Hardware ID

ripigs

....(that indeed is FAR better than hacking DLLs, but you seemingly have to sign the packages).....

Yes it is better and faster than hacking and then having to deal with updates and all that.

But on the signing the packages part, I did not have to do any type of signage.

Gr8 work ripigs, let us in on how you/we can do it

GOOD TO GO

These are the steps to take, some text is color coded for your ease to follow what to change and where to change it at, here we go . . .

1} Get the hardware id and the GUID of the product you want to change: ex - monitor

- Find the hardware id in the device manager: ex - MONITOR\SPT1801

- The GUID will be found in the deviec manager also by the name of Device class guid: ex - 4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318

2} Create a working directory

- ex - C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\

- ex - C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\

- ex - C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\DeviceInformation\

- ex - C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\WindowsInformation\

3} Download "CABARC"

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\

- CABARC.EXE

4} Get a new icon for the product you want to change: ex - monitor

- I just find an image of the real product and use IcoFX to make an icon out of the image

- Save it as monitor.ico

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\DeviceInformation\

5} Open up Notepad and paste this info in

- Take a look at DeviceCategory section, change this by using the provided Category List, download it CategoryList.txt

- Replace the info for the modelname and manufacture

- Save it as "DeviceInfo.xml"

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\DeviceInformation\

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>

<DeviceInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/DeviceInfo/2007/11/">

<DeviceCategoryList>

<DeviceCategory>Display.Monitor.LCD</DeviceCategory>

</DeviceCategoryList>

<ModelName>X195W-Naga</ModelName>

<Manufacturer>Sceptre</Manufacturer>

<DeviceIconFile>monitor.ico</DeviceIconFile>

</DeviceInfo>

6} Open up Notepad and paste this info in

- No need to change anything here

- Save it as "WindowsInfo.xml"

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\WindowsInformation\

<WindowsInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/WindowsInfo/2007/11/">

<ShowDeviceInDisconnectedState>false</ShowDeviceInDisconnectedState>

<LaunchDeviceStageOnDeviceConnect>true</LaunchDeviceStageOnDeviceConnect>

<LaunchDeviceStageFromExplorer>true</LaunchDeviceStageFromExplorer>

</WindowsInfo>

7} Open up Notepad and paste this info in

- Take a look at Locale section you might need to change that to yours

- Take a look at the hardwareID section

- Take a look at the experienceID section

- Save it as "PackageInfo.xml"

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\PACKAGES\

<PackageInfo xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/PackageInfo/2007/11/">

<MetadataKey>

<HardwareIDList>

<HardwareID>DOID:MONITOR\SPT1801</HardwareID>

</HardwareIDList>

<Locale default="true">en-US</Locale>

<LastModifiedDate>2010-07-23T00:00:00Z</LastModifiedDate>

</MetadataKey>

<PackageStructure>

<Metadata MetadataID="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/PackageInfo/2007/11/">PackageInfo.xml</Metadata>

<Metadata MetadataID="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/DeviceInfo/2007/11/">DeviceInformation</Metadata>

<Metadata MetadataID="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/DeviceMetadata/WindowsInfo/2007/11/">WindowsInformation</Metadata>

</PackageStructure>

<Relationships>

<ExperienceID>4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318</ExperienceID>

</Relationships>

</PackageInfo>

8} Open up Notepad and paste this info in

- Taking note of the GUID and the icon placment

- Save it as "MakeDeviceMetadata.cmd"

- Save it to C:\DEVICE\MONITOR\

cabarc.exe -r -p -P Packages\ N 4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318.devicemetadata-ms Packages\PackageInfo.xml Packages\DeviceInformation\DeviceInfo.xml Packages\DeviceInformation\monitor.ico Packages\WindowsInformation\WindowsInfo.xml

9} Open/Run the MakeDeviceMetadata.cmd

- It will do some stuff and close by it self

- Creating a file called 4d36e96e-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318.devicemetadata-ms

10} Now COPY that newly created file from step 9 to;

- C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceMetadataStore\en-US\

11} Close out ALL windows at this time

12} Go to your DEVICES AND PRINTERS window from your control panel and see if the changes are made

A quick note

The process is a little different for the COMPUTER itself

Another NOTE

If you find more than one hardware id, you must place them all in the section for STEP 7, doing like so

<HardwareIDList>

<HardwareID>DOID:MONITOR\SPT1801</HardwareID>

<HardwareID>DOID:MONITOR\Sfdrg801</HardwareID>

<HardwareID>DOID:MONITOR\SfgargfT1801</HardwareID>

<HardwareID>DOID:MONITOR\S548grfag401</HardwareID>

</HardwareIDList>

And yet another note

If in your hardware id is the & sign you need to edit that to &

But on the signing the packages part, I did not have to do any type of signage.

Then you probably turned off signing verification (i.e. Bcdedit -set testsigning ON) which is not as secure and does leave an ugly "Test Mode" watermark on the desktop too. Or perhaps you're running the 32 bit version of Win 7?

Otherwise, that's pretty much the same as seen on the web like here, or in MS' own docs.

TY so much this helped allot

BTW where can I find the full list of DeviceCategory's?

Example

Display.Monitor.LCD
PrintFax.Printer
Imaging.Scanner
etc

Edit: nevermind, coffefriend link has them

Edited by ricktendo64

Then you probably turned off signing verification (i.e. Bcdedit -set testsigning ON) which is not as secure and does leave an ugly "Test Mode" watermark on the desktop too. Or perhaps you're running the 32 bit version of Win 7?

Im running 32bit windows 7, not sure if signing verification is off or on, but there is no watermark or test mode for me????

BTW where can I find the full list of DeviceCategory's?

You can also download in from the info above

But for a lot of us, running the 32 bit version is not an option or very much the last resort.

OT :ph34r: , but I wonder (exception made for you and a few other blocks here on MSFN, that I would define "advanced users" :)) what is the actual *need* for 64 bit.

As often happens MS own articles and numbers within them are deceiving:

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/b/bloggingwindows/archive/2010/07/08/64-bit-momentum-surges-with-windows-7.aspx

6428.image_5F00_thumb_5F00_7627D54F.png

Percentage do not make much sense if you don't multiply them by actual quantities:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Rough numbers (Windows market share only, covering about 86%÷90% of the market and conversely 100% of MSFN members):

7-64 bit 46%x16%= 7%

Vista 64 bit 11%x20%= 2%

XP 64 bit 0.8%x50%= 4%

Total 64 bit= 13%

7-32 bit 54%x16%= 9%

Vista 32 bit 89%x20%=18%

XP 32 bit 99.2%x50%=50%

Total 32 bit= 87%

So, in the rest of the world the large majority is using 32 bit computing and I presume that had not MS pushed it so much (conveyong the idea that 64 bit is "cool") even the very high percentage - almost 1/2 of the Windows 7 users - could do with 32 bit allright.

AFAIK the large majority of apps available/in use are 32 bit, or has this changed lately? :unsure:

jaclaz

I wonder (exception made for you and a few other blocks here on MSFN, that I would define "advanced users" :)) what is the actual *need* for 64 bit

I'm not debating against the "advanced users" part. As for a need, for me at least, it comes from needing to run x64 apps for memory and/or speed reasons (Photoshop, SolidWorks, x264, 7zip/winrar, etc) and needing a lot of memory (both for a single app, and for several heavy-ish apps at once). Plus many other other factors, like new video cards having a LOT of memory, having to develop for x64 OS'es, having to run 64 bit OSes in VMs, etc.

As often happens MS own articles and numbers within them are deceiving

Not really. XP x64 sucked really bad and it came out years late (bringing WAY more problems than benefits) so of course no one adopted that. When Vista came out, a lot of people (including me) didn't bother yet, as driver availability for x64 OS'es wasn't quite there yet (HW vendors not re-writing drivers for all their older devices), RAM was a bit more expensive so 4GB+ wasn't all that common yet, and there weren't so many x64 apps either.

With Win7 things are much better all-around, and it's finally getting some adoption. We went from "avoid" with XP x64, to "if your HW supports it and has drivers" with Vista, to "preferred" with Win7, and it'll keep going in that direction.

Of course the "overall" figures look low when you include every single machine built in the last decade like you did, when x64 only became "mainstream" with the Win7 release a few months ago. The percentages you show are very promising and will keep climbing pretty fast as supposedly 3/4 of Win7 PCs sold at retail ship with the x64 version (it might even go up as even the newer Atom CPUs now support x64)

XP came out in 2001, or more exactly 3257 days ago. Win7 was 274 days ago. The "mainstream x64 OS" has only been out for 8% as long, and it already has almost as much market share (7% by your math) -- or 13% for x64 overall. If you only include PCs that shipped in the last few years (Vista/7), we'd already be up to 33% adoption overall (and rapidly increasing) which isn't bad at all. By the time Win8 is mainstream (in probably 3 years or so; it's supposed to be the last one with a x86 version too), it'll likely be around 50%.

the large majority of apps available/in use are 32 bit, or has this changed lately? :unsure:

That hasn't changed yet, but a LOT applications are now also getting a native x64 version (even MS Office 2010 now does). And a lot of users are quickly moving to the x64 version, like for Photoshop, where a poll on John Nack's blog back in 2008 showed ~40% of Photoshop users running a x64 OS already, with another 20% or so to switch within a year (again, that was 2 years ago). And it's understandable because it can make for a huge difference in speed too. Also, more and more apps are becoming x64-only, namely Win 2008 R2 (even if you only intend to use it in a VM), Premiere Pro CS5, After Effects CS5, Exchange 2010, etc.

I don't see a reason to stick with x86, besides for those who are completely stuck with "legacy" devices.

I am not using this step of the process, i did not find the need

just copied the the created file to the specified folder

We already established that when you said you were running the 32 bit version, to which I've replied on post #25 ;)

I've merged some of your posts (no need to make a post for every single sentence, you can edit them you know, and you can edit the quoted text to include the relevant part as well)