Demo using "PATCHM"

11. Shutdown immediately.

the problem is solved

When you say "Win98 FE modified," what all have you added?

Win98 update pack here:

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

Win98se (or ME) usbstor.sys (and other req files for 2.0)

modified logo.sys ( I could technically live without this )

win98se ntkern.vxd

probably some other stuff, this 98 install is almost 10 years old!

PS: other such details (TL;DR) in Project Shiva link in my sig :ph34r: