Windows 95 2.1GHz CPU Limit BROKEN!

I booted into safe mode and removed all devices. Then, hoping that the new update will fix this problem (on the new computer), I then installed the XUSBSUPP. Went okay, restarted and got lots of messages related to MSDUN, just selected option to skip file. Now when I retarted either in Win or safe Mode, get the message VMM32.VXD was not found or damaged.

Will place the HDD into the old computer again, hopefully there is a fix to get around the VMM32.VXD message.

Peter

I booted into safe mode and removed all devices. Then, hoping that the new update will fix this problem (on the new computer), I then installed the XUSBSUPP. Went okay, restarted and got lots of messages related to MSDUN, just selected option to skip file. Now when I retarted either in Win or safe Mode, get the message VMM32.VXD was not found or damaged.

Will place the HDD into the old computer again, hopefully there is a fix to get around the VMM32.VXD message.

Peter

Yikes! :ph34r:

I meant for you to install XUSBSUPP with the HDD in the old computer, and make sure it was OK there before trying it in the new one. Maybe I wasn't clear...

I don't know why you would be seeing anything related to MSDUN, I've never encountered that before. It is completely unrelated to USB and shares no common files.

Now we will need to get XUSBSUPP uninstalled to get rid of the VMM32.VXD error... but if you can't boot to Normal or Safe Mode, it's going to be a real pain, probably requiring several Deletes & Renames from pure DOS.

[i meant for you to install XUSBSUPP with the HDD in the old computer, and make sure it was OK there before trying it in the new one. Maybe I wasn't clear...

You were perfectly clear in your instructions, I was just hoping that, ... maybe, maybe, it would work, .. sorry. :blushing:

I don't know why you would be seeing anything related to MSDUN, I've never encountered that before. It is completely unrelated to USB and shares no common files.

Maybe related to deleting all devices ??

Now we will need to get XUSBSUPP uninstalled to get rid of the VMM32.VXD error... but if you can't boot to Normal or Safe Mode, it's going to be a real pain, probably requiring several Deletes & Renames from pure DOS.

Deletes/copies/renames don't bother me, as that (new) computer is dual boot. I can boot into Linux, 'see' the dos drives/files, and do copies,etc.

Thanks for your help,

Peter

Edited by peter777

Maybe related to deleting all devices ??

Probably. Do you have a Dial-Up Modem in the new machine? (Or the old one?)

You were perfectly clear in your instructions, I was just hoping that, ... maybe, maybe, it would work, .. sorry. :blushing:

It's OK, I'm just worried now about helping you recover your system. :ph34r: I've never encountered this problem, or anything similar, using the USBSUPP packages. I have seen something similar when using the 95 Unofficial Service Pack (mentioned previously in the thread), which rendered one of my test machines unbootable.

I made sure that XUSBSUPP would "uninstall" properly before I released it, but that only works if you are able to boot into Windows. I didn't anticipate running into this...

Deletes/copies/renames don't bother me, as that (new) computer is dual boot. I can boot into Linux, 'see' the dos drives/files, and do copies,etc.

I will have to set up a test VM and install XUSBSUPP, try to "uninstall" it manually, and then make a list of what changes need to be made.

[Probably. Do you have a Dial-Up Modem in the new machine? (Or the old one?)

There may be an inboard modem in either of those computers, but definitely I don't use DUN for Win95b, or internet or the network.

It's OK, I'm just worried now about helping you recover your system. :ph34r: I've never encountered this problem, or anything similar, using the USBSUPP packages. I have seen something similar when using the 95 Unofficial Service Pack (mentioned previously in the thread), which rendered one of my test machines unbootable.

Oops, I hope we can get this one going again.

I made sure that XUSBSUPP would "uninstall" properly before I released it, but that only works if you are able to boot into Windows. I didn't anticipate running into this...

I will have to set up a test VM and install XUSBSUPP, try to "uninstall" it manually, and then make a list of what changes need to be made.

Sorry to put you to so much trouble. I do have a WIN95B folder on that HDD, it has CAB files 02 to 28, plus a whole lot of other files, if need be. But you need Windows even to run EXTRACT I think.

Thanks,

Peter

There may be an inboard modem in either of those computers, but definitely I don't use DUN for Win95b, or internet or the network.

Ok, it's probably irrelevant anyhow. MSDUN (I believe) and XUSBSUPP (I know) copy all of their files to the required locations when installed anyhow, so "Skipping" the redundant file copies called by the various .INF's should not affect the machine.

Oops, I hope we can get this one going again.

Sorry to put you to so much trouble. I do have a WIN95B folder on that HDD, it has CAB files 02 to 28, plus a whole lot of other files, if need be. But you need Windows even to run EXTRACT I think.

Thanks,

Peter

Yes, I certainly hope we can recover the system, especially since you can't do a reinstall.

EXTRACT can be run from DOS, but VMM32.VXD is "built" during installation. The VMM32.VXD inside the .CAB files is only a "starter" file. Other .VXD's are combined with it during the second phase of SETUP.

XUSBSUPP makes backups of all the files it changes/updates, so I believe it is possible to recover, but I will have to test it before we take a chance with your system.

Ok, here is a step by step, directory by directory list of instructions for removing XUSBSUPP from an unbootable machine.

*BE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT YOU LEAVE ALL OF THE FILES WITH AN .O20 EXTENSION AND ONLY RENAME COPIES OF THEM!*

1.) In the root C:\ folder:

Be sure AUTOEXEC.BAT is blank unless your system had any previous specific settings in it.

If these lines are present, delete them:

@ECHO OFF

if not exist %winbootdir%\system\vmm32.o20 copy %winbootdir%\system\vmm32.vxd %winbootdir%\system\vmm32.o20

cd %winbootdir%\system

devlib -u vmm32.vxd

rplcldr %winbootdir%\system\vmm32\vmm.vxd %winbootdir%\system\vmm32.vxd

devlib -p vmm32.vxd

2.) In the C:\WINDOWS folder:

Delete:

VFWWDM32.DLL

3.) In the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder:

Delete:

USB.INF

IMAGE.INF

NODRIVER.INF

Copy & Rename the Copy:

NODRIVER.020 to NODRIVER.INF

4.) In the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder:

Delete:

RPLCLDR.EXE (If exists.)

DEVLIB.EXE (If exists.)

UHCD.SYS

USBD.SYS

USBHUB.SYS

OPENHCI.SYS

USBCAMD.SYS

IMAGECLS.SYS

VFWWDM.DRV

CONAGENT.EXE

KERNEL32.DLL

KRNL386.EXE

MSGSRV32.EXE

REDIRECT.MOD

SPOOLSS.DLL

WINOA386.MOD

Copy & Rename the Copy:

CONAGENT.020 to CONAGENT.EXE

KERNEL32.020 to KERNEL32.DLL

KRNL386.020 to KRNL386.EXE

MSGSRV32.020 to MSGSRV32.EXE

REDIRECT.020 to REDIRECT.MOD

SPOOLSS.020 to SPOOLSS.DLL

WINOA386.020 to WINOA386.MOD

Rename:

VMM32.VXD to VMM32.BAD (Can be deleted once all of this is successful.)

***Important!!!

Copy & Rename the Copy:

VMM32.O20 to VMM32.VXD

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO LEAVE VMM32.O20!

(I also advise making an extra backup copy of the good VMM32.O20, say VMM32.ORI)

5.) In the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 folder:

Delete:

NTKERN.VXD

VMM.VXD

VMCPD.VXD

VTD.VXD

VXDLDR.VXD

VPICD.VXD

VCOND.VXD

VWIN32.VXD

IF there are any of the above files in this folder with a .O20 extension, Copy them and Rename the Copy back to .VXD.

6.) When you boot the 95 installation again, it will error, saying it can't find NTKERN.VXD.

Ignore this and press a key to continue.

7.) If any Driver Instalalation dialogs appear, cancel them.

When the machine is booted, go into the Device Manager and remove any USB devices still showing.

8.) Then go under Add/Remove Programs and Remove "USB Supplement to OSR2."

This will get rid of the extra .O20 files but they MUST be there for the uninstaller or this uninstall can destroy your system.

It will also get rid of the NTKERN error message.

I hope this will recover your system back to the status quo ante-XUSBSUPP.. lol :lol::angel

Thanks for those very detailed instructions. I can safely remove all lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT, the CONFIG.SYS has

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

[COMMON]
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:4096 /P
files=125
LASTDRIVE=Z

Is that okay ?

Also, I will backup the complete drive before doing anything.

Thanks,

Peter

Thanks for those very detailed instructions. I can safely remove all lines in AUTOEXEC.BAT, the CONFIG.SYS has

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

[COMMON]
SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E:4096 /P
files=125
LASTDRIVE=Z

Is that okay ?

Also, I will backup the complete drive before doing anything.

Thanks,

Peter

No problem. :)

CONFIG.SYS is not altered by XUSBSUPP, so it's fine to leave as-is.

Good idea to back up the entire drive. :yes:

Thanks, the only files that end in "O20" are shown in the attached file.

Peter

Ok, that's fine. The ones that I referred to in \VMM32 "IF any ... are there" would only be there in the event that they had been updated since the original installation was done. Otherwise they are already packed into VMM32.VXD.

What's the version number of the VMM.O20 that was present? It's the only one that falls into this category it seems. Interesting, had you updated this file before?

Edited by LoneCrusader

The manual uninstall went okay, but Windows is running in MS-DOS mode now. It also said the MBR was modified - possible virus. I used to run AVG on this W95 box, but it's no longer updated. Also, can't uninstall AVG for some reason.

There are intermitant hangs, but could be the display driver, it doesn't have the correct drivers yet. Great that the W95B is back again though, thanks very much for your help. :D

[What's the version number of the VMM.O20 that was present? It's the only one that falls into this category it seems. Interesting, had you updated this file before?

I don't think I would have updated that file, but the 'patch' for using extra ram does I think. The files are

vmm32.bad 7/5/05

vmm32.vxd 11/27/12

.O20 is not there anymore, but from the backup, it is 7/5/05

Thanks for all your help,

Peter

Yes, the demo ram patch was uninstalled. I don't have the XUSBSUPP installed now, as that was uninstalled.

I wonder why Windows is running in MS-DOS mode though ?

Peter

Edited by peter777