GigaByte EP45-UD3P owners, come here please

Octopuss

Well, yes, up to a point :)

It is stable, but the heatsink on the NB is so hot I can't even briefly touch it. Even in idle it is very hot. In load, say during some stress test, it gets so extreme I burned my finger on it a little. The PC is overclocked, but all voltages are at default values! Other people said theirs are reasonably cool even with much higher voltage. Airflow in the case is not a problem. Someone suggested my board might be defective in a way of pumping higher voltage in the NB than the BIOS says. I really don't know.

Mine is not even warm, almost the same as the room temperature, and it's OCed too (just a low FSB).

Perfect board I would say...

EDIT: I don't know what BIOS I'm using now and the voltages in the BIOS, will post those in a bit.

Let me explain further.

Thr airflow in the case is totally acceptable. There is plenty of room, and I've got one Noctua fan blowing onto CPU heatsink, and close after that there is the outtake fan, Noctua as well. The average temperature in the case as reported by HWMonitor is 45°C in full load (talking about say Prime95 running). Depending on outside temperature under 40 in idle. It is just the NB that goes very hot. I would normally not care because acording to specifications the critical temperature for P45 chipset is 103°C, but other owners reported theirs being warm at most even when pumping 1.3V into the NB. Default is 1.1. Based on that, I suspect something being wrong. Is it possible that the mb is reporting default voltage, but in fact setting much higher value ?

you have to keep in mind that it can be difficult for air to effectively cool the components on the motherboard.

you cannot simply say no, that blowing air directly onto the heatsink will not cool it down.

it is possible that the motherboard is reading the wrong value, meaning a bad sensor, it happens.

to verify this use a multimeter.

one thing you can try though it putting some AS5 or similar thermal paste on there instead of the stock junk.

While it certainly is possible the NB is receiving a higher voltage than reported by the BIOS, it probably isn't so high as to damage the NB right away, or you'd have a very different story to report. So, if, and only if, the motherboard is performing normally otherwise, I'd recommend you give your NB a good fan-cooled heatsink, Noctua and Zalman being the best I know of, so as to do away with the excess heat, and don't worry about it anymore. I do also think it'll be extemely difficult to RMA it for this reason. YMMV, of course.

EDIT: I don't know what BIOS I'm using now and the voltages in the BIOS, will post those in a bit.
I have version 1.0 by the way, there is also 1.1 and 1.6, what ever the differences are. Normally the NB is set at 1.1v, I have mine at 1.2v. temperatures are some 6 to 14oC above ambient.

I have version 1.0 by the way, there is also 1.1 and 1.6, what ever the differences are. Normally the NB is set at 1.1v, I have mine at 1.2v. temperatures are some 6 to 14oC above ambient.

Then mine must definitely be wrong, because at 1.1 in load, I can't touch the heatsink for longer than one second. I'd get burned.

well we have given you some options, either RMA or change the heatsink.
Just wait till it burns out. :P

But yes, I would ask tech-support what to do. Changing the heatsink is no option in my eyes...

They basically told me they can send the board somewhere for evaluation, but it probably won't do any good and it would get returned back.

Plus it would take ages and what am I supposed to do without a PC?

In worst case I could even be forced to pay because of wrongful RMA, I guess.

Screw it, I will sell it and buy DS4 with good cooling and hopefully everything in order.

Edited by TheWalrus

They basically told me they can send the board somewhere for evaluation, but it probably won't do any good and it would get returned back.

Plus it would take ages and what am I supposed to do without a PC?

In worst case I could even be forced to pay because of wrongful RMA, I guess.

Screw it, I will sell it and buy DS4 with good cooling and hopefully everything in order.

My DS4 runs nicely even though the heatsink looks a little small thanks to multiple heat pipes and being made of copper. But I would try RMA first.