Encourage Opera to support Opera 10.5 on 98SE

ryaxnb

With the release yesterday of the latest snapshot Build 3344 of Opera 10.52, the problem with Unite has finally be cured!

Thanks for sharing :)

WARNING: This is a development snapshot: it contains the latest changes, but may also have severe known issues,

including crashes and data loss situations. In fact, it may not work at all.

I hope they don't take as long to cure the missing cursor marker when this version is installed on ME or 98SE2ME as it makes posting and editing practically impossible. Works OK on 98SE so some small blessing I suppose.

Edit: It seems other ME users as well as myself have this problem, see posts 5,6,7 and 8 of this thread at http://my.opera.com/...c.dml?id=530532

Edited by lightning slinger

• 2 weeks later...

Opera 10.52 final for Windows (build 3370) is released today, April 27, 2010!

Opera 10.52 is a recommended stability upgrade. Opera highly recommends all users to upgrade to this version to take advantage of these improvements. :thumbup

Changelog here: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1052/

Peacekeeper not faster for me :}

On the Acid3 Test, I get 99/100 (IE 6 SP1 has 5/100 :D ).

Careful:

* The option for "Automatic upgrade" become selected when you upgrade through the browser.

* Unite is re-enabled in Opera:Config

* The skin "Windows Native" has been modified and is buggy. So I replaced it by the 10.51 version.

Edited by CharlesF

You must have something blocked or you haven't waited enough time. I get 100/100 in Opera and 12/100 in IE6sp1 (after long wait no 5/100).

It is not my case. How did you install Opera 10.52? I downloaded full version and installed over 10.51.

* The skin "Windows Native" has been modified and is buggy. So I replaced it by the 10.51 version.

In Opera 10.x only "Default" skin is usable. "Windows Native" skin seems to be designed for XP and newer UI themes, so it is not supposed to work OK with any classic UI theme, I'm afraid.

I know the thread is entitled "98SE" but sad to say it doesn't work too well on 98SE2ME or full blown ME itself.

Whenever you click the cursor on a box containing text to be added or edited, such as the URL or Search boxes you will normally get a flashing vertical line so you can exactly place your inputted text but on 98SE2ME or ME, that flashing vertical line does not appear which makes it difficult to know where your text is going to appear until you actually type.

Bug reports have been sent to Opera regarding this problem by a number of users including myself but I cannot see them being acted upon.

Works just fine on 98SE, pity it didn't work on the more recent OS!!! Ah Well! Back to 10.00 yet again! :(

Edit: The missing flashing cursor position line is still missing from Opera 10.60a1 released today but there is a workaround that will get you a flashing cursor indicator of sorts in 98SE2ME and ME.

Edited by lightning slinger

Win ME is Vista of its time. Buggy, big installation, ability to restore viruses and so on. I have been using it for some time, but I was really confused with it. For a long time i believe that best Windows ever released is Windows 2000.

to Lightning slinger:

Good to know that people here like P3-S Tualatins.

You must have something blocked or you haven't waited enough time. I get 100/100 in Opera and 12/100 in IE6sp1 (after long wait no 5/100).

I have tried again, waiting 5 minutes(!) and got the same 99/100 with 10.51 & 10.52. (With OperaUSB 10.10 I am at 100/100).

I don't know what can be blocked. :(

Could come from the OS (Win 98SE), because with XP I have also 100/100.

For IE6 SP1, you are right, waiting longer I got 12/100.

It is not my case. How did you install Opera 10.52? I downloaded full version and installed over 10.51.

From inside Opera: Help -> Check for Updates

"Windows Native" skin seems to be designed for XP and newer UI themes, so it is not supposed to work OK with any classic UI theme, I'm afraid.

The 'Windows Native Skin' included in version 10.51 doesn't makes problem for me,

that is why I took it back instead of the new one.

BTW, the 10.51's is 40 KB, but the new 10.52's is only 5 KB!!

I have tried again, waiting 5 minutes(!) and got the same 99/100 with 10.51 & 10.52. (With OperaUSB 10.10 I am at 100/100).

I don't know what can be blocked. :(

Could come from the OS (Win 98SE), because with XP I have also 100/100.

The Acid3 test should be done with clean install and it should be repeated (just clicking refresh) with the same results. Maybe you use some adblock/flashblock? What is the error message? You can find it when click on the letter A in "Acid3" text.

The 'Windows Native Skin' included in version 10.51 doesn't makes problem for me, that is why I took it back instead of the new one.

I have had troubles with all Opera 10.x skins when moved tab toolbar from the top to the left. Default skin seems to be less buggy.

BTW, the 10.51's is 40 KB, but the new 10.52's is only 5 KB!!

There is a comment "Empty sections needed so that the sizes are calculated correctly" inside the skin. Did you try the skin with XP? Maybe it was not checked with classic UI.

Maybe you use some adblock/flashblock?

No

What is the error message? You can find it when click on the letter A in "Acid3" text.

Failed 1 tests... Test 46 failed: expected 'none' but got 'uppercase' - case u failed (index 17)

Did you try the skin with XP? Maybe it was not checked with classic UI.

I will.

I have had troubles with all Opera 10.x skins when moved tab toolbar from the top to the left. Default skin seems to be less buggy.

Did you try the skin with XP? Maybe it was not checked with classic UI.

You're right for XP, the look is really better than in Win 98 with the new skin "Windows Native",

but still buggy because doesn't display correctly text of the buttons:

Skin "Windows Native" from Opera 10.51 in XP:

Skin "Windows Native" from Opera 10.52 in XP:

BTW, didn't noticed wrong display when moving the tab bar to the left.

With skin from Opera 10.51:

With skin from Opera 10.52: