chkdsk ruins the drive all the time

So every so often I go to update one of my flash drives with updates, new software etc etc and i see found directories with chkdsk files in there. This completely destroys the drive and I have to rebuild it again which is a huge pain in the a**. I can never tell what computers are actually running the chkdsk on the drive but I do know that on vista/win7 computers, they always think the drive is damaged and needs scanning...so on my vista install driive, it breaks itself more often than the xp ones.

is there anyway to prevent chkdsk from running automatically on removable storage? is there a way to completely lock the drive from being touched by chkdsk?

it is becomming quite the headache

thanks

I've never ran CHKDSK on a UFD in Vista or 7. I know it prompts me to but I tell it not to. Is this what you mean? I've never had a time when it just runs without telling me.

I wasn't able to search for anything but I'll look around in the registry.

This might end up being the wrong forum for this post unless I'm not understanding you.

This site seems to say you can change a registry setting to exclude volumes from being checked when you insert them. But the reason it wants to scan seems to be that when you plug in the drive, Windows writes something on there. Then if you choose Safely Remove Hardware, this program is supposed to remove that peice. It is that bit which Windows uses to see if it "needs" to run chkdsk on a volume.

http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/chkdsk-and-autochk.htm