Questions About MS-DOS 7.10

pichorra

Hello agan, i have upgraded a Old Computer what was running Windows 98SE to Windows XP (nLited). XP is running fine, *cof, *cof* Fast as a airplane *cof*, but, i do not know why, but NONE DOS programs is running on it. so i decided to install MS-DOS, and Dual-boot Windows XP.

Questions:

1° - how do i install drivers on it? i have an experience with command-prompiting, but, never has used MS-DOS at all.

2° - If i install it with through a CD, XP boot will be overited?

3° - Networking on it trough TCP/IP? mith?

Computer:

Processor: Cyrix MII 250MHz, 64KB Cache L1, 0kb cache L2

Memmory: 256MB DIMM

HD's:Quantium 3gb HD, Samsung (idk the molel) 10GB

SondCard: Creative AWE64 Standard Edition (Compatible w/ SB16)

Video: Trio64V+ PCI 2MB

MoBo: BIOSTAR M5... (i dont remember the model)

Non USB Support.

Sorry if i posted in wrong area, i just think 9x can be related with DOS too.

1° - how do i install drivers on it? i have an experience with command-prompiting, but, never has used MS-DOS at all.
By loading them in config.sys.
DEVICE=C:\Path\to\driver.sys

Normally very few drivers are loaded. Things like sound are to be supported by the programs using them.

2° - If i install it with through a CD, XP boot will be overited?
Yes. You'll have to backup your MBR, and put it back afterwards. Further you'll have to backup your dos mbr, because you'll need it to get the XP loader to load dos.
3° - Networking on it trough TCP/IP?
Can be done, but it will cost an awful amount of memory. Here you can find some information about creating a (dos) bootdisk with network support.

I actually really like DOS 7.10, I use it on all my USB keys (well just the boot files) as it is required for some NDIS drivers for some reason. Interesting that even Windows 7 uses the Windows 98 boot files when creating a boot disk...

Did you try out DOSBox? It can run on XP, and is pretty good at emulating sound and video cards.

thanks for all this informations, i'll install it on the comp. when i have time.

Did you try out DOSBox? It can run on XP, and is pretty good at emulating sound and video cards.

yeah, that was the first thing what i've tried. but, if you compare the maximum dosbox emulating, you will get:

Pentium I

Trio32/64

Sound Blaster 16

IPX/SPX Compatible Card.

Serial Modem.

64MB RAM

well, if you compare it with the computer what i'm trying to install DOS 7.10, it's very similar as DOSBox, so, in teory, it wont run.

...And in pratice too!!!!!!

if i get any problem, i'll post here.

XP on that CPU can't be fun. (256MB is also not ideal, but seems much more workable than the CPU if you're okay with occasional swapping sprees.)

For swapping, i've created a 2gb FAT16 partigion in the 10gb hardisk and then set the swapping to it, it will be better, pratically no desfragmentation and more fastly due to be used in very very old HD's, who does not have logic using FAT16, and it get more fastly than NTFS for swapping.

Now, i've succefully installed MS-DOS 7.10, Windows 98SE, and Windows XP on that machine, then, i've disabled EMM386 for boot in Windows 98SE, but, some programs, calls EMM386 in DOS (games), and, i can enable it editing config.sys, and the program runs fine, but w98 does not boot. When i disables EMM386, the program stop work (do not Start) and Windows boot fine.

Question:

There's a way to make an option in startup to question if load EMM386 or not??

Config.sys:

REM DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE NOEMS ; that mean the EMM386 will not be loaded up.

DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE ; That mean the EMM386 will be loaded up.

That is the related line in config.sys.

tnx

And

Now, i've succefully installed MS-DOS 7.10, Windows 98SE, and Windows XP on that machine, then, i've disabled EMM386 for boot in Windows 98SE, but, some programs, calls EMM386 in DOS (games), and, i can enable it editing config.sys, and the program runs fine, but w98 does not boot. When i disables EMM386, the program stop work (do not Start) and Windows boot fine.

Question:

There's a way to make an option in startup to question if load EMM386 or not??

Config.sys:

REM DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE NOEMS ; that mean the EMM386 will not be loaded up.

DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE ; That mean the EMM386 will be loaded up.

That is the related line in config.sys.

tnx

And

I'm not sure why you cannot get EMM386 to work with Windows 98, I have had no problem.

Try using:

DEVICE=C:\DOS71\EMM386.EXE 8192

I use the equivalent.

You can also try adding a line for HIMEM.SYS BEFORE the EMM386 Line in your CONFIG.SYS File.