How to check what version of .NET Framework you have installed

Zaitzev

I did some searching and found a nice little tool you can use to find out what versions of .NET Framework you have installed, just in case they aren't visible in the Add/Remove section. It's small, doesn't install and gives an optional download-link for any missing framework! :)

Download link is at the bottom of the article: Read more

Thank you for that information, but you check which version of net with this VBS script.

Save As NFWVersion.vbs

Dim Act :Set Act = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Dim Obj, Rg1, Rst

Dim Reg :Reg = Array( _
"1 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\1.0.3705\Version", _
"1.1 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\1.1.4322\Version", _
"2 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v2.0.50727\Version", _
"3 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.0\Version", _
"3.5 - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5\Version")
On Error Resume Next
For Each Obj In Reg
Rg1 = Split(Obj," - ")
If IsNull(Act.RegRead(Rg1(1))) Then
Rst = Rst & "Missing Net Frame Work : " & Rg1(0) & vbCrLf
Else
Rst = Rst & "Confirm Net Frame Work : " & Rg1(0) & " - " & Act.RegRead(Rg1(1)) & vbCrLf
End If
Next

MsgBox Rst, 4128,"Net Framework Info"

My point was that the small app is an easy way for anyone who wants to do it quick and easy, instead of creating and writing files like you just did... Obviously there's more than one way to figure out what versions are installed on a system..

• 2 weeks later...

gunsmokingman - there is a problem with vbs script:

For .Net Fw 1.1 - there is no "Version" value in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v1.1.4322]

I have installed:

.Net FW 1.1 - dotnetfx.exe
SP1 - NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
Security Update - NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

Actually, the idea was to enumarate keys and the name of that key would give version..

But "SP" value gives correct data for last installed Service Pack, though..

And I haven't used 1.0 in ages, so verify about that..

------------------

Yzöwl:

Just listing folder will give you false results - because updates tend to create folders for version that isn't installed. Like on my Windows XP SP3 (with 3.5 SP1 [contains 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1]):

v1.0.3705
v1.1.4322
v2.0.50727
v3.0
v3.5

Folders v1.0.3705 and v1.1.4322 contain just few files from security updates (.config, .cfg and mscormmc.dll).

The correct way is to enumarate registry....

----------------

Edit2:

For .Net FW 1.0 (With SP3) the reg key is

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Full\v1.0.3705]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Full\v1.0.3705\1033\Microsoft .NET Framework Full v1.0.3705 (1033)]

"install"=dword:00000001

But no Version or SP value.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\Product\Microsoft .NET Framework Full v1.0.3705 (1033)]

"Version" - shows the same data as key name..

Edited by spriditis

Since we know that the installers for .NET FW result in a listing under Win32_Product whats wrong with using this VBScript?

NetVerIs.vbs

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select * from Win32_Product")

For Each objItem in colItems
If InStr(objItem.Name, "Microsoft .NET Framework") > 0 Then
Wscript.Echo objItem.Version
End If
Next

yap, sometime, you just think "why didn't I though f that" ;)

I suppose, this would get less overhead:

Set colItems = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Select Name, Version from Win32_Product Where Name Like 'Microsoft .NET Framework%'")For Each objItem in colItems	Wscript.Echo objItem.Name & " - " & objItem.VersionNext

Yzöwl, there was a reason why I did not use the Win_32 Product to list version of net installed, it did not return any results on my computer.

Reg_Wmi_Product_NeTFW.png

My script I guessed at Reg key for netframework 1 and netframework 1.1, the rest of the keys are from my Windows 7 x64.

If anyone with netframework 1 or netframework 1.1 installed could post the correct key path and value that would help.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...