problems with winsetupfromusb

jrr

hello all..

i am currently working on a dell latitude d400 laptop with no internal bays. i have bought a usb cdrom drive and with no avail cant install xp pro onto it. downloaded winsetupfromusb and followd all the instructions to format the drive (fat32 since i was using a 4gb drive) made it xp bootable, formatted it, told it where to find my xp pro cd folder i created in the root oc my c drive and then clicked go and away it went but unfortunatly my laptop will not boot from it even though i go into the biios and tell it to boot to usb hdd first and then also under special boot to do usb storage device. what am i doing wron or whats going on that "makes" the drive not bootable?

the only thing i get on screen is:

try (hdd 0,0) fat 32

or

missing mbr helper (this is the first time ive gotten this one)

also anyone have an idea as to how to update the bios on this machine? i cant seem to find it in the current bios to do so.

thanks josh

Edited by jrr

.... and followd all the instructions to format the drive (fat32 since i was using a 4gb drive) made it xp bootable, formatted it, ...

.... what am i doing wron or whats going on that "makes" the drive not bootable?

Please do report HOW you:

made it xp bootable, formatted it

jaclaz

I see. :)

You don't want my help.

Bye, bye. :hello:

jaclaz

what?

i still need help. i used that video to begin with but obviously i must be doing something wrong because even after i set it up like that, it still doesnt work. ive tried numerous times and with different versions and still no boot?

what did i do wrong?

what?

i still need help.

Sure you do :), only, don't expect anymore to have it from me, that was the essence of my previous post.

what did i do wrong?

That is what I would have tried to find out, had you actually replied properly to my questions.

It is very possible that you didn't do anything wrong, and it's simply some problem of the winsetupfronUSB in combination with your source, your laptop or the USB key, but cannot really say.

Surely someone else will have the abilities to help you :thumbup without you needing to take some time in trying to be helped by revealing the details I would have needed.

Unfortunately my crystal ball is in the shop once again for tuning and maintenance and tarots and i-ching (or the way I use them) are soooo unreliable that I cannot suggest you anything without info.

jaclaz

what?

i still need help.

Sure you do :), only, don't expect anymore to have it from me, that was the essence of my previous post.

what did i do wrong?

That is what I would have tried to find out, had you actually replied properly to my questions.

It is very possible that you didn't do anything wrong, and it's simply some problem of the winsetupfronUSB in combination with your source, your laptop or the USB key, but cannot really say.

Surely someone else will have the abilities to help you :thumbup without you needing to take some time in trying to be helped by revealing the details I would have needed.

Unfortunately my crystal ball is in the shop once again for tuning and maintenance and tarots and i-ching (or the way I use them) are soooo unreliable that I cannot suggest you anything without info.

jaclaz

DUDE WTF? you need to get off your freaking power trip and come back to reality.

you asked how did i do everything. i posted a link to that video and i followed that exactly.

i have tried multiple usb drives and computers and even different versions of this software, and still with no luck actually being able to boot off of a usb drive.

jrr, you'd have to take it easy and reply with details to the questions asked, RMPrepUSB settings in particular, rather than posting video tutorial which you followed, to the letter or not.

Do NOT expect someone else to spend of his/her own spare time (this includes watching video clips), if you are not willing to spare some of yours ;)

jrr, you'd have to take it easy and reply with details to the questions asked, RMPrepUSB settings in particular, rather than posting video tutorial which you followed, to the letter or not.

Do NOT expect someone else to spend of his/her own spare time (this includes watching video clips), if you are not willing to spare some of yours ;)

i posted the video because i thought it would be easier. i followed the setup posted there to the dot, did everythng the exact same way just i formatted in fat 32 since i have a 4gb stick instead of fat 16 like he did in the video.

josh

You have other options to play with in RMPrepUSB- NTFS, single/multiple partitions, forced LBA, you can try BootIce as well with its several options, it's included in the latest betas...

• 1 year later...

Options. Yeah. That's much of the problem for newbies like me. I am newly come to this program. And 70 pages of sometimes contradictory direction (or, at least, obsolete direction) are hard to sort out. The pop-up info on the program itself is interesting but often incomplete and won't stay visible long enough to contemplate.

Is there anywhere a walk-thru or FAQ or long form set of instructions that address 1.0 Beta 7 (or at least something similar)?

-----Paul-----