Network or Server

That would work great for files, but, is there a way that would allow him to also connect to "external devices such as the Printer, DVD-ROM", as he originally mentioned? Im a bit rusty with FTP servers, so forgive me if that was a stupid question.

Cheers and Regards

Again, in my opinion, allowing anybody unfettered external access to hardware is a bad idea. Specifically:

1. Printer — It's possible to set up a LAN print server and allow access from the web, but local access is necessary to clear paper jams and check the output. It would be better for family and friends to send the file to the FTP server for PROBLEMCHYLD to print himself, to ensure that it prints correctly.
  2. Hard drive — Very bad idea. Never allow external access to the root of a hard drive, especially the OS system drive. Ignorant users could read or write to all files on that drive. Use your FTP server software to share specific folders that others can access instead.
  3. CD-ROM or DVD-ROM — Another bad idea. If you're playing a game or watching a movie, external access will disrupt whatever you're doing that needs that drive. If you're backing up sensitive information to the drive, you could lose it.

Edited by 5eraph

Again, in my opinion, allowing anybody unfettered external access to hardware is a bad idea. Specifically:

1. Printer It's possible to set up a LAN print server and allow access from the web, but local access is necessary to clear paper jams and check the output. It would be better for family and friends to send the file to the FTP server for PROBLEMCHYLD to print himself, to ensure that it prints correctly.
  2. Hard drive Very bad idea. Never allow external access to the root of a hard drive, especially the OS system drive. Ignorant users could read or write to all files on that drive. Use your FTP server software to share specific folders that others can access instead.
  3. CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Another bad idea. If you're playing a game or watching a movie, external access will disrupt whatever you're doing that needs that drive. If you're backing up sensitive information to the drive, you could lose it.

Ok thanks for trying to help. I want people to connect to the external devices, I'm aware of the liability and problems that can occur.

This is why they will only use external, and not internal devices. I will give filezilla a shot.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Ok, this is what I'm trying to do.

I have a computer with Windows 2000 Pro update to the latest.

I have a Internet connection using broadband, 10mpbs.

I will buy a linksys router for extra security.

I will be using RealPopup network tool, to communicate with other computers thats on my network.

I want family and friends to connect to my computer through the internet because everybody live in different states

and cities, so a local network is out of the ?.

I haven't bought my external devices yet because I want to be sure I can share them. I know how to do this part.

Whats the (BEST) solution to my problem?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

The trouble is, I don't believe Windows can differentiate between an internally connected device and and externally connected peripheral. A hard drive is a hard drive is a hard drive. I believe the same goes for optical drives.

If you don't plan on using the machine then you could allow others to remotely log in and use it one at a time with software like UltraVNC. But this is a rather extreme approach to your problem.

I would look nto LogMeIn Hamachi free VPN service (up to 16 connections), never used it myself, if you do test it, report back.

https://secure.logmein.com/US/products/hamachi2/

The free version of LogMeIn Hamachi² can be used 100% free for non-commercial use and is limited to 16 computers.

Non-commercial use is defined as individuals using the product for personal use, such as a gaming or family network, and non-profit institutions.

Unlike traditional VPNs, LogMeIn Hamachi² can be set up in minutes:

* No hardware required – A quick, simple and easy-to-use VPN that just works

* Secure communications – Encrypted tunneling across public and private networks

* Flexible networking – Combines the ease of an SSL VPN with the connectivity of an IP-sec VPN

* Web-based management – Deploy to anyone, manage from anywhere, access anytime

* Free for non-commercial usage – Absolutely free for non-commercial use

Well you should help it make sense.

Well, not much can be done for that particular sentence.

If you know the solution to the problem then you post it instead of sucking up the bandwidth.

It wasn't about a solution to a problem that wasn't well defined, it was about "you're not going to get a whole lot of answers out of that".

Also, don't take this personally, but you seem to be mostly against (or ignoring?) everything people recommended or said so far (like for instance the 3 guys who told you about getting a server version of Windows to run a server), and you seem to lack the basic understanding required for a lot of these things (TCP/IP, Windows server-related services, VPN tech and so on).

Personally, I wonder what you expect on sharing with so many people on a such a connection (where a 10 user limit would be problematic). You only have 1mbit up on your plan which you're likely not getting in full, that you're already making some use of (hopefully you don't use any P2P!), and whatever is left would be split across different users, making for painfully slow file transfers (dialup-like speeds).

As for FTP, I wouldn't use that. Exposing FTP to the outside world usually means getting botnets trying dictionary attacks on it... And it's not the most secure protocol ever (especially compared to using a VPN) e.g. logins and passwords being sent in plain text. I don't really see what it would offer over plain old file shares either (you can also pick what you share with whom using that, there is no need to give total access to everything). Most people would likely prefer using Windows explorer over a FTP client, and using Windows' built-in shares you could share other devices such as a printer too (which he seemingly wants to do)

VPN wise, if you want simple then Hamachi is about as simple as it gets, if not just for not getting conflicting IP ranges. However, routing is disabled by default, some protocols are blocked by default, etc, so you will have to do some adjustments first.

TL;DR version: Hamachi + Windows' built-in network sharing seems like what you're after.

Also, don't take this personally, but you seem to be mostly against (or ignoring?) everything people recommended or said so far (like for instance the 3 guys who told you about getting a server version of Windows to run a server), and you seem to lack the basic understanding required for a lot of these things (TCP/IP, Windows server-related services, VPN tech and so on).

I was trying to avoid buying a server version of Win 2000 because I have pro. Its seems like my only solution is to get the server version. I was not ignoring the replies I was just waiting on more suggestions, advice, input from other forum members,

then figure out the best option. Sorry If I sounded rude just stressed out a little bit. Thanks for all of you guys help.

Will this solution work.

What solution? You didn't mention anything.

Heh, I have one of those gathering dust... and it's likely to keep gathering dust for another while (it was replaced by another router that was 1/3 of the price or so but about a million times better)

>Whats the (BEST) solution to my problem?

I use logmein free to control remote machines.

You could set up different logins for each user to use.

This setup only allows one person at a time though.

Derek

Will this solution work.

What solution? You didn't mention anything.

Heh, I have one of those gathering dust... and it's likely to keep gathering dust for another while (it was replaced by another router that was 1/3 of the price or so but about a million times better)

If I buy this linksys router http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15759&p_created=1196672764 will I be able to connect through the internet?

If I buy this linksys router http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15759&p_created=1196672764 will I be able to connect through the internet?

If you set it up properly, it won't prevent you from doing anything (your internet will still work, and you can still setup whatever you want). It hardly changes anything to the scenario.

Not that I would buy that particular router myself.

I have found my solution and it was free. Thanks to all you programmers out there.

Heres the link. http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

:blink: How exactly does that help? That's completely unrelated to VPN, sharing files over the internet and all that. It does absolutely nothing which you've been asking for since post #1.

I can attest the WRT160N makes for a semi-decent paperweight though. It's just a little on the light side but it's stylish.