LCD Monitor

jbm

On Newegg I've found two spectre brand LCD monitors.

Both are 1920 x 1080 res, 2ms , 23.6 inch

One has an LED backlight and brightness of 250 and DC 5,000,000 (1000:1) for $249.99

The other had a brightness of 300 and DCR(40000:1) 1000:1 for $179.99

Is it worth the exter $80 to get the LED back lit monitor?

From what i heard, led blacklight extends the monitor life and in most case reduce the size, the weight and the power comsuption. From the specs, other than that, there is not much difference between the two (except for the rendering of the black color but i'm not sure you'll see a difference in real world uses).

From what i heard, led blacklight extends the monitor life and in most case reduce the size, the weight and the power comsuption. From the specs, other than that, there is not much difference between the two (except for the rendering of the black color but i'm not sure you'll see a difference in real world uses).

Doing more research it seems there is also different type of LED back lights.

namelt white or RGB, RGB being the best and most expenive of the two.

And I'm sure this one is using white LEDs.

Maybe I'll go to BestBuy to see if they have some I can compare.

BestBuy is not the ideal place to compare TV display quality in most cases. This is because the video signals they use for all their screens is split so many times the video quality is usually pretty bad. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a display with just 1 source on it.

On Newegg I've found two spectre brand LCD monitors.

Both are 1920 x 1080 res, 2ms , 23.6 inch

One has an LED backlight and brightness of 250 and DC 5,000,000 (1000:1) for $249.99

The other had a brightness of 300 and DCR(40000:1) 1000:1 for $179.99

Is it worth the exter $80 to get the LED back lit monitor?

Now, LED backlight does consume less energy, say 20 to 30W less on a 23 to 27" screen, so I think that's worth it alone.

But, why go with a brand like that? There are so much other brands, unlike this one that only sells in the USA (Read, unknown brand and given a brand in the USA).

I agree with puntoMX, i 'd choose a brand i trust and with a good waranty (on site exchange if available).

My favorite brand for lcd monitor is samsung but those are little more expensive on newegg.

BestBuy is not the ideal place to compare TV display quality in most cases. This is because the video signals they use for all their screens is split so many times the video quality is usually pretty bad. Maybe you'll get lucky and find a display with just 1 source on it.

That makes sense, but every other place I can think of has gone out of business or is online only.

Actually now that I think about it, there are some furniture store could try. But I'm not sure

they wouldn't have the same problem.

I agree with puntoMX, i 'd choose a brand i trust and with a good waranty (on site exchange if available).

My favorite brand for lcd monitor is samsung but those are little more expensive on newegg.

I'd never heard of Spectre until I read this review on AnandTech.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3728/sceptre-x270w-1080p-review-value-27-that-delivers

The warrant is only one year, while the Samsung is 3 years. The only

thing is the Samsung ports go directly out the back which make it hard to

hang on the wall if one so desired. Newegg sells a bunch of monitors

with in $50 or so of the spectre, some cheaper with a better warranty.

What do you think of the Mag?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+1109917843&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=LED

Two things:

- First be very carefull when buying a lcd monitor, if you don't choose the same model and sometime series than the one reviewed, you might be very surprised it might be a lot better (if you're lucky) or worse.

- It has good specs and a 3 years waranty (but i read a review stating that the blacklight was only under 1 year waranty). It is a good buy for the price. If you don't want to spend more that's the one. Its reviewed power consuption was 21W which is very very low for this size.

Edited by allen2

I've decided to wait and spend a little more.

The monitor I get needs at least one HDMI port.

would also like a DVI-D port but could use a

DVI to VGA adaptor.

Looking to spend in the $250-$300 range

No the monitors which are made by different brands such as LG, ACER, VIEWSONIC do not require to press the power button everytime the monitor is disconnected from the AC source. I use LG LCD monitor and I have never faced such situation with it, So I think you should go ahead and buy it.

Edited by thomasharris11