Make_PE3 Program to Create Portable Windows 7 PE

wimb

Yes, but I have to keep an installed vanilla SP1 system around that is taking up 10 GIG of valuable space. Besides this would be ideal for those that want to use a frozen version or source for the PE build. All they would need to keep for a build is the MAKE_PE3 directory after populating it with the necessary system files.

Edited by click-click

long time no see, i dont know why i did not post back sooner, but i have a modified 7pe based off of the finished product of make_pe3.

the file i am linking to is quite old, from the earlier days of make_pe3, but with added tools.

URL REMOVED, READ FORUM RULES

i have been working on a much MUCH more recent version of 7p3 with sp1, with many more added tools and abilities yet. since sp1 came out, but i will not release it until i am happy with it

what made me think of this page was this:

---- FSINFO Commands Supported ----

drives List all drives

drivetype Query drive type for a drive

volumeinfo Query volume information

ntfsinfo Query NTFS specific volume information

statistics Query file system statistics

C:\Users\Tim>Fsutil fsinfo drivetype

Usage : fsutil fsinfo drivetype <volume pathname>

Eg : fsutil fsinfo drivetype C:

C:\Users\Tim>Fsutil fsinfo drivetype c:

c: - Fixed Drive

C:\Users\Tim>Fsutil fsinfo drivetype e:

e: - Removable Drive

C:\Users\Tim>Fsutil fsinfo drivetype i:

i: - CD-ROM Drive

Edited by Tripredacus

the file i am linking to is quite old, from the earlier days of make_pe3, but with added tools.

In XP - IE8 then the link does not give your drive, but instead I get Google Drive Startpage https://drive.google.com/start?authuser=0#home

Now used Win 7 IE9 - Download Link is working ....

Edited by Tripredacus

Yes, but I have to keep an installed vanilla SP1 system around that is taking up 10 GIG of valuable space. Besides this would be ideal for those that want to use a frozen version or source for the PE build. All they would need to keep for a build is the MAKE_PE3 directory after populating it with the necessary system files.

Sorry for the confusion. I just realized that option 3 is what I was asking for. :blushing:

@wimb or anyone else that might have a suggestion

My Make_PE3 image works fairly well, but I have one problem that I would like to solve and I'm stumped on how to proceed. I have an app called Faststone Capture that is installed and it works flawlessly except for one thing. When I do the first screen capture after FSC is launched, it takes the FSC Editor which displays the screen capture more than 1.5 minutes to appear on the display. The same holds true for appearing in TaskManager. For any captures after that, the screen appears without any delay until I exit FSC. Starting it again gives me a delay on the first screen capture.

I have another image that I tried from someone else that also has FSC in it and there is no delay on the first screen capture.

Do you or anyone else have any idea what my image might be missing to cause this?

What would be a good way of tracking this down?

Edited by click-click

Try the supplied portable version by adding to any drive folder PStart from Make_PE3\MULTI\PStart

On booting 7PE it will search and Open PStart menu from which you can launch FSCapture portable App

Whenever possible I use portable Apps from PStart menu which can also be used when Not booting with 7PE :)

Copy PStart folder and wallpaper.jpg and drv folder with drivers as normal from Make_PE3\MULTI to root of HDD or USB boot drive.
Edited by wimb

Normally drivers are installed by driver_fix.cmd but when I press C for cancel of driver install

then I get the same problem that you mentioned.

So it is some service not running yet or some driver that is not yet installed and that might give the trouble.

Do you use unmodified driver_fix.cmd and can you add proper LAN + WLAN driver from DriverPacks and

add it in Make_PE3\PE3_mod\WIN7_drivers\x86

At first I suspected the video driver, but that is not the cause of the trouble.

Edited by wimb

When I cancel driver_fix.cmd and then manually give

drvload.exe X:\Windows\inf\usb.inf

then the FSCapture 1.5 min delay problem is gone.

Loading usb.inf will also Start Audiosrv service which probably is needed because of the click sound when using FSCapture

Instead you can also open ServiWin Portable App from PStart > System

and then Start Audiosrv will solve the FSCapture problem

:)

Edited by wimb

I am not loading any drivers during startup. I commented out Autostart of driver_fix.cmd, because I thought using PENetwork

would be enough if I needed connectivity and I could start that on demand. I will run the cmd manually and see if that fixes the delay. I didn't realize I needed to run this command.

BTW. is pecmd with pecmd.ini being used? Wouldn't this be better than running installs from the startnet.cmd?

Edited by click-click

Wimb, not starting driver_fix.cmd was indeed the cause of the FSC editor delay. I experienced the same delay in another program and that is also fixed now. Good call and thanks for taking the time to look at it. What do you think about using pecmd.ini to do some of the processing during system initialization?

driver_fix.cmd is essential and preferred in all cases :)

driver_fix.cmd loads many drivers and start a lot of services where PENetwork is only limited to Network.

pecmd can install drivers from Win7 OS DriverStore as done with desktop icon on demand

but pecmd fails to install drivers when used with DriverPacks folder.

pecmd will install missing drivers but does not update existing drivers.

dpinst.exe is used via desktop icon on demand to install drivers from DriverPacks folder

and dpinst.exe is used by driver_fix.cmd for automatic install of drivers from drv\x86 folder.

The drv\x86 folder is searched on any drive and it can be used for the large video driver.

Edited by wimb

Hi Wimb, I'm back with more questions. :blushing: I'm trying to install some drivers used by Paragon HDM for mounting backup files to a drive letter. I copied the files to the \Win7_drivers and when I do the build, dism processes those files, but when I boot up none of the .sys files or services are installed.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or if this was the right place to copy the files Here's one of the .inf files that I copied. Any ideas why the drivers and services are not installed?

;
; UIM Bus Driver for Win 2000/XP
;
; 2003-06-25 gvv
;

[version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=UIM
ClassGuid={19837C5C-96F5-45e0-9A2D-C6BB26E1B12B}
Provider=%Paragon%
DriverVer=12/25/2006,6.0.3.1
CatalogFile=uimbus.cat