Network or Server

I hate to break it to you, PROBLEMCHYLD, but all recent consumer routers (within the past 10 years) include DHCP server functionality. It's not what you think it is.

Edited by 5eraph

I have found my solution and it was free. Thanks to all you programmers out there.

Heres the link. http://ruttkamp.gmxhome.de/dhcpsrv/dhcpsrv.htm

:blink: How exactly does that help? That's completely unrelated to VPN, sharing files over the internet and all that. It does absolutely nothing which you've been asking for since post #1.

I can attest the WRT160N makes for a semi-decent paperweight though. It's just a little on the light side but it's stylish.

I prefer VPN but if I can't get it, then I will settle for a little less.

I hate to break it to you, PROBLEMCHYLD, but all recent consumer routers (within the past 10 years) include DHCP server functionality. It's not what you think it is.

What do you mean?

I thought it would allow other computers outside my local network connect to my computers.

Yes I want/wanted VPN but if there are other ways them I'm all ears. Like I said I'm just looking for the best and secure solution. As you guys may have notice, I'm new to this. I don't know about servers and network protocols etc...

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I prefer VPN but if I can't get it, then I will settle for a little less.

The problem is, DHCP isn't a "little less than a VPN", it's just a completely different thing, as in, not used for the same thing at all. Apples and oranges.

I thought it would allow other computers outside my local network connect to my computers.

Not one bit.

What is DHCP for because different websites are saying different things.

Example 1

What is this DHCP server good for?

----------------------------------

I experienced the following situation: I have a desktop

computer and a laptop at work. Whenever I take my laptop

home I have to turn off the DHCP support and type in an

IP address and a subnet mask to communicate between my

home computer and the laptop. When I take the laptop back

to work I have to enable the DHCP support again. This is

very annoying and time consuming, because Windows requires

a reboot after a change in the IP settings.

With this DHCP server I can use my home computer as

a DHCP server and I can simply put the laptop on my small

IP network at home without any changes in the IP settings.

The only difference with me is I want about 20 computers to connect to my network.

PROBLEMCHYLD

Have you looked into Windows Home Server? After looking at the specs and also knowing a few people that have it I would suggest it to you. It has everything you want in allowing people to connect to your network in a secure way.

Link to Windows Home Server forum

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowshomeserver

And for Newegg who has Hardware and Software

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=home+server&x=0&y=0

jd

Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a means of automatically configuring IP addresses and related settings in a network. It performs no other function.

Your "Example 1" is taken out of context, PROBLEMCHYLD. The writer does not seem to have a router at home to act as a DHCP server.

It will be worthwhile for you to learn about home networks before tackling this problem. Starting with a beginner's guide will give you a solid foundation for further learning.

Not one bit.

I don't remember saying that. ;)

Edited by 5eraph

What is DHCP for because different websites are saying different things.

5eraph provided a pretty good summary. It assigns IP addresses.

The only difference with me is I want about 20 computers to connect to my network.

I'm not sure where you see any similarity between this scenario and yours (nevermind he's even wrong about some things).

I don't remember saying that. ;)

You're perfectly right, that wasn't said by you. Not sure how that even got there...

I'm just gonna buy a Windows 2000 Server cd of ebay. I seen a used one for about $60.

I will order it tomorrow, and hopefully this will answer all my problems.

That has pretty much everything you need built-in. It's just a matter of learning enough about networking and related techs in order to set it all up (VPN, file shares, etc)