Windows 7 & vLite *DEPRECATED*

liquid0624

Thanks, I need to recheck some things:

Removal drivers after removal packages (otherwise package-removal fails)

QoS kept, still no manual WLAN (I overlooked something)

Windows Image Viewer does not work

Dead0, files from DriverStore folder are link to files within WinSxS, why you delete from DriverStore?

i just delete any remaining prn, wia,ati, nv, from driverstore, inf, winsxs & manifest! even though they're linked explorer doesn't show the actual install size correctly?

ps on a side note, does windows 7 share the same core files as server 2008 r2? so besides the added server features, ultimate & server are one & the same?

Edited by dead0

no, both are the same. Server is configured for background services and server functions. Client/Workstation and Server version were always the same, only with XP MSFT was not able to finish the .net server Version in 2001, so that this version was more stable because it was released later.

no, both are the same. Server is configured for background services and server functions. Client/Workstation and Server version were always the same, only with XP MSFT was not able to finish the .net server Version in 2001, so that this version was more stable because it was released later.

windows 7x64 does "feel" snappy compared to server 2008 r2 whereas i found server 2008 more snappy than vista?

Thanks, I need to recheck some things:

Removal drivers after removal packages (otherwise package-removal fails)

QoS kept, still no manual WLAN (I overlooked something)

Windows Image Viewer does not work

Windows Image Viewer is broken by dism-removal. Since I use IrfanView, I decided to drop Windows Image Viewer and WCS/ICM. EAP was breaking manual WLAN-connection set-up. Somewhere on this forum, someone one stated that it was not required, so wrong he was. I need to test 1 thing, because manual removal from wim-file causes safe removal to break. When I have worked that out, then I will post my final prest and removal-batch. I am coming close to install.wim of 1.02GB and installation 3.25GB (no swap-/hibernate-file).

Can not be removed (installation errors):

Internet Explorer, Windows Firewall, Internet Connection Sharing

Can be removed (reduced functionality):

WLAN Support + Network and Sharing Center + EAP (no manual set-up of WLAN possible)

Windows Connect Now (safe removal gone)

Windows Image Acquisition (required for Webcam)

Microsoft HTML Engine (Required for Firefox plugin IEtab)

Can be removed (but keep re-appearing):

Welcome Center, TBM

Can be removed (no issues):

Game Explorer, Snipping tool, Application Experience

Untested (excludign the obvious components):

Multimedia Class Scheduler (Still not sure if it is required)

MDAC (caused serious issues in previous build/RC)

Task Scheduler (Issues with event-sounds and Avast virus scanner, keeping it)

Windows Event Log (would like to see errors while testing)

Yeez I finally figured out which component Safe removal required...

"%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"

I can not believe I did not think of that earlier, it is so obvious (dropping the sarcasm). When I move it to system32 and register it, then it also works. Just want to see if I can drop Windows Connect Now as well. After that 1 final test and I will post the details.

Ok, here the preset I am using. You have to understand the batch-file included (rename it to removal.bat). There are some comments, but you must know what you are doing. Use parameter all (removal.bat all) for removal of packages and cleanup, parameter packages (removal.bat packages) just for for package removal and cleanup (removal.bat cleanup) for just the cleanup. You also need the install_wim tweak and correct the paths in the batch file to fit your needs.

I could try and remove ICS and Windows Firewall, but I doubt that will work (maybe I will give it another try). I was able to remove Internet Explorer and keep Firefox plugin IE tab working.

However I think this is the limit for now (install.wim 1.02GB, Windows-drive 3.25GB excluding page-/hibernate-file) and I am happy with it. Just need to see that everything functions as it should, as I have not yet done extensive testing.

For safe removal you need to perform the following command after installation:

regsvr32 /s "%SystemRoot%\system32\ieproxy.dll"

@Jeronimo

wooohhh!!! that an awesome batch mate... well thx!! greatly appreciated.

anyway i noob question here.. whats the difference of deleting the folder and nullifying the folder? does the nullified folder will be removed after rebuilding the image??