Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

Welcome to MSFN, and thanks for your interest in my patch. :)

Ok, lets start from the top.

I assume from your title that you are running Windows 95 C OSR 2.5, correct?

What exact order did you perform your installation in, did you install the patch immediately after the first reboot or did you allow the IOS or NDIS Windows Protection Errors to be displayed?

@dencorso -

If you think this should be merged with the main FIX95CPU thread, please do so.

When the installation process said it was completed, I took out the Windows 95 CD and put in your patch CD, then I rebooted and followed the installation instructions.

I did NOT see the protection error before using the patch. However, on a separate installation attempt, I tried to wait before using the patch and I don't remember if I got the exact same error but I know that I couldn't get to safe mode.

When the installation process said it was completed, I took out the Windows 95 CD and put in your patch CD, then I rebooted and followed the installation instructions.

I did NOT see the protection error before using the patch. However, on a separate installation attempt, I tried to wait before using the patch and I don't remember if I got the exact same error but I know that I couldn't get to safe mode.

Yes, Safe Mode is inaccessible without the updates from the AMDK6UPD fix, even though Microsoft's directions for it say to use Safe Mode. :wacko: That was one of the reasons I created my script.

I have run a couple of tests and have not been able to reproduce the problem you're having :}

I need some more details on your specific setup. Some of the details may or may not be having any effect on this issue, but we may learn something from them anyway. ;)

Hardware:

You said you are running a Pentium 4 3.0GHz, do you know if it is a Northwood or a Prescott?

(I have only used the patch on Northwood's and a Gallatin, I know Windows XP had some issues with Prescott CPU's, don't think it affects 95/98 but I don't know.)

What other hardware is in your computer, sound cards, network cards, etc, including those integrated into the motherboard?

- Have you tried installing Windows 95 with these other hardware items removed or disabled in the BIOS?

Installation:

From your response I assume you are installing Windows 95 from the CD?

How are you performing the initial boot, have you created a bootable Windows 95 CD or are you using a floppy?

- If using a floppy, have you tried creating a FIX95CPU floppy instead of the CDROM?

Have you tried copying the install files to the hard drive and running Setup from there?

Are you doing a "Custom" Setup or using "Typical", "Full", etc?

Are you using a MSBATCH.INF script?

Which Networking Protocols/Functions did you choose during install?

Did the second phase of Setup complete properly after installing FIX95CPU and rebooting?

- If so, you should have been prompted to keep the newer version of NDIS.VXD installed by the patch, did you?

Have you tried reinstalling the patch after you get the Windows Protection Error?

(Theoretically it should still work, as it is designed to be used before or after the second phase of Setup.)

Done :)

Thanks!

Edited by LoneCrusader

You said you are running a Pentium 4 3.0GHz, do you know if it is a Northwood or a Prescott?

(I have only used the patch on Northwood's and a Gallatin, I know Windows XP had some issues with Prescott CPU's, don't think it affects 95/98 but I don't know.)

According to CPU-Z, it's a Prescott. Windows 98SE installs and runs just fine on it, though; that's where I'm running CPU-Z from.

What other hardware is in your computer, sound cards, network cards, etc, including those integrated into the motherboard?

- Have you tried installing Windows 95 with these other hardware items removed or disabled in the BIOS?

I'll try to name as much as I can find out:

Motherboard is ASUS P4C800E Deluxe

Audio is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Network card is Intel Pro/1000 CT Network Card (the linux driver is called "e1000")

GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra hardware version 161

There's some sort of PCI RAID Controller but I can't find it in the BIOS to disable it. It still shows up as an "Other device" in Windows 98.

I've tweaked my BIOS heavily and tried many reinstalls with many configurations. The problem remains. Of all my hardware, if I had to guess, I'd assume the problem is the RAID controller. The problem is that I think it may be integrated, and I don't know how to disable it in the BIOS.

From your response I assume you are installing Windows 95 from the CD?

How are you performing the initial boot, have you created a bootable Windows 95 CD or are you using a floppy?

- If using a floppy, have you tried creating a FIX95CPU floppy instead of the CDROM?

Have you tried copying the install files to the hard drive and running Setup from there?

Are you doing a "Custom" Setup or using "Typical", "Full", etc?

Are you using a MSBATCH.INF script?

Which Networking Protocols/Functions did you choose during install?

Did the second phase of Setup complete properly after installing FIX95CPU and rebooting?

- If so, you should have been prompted to keep the newer version of NDIS.VXD installed by the patch, did you?

Have you tried reinstalling the patch after you get the Windows Protection Error?

(Theoretically it should still work, as it is designed to be used before or after the second phase of Setup.)

-I initially boot with a Windows 98SE CD. I tell it to boot into the command prompt with CD support, swap it out with a Windows 95 CD, and run setup. If there's something else I ought to be trying instead please link me to a better bootloader.

-I have, but that was with a different Windows 95 CD. It got the same results, though.

-I've tried custom and typical. When I try custom I generally remove all of the network protocols before installation. It doesn't help.

-The second phase of setup does not complete because it cannot run in safe mode. I get the protection error before installation fully finishes.

Thanks a ton for giving this such close attention :hello:

EDIT: I tried again with the install files on the hard drive, using a floppy boot disk labeled "win95osr25.img." It booted correctly from my floppy drive and said "Starting Windows 95" when it took me to the A:> prompt, so I'm assuming that how I boot setup.exe isn't the main issue. \BOOTLOG.TXT still reveals no errors; the last item in the log (presumably the last instruction reached before the protection error) is "DEVICEINITSUCCESS = BIOS"

Edited by spaceheeder

I'll try to name as much as I can find out:

Motherboard is ASUS P4C800E Deluxe

Audio is SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Network card is Intel Pro/1000 CT Network Card (the linux driver is called "e1000")

GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra hardware version 161

There's some sort of PCI RAID Controller but I can't find it in the BIOS to disable it. It still shows up as an "Other device" in Windows 98.

I've tweaked my BIOS heavily and tried many reinstalls with many configurations. The problem remains. Of all my hardware, if I had to guess, I'd assume the problem is the RAID controller. The problem is that I think it may be integrated, and I don't know how to disable it in the BIOS.

Hmm, looks like a nice motherboard B) I took a look at the Manual here.

Although I imagine it will work much better for 98SE than 95, lol. I think the last Intel chipset with 95 drivers was the 845, but I'm not sure. I ran a Windows 95 test setup on a Soyo P4-I875P Dragon 2 v1.0 board with a 3.4GHz Extreme Edition CPU and 4GB of Kingston HyperX RAM during the update of RLoew's RAM patch, but I had no drivers for the board or hardware.

I don't see any reason why Windows 95 should not install however, provided you disable or set everything you can to "Legacy" mode and re-enable things one at a time to see what is causing the problem. From what I saw in the Manual (p. 88), the RAID controller should be listed in the BIOS as "Onboard Promise Controller." I would disable the whole works, USB & 1394 included.

-I initially boot with a Windows 98SE CD. I tell it to boot into the command prompt with CD support, swap it out with a Windows 95 CD, and run setup. If there's something else I ought to be trying instead please link me to a better bootloader.

-I have, but that was with a different Windows 95 CD. It got the same results, though.

-I've tried custom and typical. When I try custom I generally remove all of the network protocols before installation. It doesn't help.

-The second phase of setup does not complete because it cannot run in safe mode. I get the protection error before installation fully finishes.

Ok, as you said how you are booting to Setup is probably not related to the problem you are having, I was mainly curious as to whether your machine had a floppy drive, and whether you were able to try using the FIX95CPU floppy disk. I do all of my Windows 9X installs from the hard drive, so I was trying to see if it was somehow related to installing from the CD.

You have tried running FIX95CPU on your system again after you get the protection errors, right? :unsure:

This is bizarre :blink:

You're having virtually the exact same set of problems that occur without FIX95CPU, and that it was designed to correct.

With AMD processors over 350MHz, Windows 95 installation would fail on the first reboot, and you can't get to safe mode (Windows Protection Error in IOS.VXD). AMDK6UPD fixed this, and it also worked on Pentium 4's up to 2GHz. Above that, the same circumstances repeat, just with a different error (Windows Protection Error in NDIS.VXD). Both of these keep Setup from entering its second phase, and FIX95CPU updates all of the necessary files for Setup to continue normally.

If you install FIX95CPU immediately after the first reboot, without allowing the machine to return to Setup and crash on one of these errors, and then remove the FIX95CPU disk and reboot again, you should never even see a message about Normal or Safe Mode at all, it should just finish Setup as if nothing was wrong.

It seems like the updates are not being installed properly. We can do a test run that should eliminate whether you are having a hardware issue or not.

(NOTE: This method will not produce a properly compressed system file created during Setup, so if it works there is still more to do, but it will answer some questions.)

Create newly formatted C:\ partition

Copy all the contents of the \WIN95 folder on your Windows 95 CD to a folder on your new partition, example C:\WIN95CD

Copy the 10 updated system files contained in FIX95CPU to the C:\WIN95CD folder.

- (CDFS.VXD, DISKTSD.VXD, ESDI_506.PDR, HSFLOP.PDR, SCSIPORT.PDR, INT13.VXD, IOS.VXD, NTKERN.VXD, VFBACKUP.VXD, NDIS.VXD)

Run SETUP.EXE from inside the C:\WIN95CD folder

Using this method, Setup will use the updated files in the WIN95CD folder instead of searching for their old equivalents in the CAB files. Setup should run properly, and reboot properly without any errors except you may see something about "VMM32.TMP integrity check failed." You can ignore this for now, what we want to learn is whether or not this will get Windows 95 running without the protection errors.

Thanks a ton for giving this such close attention :hello:

No problem :)

Edited by LoneCrusader

When I open up FIX95CPU.iso, I only see one file, dun14-95.exe. When I open it as an archive in 7zip, I don't see any of the files you mentioned. This doesn't make sense to me, though, because I could swear that when I use FIX95CPU it says it installs correctly. Where do I find the individual files?

Yes, I tried re-using FIX95CPU after I still had the protection error. Still got the protection error :}

EDIT: Nevermind, I found them. I had to write the floppy image separately inside of Windows 98 :rolleyes:

I'll edit this post again when I learn of success or failure.

EDIT AGAIN: Progress, but apparently not enough. This time I get to the screen that says something like "Getting ready to run Windows 95 for the first time." It looks like it's thinking for a bit, and then I get the Windows protection error again. To clarify, here was the methodology this time:

-Go into BIOS and disable everything that looks like it can be disabled

-Place the Win95 installation files onto the C:\ drive

-Place the FIX95CPU files in the installation folder (C:\win95)

-Boot using Win95C boot disk

-Install from C:\win95\setup.exe

-Restart WITHOUT having FIX95CPU in the floppy drive

-Get to start screen

-Have protection error before any dialog boxes come up (~8 seconds transpire before the protection error. That's eight more seconds than I was getting last time...)

LAST EDIT PROMISE: I tried the step-by-step confirmation option again, and I found that the problem isn't with loading the user interface; I said "yes" to everything EXCEPT loading all device drivers. That got it to boot into safe mode. There's a driver problem somewhere. So how do I get the installer to install the bare minimum of device drivers? The last time I tried a custom install I told the hardware profiler ONLY to look for a display adapter, CD-Rom drive, Floppy drive, hard drives, mouse, and keyboard...that sounds pretty "bare minimum" to me...

Edited by spaceheeder

EDIT AGAIN: Progress, but apparently not enough. This time I get to the screen that says something like "Getting ready to run Windows 95 for the first time." It looks like it's thinking for a bit, and then I get the Windows protection error again. To clarify, here was the methodology this time:

-Go into BIOS and disable everything that looks like it can be disabled

-Place the Win95 installation files onto the C:\ drive

-Place the FIX95CPU files in the installation folder (C:\win95)

-Boot using Win95C boot disk

-Install from C:\win95\setup.exe

-Restart WITHOUT having FIX95CPU in the floppy drive

-Get to start screen

-Have protection error before any dialog boxes come up (~8 seconds transpire before the protection error. That's eight more seconds than I was getting last time...)

LAST EDIT PROMISE: I tried the step-by-step confirmation option again, and I found that the problem isn't with loading the user interface; I said "yes" to everything EXCEPT loading all device drivers. That got it to boot into safe mode. There's a driver problem somewhere. So how do I get the installer to install the bare minimum of device drivers? The last time I tried a custom install I told the hardware profiler ONLY to look for a display adapter, CD-Rom drive, Floppy drive, hard drives, mouse, and keyboard...that sounds pretty "bare minimum" to me...

I believe you're right, Windows 95 or its standard drivers don't like something about your motherboard. :no:

The screen you made it to, "Getting ready to run Windows 95 for the first time..." is the screen that shows during the creation of VMM32.VXD, which will produce the "VMM32.TMP integrity check failed" error I mentioned. However, with all of the updated files in place, that doesn't matter for this test.

Once you get into Safe Mode, try installing DUN14-95.EXE and see if it makes any difference. It contains more updated system files for networking functions. If that doesn't work, try removing all of the installed devices in the device manager and reboot... :unsure:

I'm running out of ideas, calling for help from anyone else concerning non-file-specific Windows Protection Errors... ?

rloew in particular may have some insight, he's one of our resident experts and the one most familiar with FIX95CPU as he helped me develop it.

I figured it out! It's not a problem with your patch at all, it's DEFINITELY a problem with my hardware configuration. I know this because I fixed it :thumbup

I had to remove "Plug and Play BIOS" from my System Devices. That did the trick. Now I just need to figure out how to coax these graphics drivers to install...

I figured it out! It's not a problem with your patch at all, it's DEFINITELY a problem with my hardware configuration. I know this because I fixed it :thumbup

I had to remove "Plug and Play BIOS" from my System Devices. That did the trick. Now I just need to figure out how to coax these graphics drivers to install...

Congratulations! :thumbup

Now as for drivers, I don't know how much success you will have, but if you need it I'll help you all I can. I have several different versions of the Intel Chipset Driver Installation Utility archived, but I believe the last one that will install on 95 is version 3.40.1001 and it doesn't cover the 875 Chipset. It may still contain something useful, but I don't know.

I use mostly ATI video cards, and have several older driver packages archived for them, but I don't have much for NVidia cards. I have the Win9X ForceWare 81.98 installer archived, but that's all unless I have an old NVidia drivers CD somewhere...

Don't forget that you need to reinstall Windows 95 and install FIX95CPU per it's instructions. The method we used for the test does not produce a properly compressed VMM32.VXD or place the updated NTKERN.VXD file in the proper folder, which can lead to problems down the road with further updates, especially the Windows 95 USB Supplements. Also a proper VMM32.VXD is required for the use of RLoew's RAM Patch should you ever decide you want to run more than 512MB of RAM.

Keep me posted on your driver experiments. :)

Edited by LoneCrusader

Don't forget that you need to reinstall Windows 95 and install FIX95CPU per it's instructions. The method we used for the test does not produce a properly compressed VMM32.VXD or place the updated NTKERN.VXD file in the proper folder, which can lead to problems down the road with further updates, especially the Windows 95 USB Supplements. Also a proper VMM32.VXD is required for the use of RLoew's RAM Patch should you ever decide you want to run more than 512MB of RAM.

Keep me posted on your driver experiments. :)

I don't think there are any problems with having an Uncompressed VMM32.VXD file other than taking up more space and possibly a longer boot time. My RAM Patch can be installed but needs to be manually configured.

The problem I'm running into now is no longer relevant to this thread. Whenever I try to run the NVIDIA installer for 81.98 (or any earlier revision that supports Windows 9X and the 6X00 series) I get an error, saying that the installer could not "locate any NVIDIA graphics chips." I searched around for the error and found that people needed to extract the files and install the drivers manually, but when I tried that I started getting protection errors because of "VXDLDR.vxd"

I checked the driver info and Windows 95 isn't allocating NEARLY as much RAM for the Display Driver as Windows 98SE is, but no matter how much I try I can't modify the setting. I Googled part of my bootlogs and it's pretty clear that the dynamic driver loader is running into problems in the middle of initializing the NVIDIA driver.

Any idea who I should talk to about that? :D

The problem I'm running into now is no longer relevant to this thread. Whenever I try to run the NVIDIA installer for 81.98 (or any earlier revision that supports Windows 9X and the 6X00 series) I get an error, saying that the installer could not "locate any NVIDIA graphics chips." I searched around for the error and found that people needed to extract the files and install the drivers manually, but when I tried that I started getting protection errors because of "VXDLDR.vxd"

I checked the driver info and Windows 95 isn't allocating NEARLY as much RAM for the Display Driver as Windows 98SE is, but no matter how much I try I can't modify the setting. I Googled part of my bootlogs and it's pretty clear that the dynamic driver loader is running into problems in the middle of initializing the NVIDIA driver.

Any idea who I should talk to about that? :D

There are several users here who run NVidia graphics cards, I'd estimate that they outnumber the ATI users. My advice would be to start a thread in the main forum specific to NVidia drivers and Windows 95. There are also a few 95 users still running around and I'm not sure what video cards they use, but they may have some insight. ;)

For some reason I want to think that I tried to find Windows 95 NVidia drivers once before, I had a GeForce FX 5500 OC that toasted itself. I will dig around and see if I have any other files or notes on the subject lurking around here.

EDIT:

What other updates have you installed? Most importantly, have you updated to DirectX 8.0a? I know the ATI drivers I use in 95 require DX8 minimum.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I get the same error dialog after installing the latest DirectX; can't locate any NVIDIA graphics chips...

(EDIT: And I still get the protection error if I try to install the drivers manually)

Edited by spaceheeder

***UPDATE 06-10-2013***

Added instructions for 95 RTM (95\95A).

I have finally worked out a method of "slipstreaming" this update into a Windows 95 installation. Details below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INSTRUCTIONS FOR SLIPSTREAMING FIX95CPU WINDOWS 95 PROCESSOR UPDATE

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE SLIPSTREAM METHOD FOR YOUR VERSION OF WINDOWS 95!

INSTRUCTIONS ARE DIFFERENT FOR 95 RTM (95\95A) AND FOR OSR 2.0\2.1\2.5 (95B\95C)!

It is recommended that you familiarize yourself with all of the issues surrounding this update by fully reading the discussion thread and/or the README.TXT contained in FIX95CPU.

This process will eliminate the need to create separate bootable floppy disks or CD's for installing FIX95CPU, and will not require the interruption of Windows 95 Setup.

This process requires the addition of files to your Windows 95 Source folder (WIN95 folder on the Windows 95 CD-ROM). You can modify this folder by copying it to your hard drive for installation and performing these steps, or you can modify it and use an .ISO editing program to inject the modified folder back into an .ISO image of your Windows 95 CD if you wish to have a slipstreamed install CD.

95 RTM:

IN YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY (WIN95 FOLDER FROM CD-ROM)

1. EXTRACT SETUPC.INF FROM PRECOPY2.CAB

2. OPEN SETUPC.INF AND DO THE FOLLOWING:

A.
"COMMENT OUT" (PLACE SEMICOLON BEFORE) THE FOLLOWING LINE:

wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:

; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

B.
SAVE SETUPC.INF IN THE INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY.

SETUP WILL NOW USE IT INSTEAD OF THE ONE INSIDE PRECOPY2.CAB

3. PLACE ALL 10 UPDATED SYSTEM FILES CONTAINED IN THE FOLDERS W95BOTH AND W95RTM ON THE FIX95CPU FLOPPY INTO YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE FOLDER, AND SETUP WILL USE THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR OLD EQUIVALENTS INSIDE THE .CAB'S.

CDFS.VXD

DISKTSD.VXD

ESDI_506.PDR

HSFLOP.PDR

SCSIPORT.PDR

INT13.VXD

IOS.VXD

VFBACKUP.VXD

NDIS.VXD

WININIT.EXE

95 OSR2:

IN YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY (WIN95 FOLDER FROM CD-ROM)

1. EXTRACT SETUPC.INF FROM PRECOPY2.CAB

2. OPEN SETUPC.INF AND DO THE FOLLOWING:

A.
"COMMENT OUT" (PLACE SEMICOLON BEFORE) THE FOLLOWING LINE:

wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:

; wininit.ini, CombineVxDs,,"%22%\vfbackup.vxd=%11%\vmm32.vxd"

B.
FIND THE SECTION LABELED:

[VxD.Files]

;Copy these to the \system\vmm32 dir to be bound into VMM32.VxD:

C.
IN THAT SECTION, UNDER THE LINE:

vfbackup.vxd,,,1

INSERT THE FOLLOWING LINE:

ntkern.vxd,,,1

SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS NOW:

vfbackup.vxd,,,1

ntkern.vxd,,,1

vcomm.vxd,,,1

D.
SAVE SETUPC.INF IN THE INSTALLATION SOURCE DIRECTORY.

SETUP WILL NOW USE IT INSTEAD OF THE ONE INSIDE PRECOPY2.CAB

3. PLACE ALL 10 UPDATED SYSTEM FILES CONTAINED IN THE FOLDERS W95BOTH AND W95OSR2 ON THE FIX95CPU FLOPPY INTO YOUR WINDOWS 95 INSTALLATION SOURCE FOLDER, AND SETUP WILL USE THEM INSTEAD OF THEIR OLD EQUIVALENTS INSIDE THE .CAB'S.

CDFS.VXD

DISKTSD.VXD

ESDI_506.PDR

HSFLOP.PDR

SCSIPORT.PDR

INT13.VXD

IOS.VXD

NTKERN.VXD

VFBACKUP.VXD

NDIS.VXD

Now you may simply install Windows 95 normally from this folder or from your modified installation CD by running SETUP.EXE, and no further work is required.

Edited by LoneCrusader