Windows 98SE

PROBLEMCHYLD

Well it also depends what you mean by workstation. It is possible to install Windows 98 on computer with Xeon processor if you find such machine. I also run a computer wich server components and it has quite good performance for an old Tullie.

If you are trying to run single computer with multiple console sessions i really dont know if this is possible on Windows 9x...

The most weird thing i was able to create with it was to setup a dialup connection to my computer via mobile phone and also acess the internet connection to the caller.

I just wonder if this was ever practically used, for example with ISDN...

I wonder if the Problemchyld was on about a setting on the right click on "My Computer"

Im trying to remember this without kicking out of XP and into 98.

There is a setting and I think its some sort of caching and "Server" gives more to the caching than Workstation"

Guest wsxedcrfv

I don't get it. If you set up a win-98 machine with file-sharing turned on, then what else is needed to make it a "server" ? Isin't that more of a function of what network-based apps you want to run on the client machines?

To be a basic file-server, just enable file-sharing - no?

There is a setting for the "typical role of this computer" under File System Properties, which is on the Performance tab when you right-click on My Computer and select Properties. The options for "typical role" are Network Server, Mobile or Docking system, and Desktop computer.

Also note that according to the EULA for Win-98, you're not allowed to have more than 5 external machines connect to your win-98 system, but there's no mechanism I know of that's built into win-98 to enforce that specification.

Depends on what you mean by "server". What functions do you need for a "server"? 98 (as are all non-NT) are by default "workstations".

Agreed, look into Apache. Should allow for FTP and HTTP in a fashion better than what is supplied on the 98SE CD.

And, no, "File Sharing" is not necessarily to be construed as "server". I can hook up any number of PC's of any flavor OpSys on a router (even Mac), enable File Sharing on the local network, and they will still be considered Workstations.

I'd strongly recommend not using your 98 machine as a web server. A lot of 98s security came from the fact that it didn't open a lot of ports. You run the risk of any hacker being able to do pretty much anything to your PC. If you want to go ahead, you do so at your own risk. At the very least, make sure you have all the MS security updates installed, and for a bit more protection, install the unofficial ones lying around these forums.

Although if it's just a LAN you're talking about (but it doesn't sound like you are) and nothing from the internet will access your PC, then yeah, go ahead I guess.

1 - On the Windows 98SE CD "add-ons/pws" (Personal Web Server). (Was, but apparently not anymore) Available as download from MS "NT Option Pack". Note also that it had some fixes (not very secure) for the IIS 4.0 portion.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306898

2 - Apache (or an alternative HTTP server).

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/platform/windows.html

3 - Google - "windows 98" "ftp server"

4 - Google - "windows 98" "http server" (note that Apache does show up)

your choice of any freeware (functionality, stability, etc is on you...)

Note that even Apache does not allow for security of files/folders since Win9x does not allow for this (as in read-only, etc.).

Just an F.W.I.W.

I was looking for an easy way to do what I think you are searching for, which is simple upload, download

access to files hosted my Windows 98 machine.

Connected thru a DSL line, I set my router to do port forwarding for Port 21 to my 98 machine,

(192.168.x.x) .....Then I grabbed a program called BabyFtp ....

http://www.pablosoftwaresolutions.com/html...ftp_server.html

It does logging, only allows anonymous connections, but logs IP address's.

Then when I am at another location, open a browser window and ftp to my ISP Ip

address, or in house, I just ftp to my router assigned ip address.

HTH

Jake

Edited by triger49

• 1 month later...

Urgg... !!!! 2KPro is what you want (didn't know you had that). Just "lean and mean" it out to just what you need for a server and it will perform just as well (better) than 98SE. All you need is the basic OS, the latest updates, and IIS (kinda "all u need", ennyhoo).