Farewell to Windows 2000? *sob*

Dave-H

Jaclaz, what an interesting link, thanks a lot for posting! Of course, it doesn't really tell anything I/We already knew. We know that MS builds a database of all the people who use its services.

I've deliberately never had a hotmail/live mail/msn/etc. e-mail account as I know MS states that they 'own' all your e-mails whenever you use any of their e-mail services (no matter what 'cutesy' name they try to give the service). I deliberately did not go with my local DSL, Qwest as the only e-mail they provide is msn.

Deal breaker.

One's IP address (using M$ lingo) may not be considered 'personally identifiable information' but its close enough when compiled with every other detail they can collect, including what files you download/open with Windows Media Player, how many/what files you've opened with Office 2007 (earlier versions too? maybe, don't know since I never use them).

They very reason XP's so-called firewall lets all outgoing traffic through is because they want unimpeded collection of information about your computer.

I always find it amusing when someone brings up the fact that XP (and later) are regularly contacting M$. First it's denied, then 'your paranoid' and lastly 'if you don't like it, don't use M$', which of course is admitting that it's entirely true.

And yes, it happens whether you use WGA or not.

Someone help an old man's memory (hey, 38 is OLD! lol)

Putting microsoft.com in HOSTS will not work, because MS hard-codes its own domain in... some DLL that it can always phone home unless you block it at the actual hardware firewall or by using specialized DNS service.

Does anyone remember the name of that DLL? I was having this exact debate (XP phones home, no it doesn't you're just paranoid) the other week and it's driving me nuts!

Putting microsoft.com in HOSTS will not work, because MS hard-codes its own domain in... some DLL that it can always phone home unless you block it at the actual hardware firewall or by using specialized DNS service.

Does anyone remember the name of that DLL? I was having this exact debate (XP phones home, no it doesn't you're just paranoid) the other week and it's driving me nuts!

See if it's one of the ones listed here:

http://diabo.freehostia.com/windows/remove.htm

To remove WGA Notifications:

1) Open Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Windows Genuine Advantage\data\Data.dat with notepad and delete all the contents.

2) Set the empty file as "read only."

3) boot into safe mode.

4) Delete wgalogon.dll, spmgs.dll, and wgatray.exe from your system32 folder.

5) Delete Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\6c4788c9549d437e76e1773a7639582a (the number may be different on your system).

6) Reboot.

7) (Optional: search your registry for wgatray and wgalogon and delete those registry items.)

jaclaz

I always find it amusing when someone brings up the fact that XP (and later) are regularly contacting M$. First it's denied, then 'your paranoid' and lastly 'if you don't like it, don't use M$', which of course is admitting that it's entirely true.

It's easier to label someone as paranoid than it is to admit what they'd rather not. Calling home becomes more prevalent every time a new Windows comes out. It's one of the main reasons my primary system is 98. I have one XP system, and its only purpose is to play one specific game that I haven't got around to trying on 2K.

As I said elsewhere it's sad that with a few honourable exceptions like blackwingcat, few have tried to keep Windows 2000 alive, unlike Windows 98, which seems to have a whole community devoted to keeping it alive!

That could change with time. I'd speculate that there's more people doing things with 2K than we know of but they aren't aware of each other and haven't come together the way the 98 supporters have. 2K is a good system. It should be easier to keep it alive than 98 is. If you can't find that support community you're looking for, then it's time to start building it.

Right on! A hardware-based firewalls like Nvidia Active Armor with application filter plays no favorites and will stop any outgoing connection. It will even notify you if Windows' own services changes behavior... but you may have to stop services.exe

Edited by Phenomic

I clicked GL's link in the previous post; the list is really an interesting read. Windows and Microsoft Update's URLs are also included. Is it really worth blocking them all to save your privacy when one visit to the afore-mentioned sites will send pretty much the same data to MS? jaclaz's post on the amount of data collected pushes me towards paranoia. I mean: E-mails and MSN accounts?! Good thing I've never believed in Outlook (or its worse twin - O. Express).

Back to the basic topic; I used Windows 2000 for a year (2004/2005) when I worked for an institution. I must agree it was a stable system, almost ideal for corporate environments (domains, Ctrl+Alt+Del, GPO...). It never crashed on me, in spite of my persistence :whistle: . I never used it at home, but I do sort of miss it, although not as much as others here.

GrofLuigi, kako ti se svigja avatarot (how do you like my avatar)? ;)

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

As the time goes by, I'm less and less convinced that dnsapi.dll 'override' has any 'sneaky' intent - it doesn't phone home by itself. I think it's just a part of the 'security overhaul' that XP SP2 was (and maybe an avenue that was abandoned or just 'half-explored'?).

GrofLuigi, kako ti se svigja avatarot (how do you like my avatar)? ;)

Mmmm... sublime :)

GL