Retail version of XP but want a OEM version

Cptmaximum

Hi..... I own a Retail Version of XP pro that is running on my pc that I built. Recently I was given an Hp pc with no setup disk. Well the hard drive is bad and needs to be replaced. I am unable to copy any files off the hard drive because of the state it is in. I installed a new hard drive and now at a loss. The only copy of xp pro I own, is already in use. Without contacting HP for a replacement disk, how am I able to use my retail version of XP PRO and convert it into an XP PRO OEM for the HP PC? What steps do I need to do to change my Retail XP Pro to HP OEM, so when I put the HP product key in during installation, the key will be recoginized and the activation process will accept the key??

RECAP : Convert - Retail XP PRO to XP PRO OEM for HP PC.....

Cptmaximum, simple, you can't! Any such attempts are a violation of the MS license (EULA). We certainly do not help people do such here! I suggest you either contact HP and hope they will give you one, or you buy a copy of Windows. Enjoy, John.

Hi..... I own a Retail Version of XP pro that is running on my pc that I built. Recently I was given an Hp pc with no setup disk. Well the hard drive is bad and needs to be replaced. I am unable to copy any files off the hard drive because of the state it is in. I installed a new hard drive and now at a loss. The only copy of xp pro I own, is already in use. Without contacting HP for a replacement disk, how am I able to use my retail version of XP PRO and convert it into an XP PRO OEM for the HP PC? What steps do I need to do to change my Retail XP Pro to HP OEM, so when I put the HP product key in during installation, the key will be recoginized and the activation process will accept the key??

There's Windows Home OEM media floating around on the net. Get on one of the torrent sites and download it. As long as it's a OEM version of Home it should accept the key off the computer.

Cptmaximum, simple, you can't! Any such attempts are a violation of the MS license (EULA). We certainly do not help people do such here! I suggest you either contact HP and hope they will give you one, or you buy a copy of Windows. Enjoy, John.

He's not violating anything. As long as he uses the key that comes with the other computer. He's just trying to use the media.

I'm not trying to violate microsoft..... I bought and owen XP PRO w/sp2 Reatil. I would like to use the same setup disk and convert it to OEM using the OEM #key that came with the HP. I read in this forum of a post that said changing the setup.ini file PID to OEM.... Also the post said to come here to nlite................

Thanks in advance

I don't trust torrent files

Edited by Cptmaximum

Find the topic on "OEM Preactivation". There you'll find the info (maybe) you need to use your preexisting HP-install to create a useable HP cd.

edit- the bad part is that if you can't get anything off of that HDD, you may be screwed.

edit2 - you may have answered your own question in post#5. Often the OEM's will supply a "near-RTL" CD with "certain items" that may be different. Google a little to find the final answer. I don't want to give specifics here...

Edited by submix8c

There's Windows Home OEM media floating around on the net. Get on one of the torrent sites and download it. As long as it's a OEM version of Home it should accept the key off the computer.

As well you shouldn't. This type of discussion is not allowed here.

• 4 months later...

Quoting for reference.

Edited by cluberti
Note this is this user's second warning for this same offense - if it happens again, bring the banhammer.

As well you shouldn't. This type of discussion is not allowed here.

I wasn't condoning pirating software. I just suggested downloading the media. But obviously in uptight Microsoft land torrents aren't a means of distributing media. Guess ya better call HP. <rolleyes> <cough download linux>

Look, whether you like it or not, redistributing Microsoft software (even if it's just media, no keys) is illegal in most developed countries under copyright law (software is treated more like a book than a packaged product - redisting the software is like redisting the code, sort of like plagiarizing a book, and that runs you afoul of copyright laws; it's not quite that simple, but it's close). We have rules here that say not to discuss ways of circumventing copyright or violating a company's choice on who can or cannot redistribute their software in rule 1.a. Please, if you would, abide by the rule even if you don't personally like or agree with it.

• 2 weeks later...

you do know that hp will send you the "system restore" cd (xp home oem) and the driver and application dvd for USD$20.00 i just got a set for my laptop!

just go to the support and driver section and it is listed under software (after drivers)

Edited by chumly