Fileset 9, all done

fdv

2) is REALLY annoying. I hope you can get that fixed.

I can include 827675 for now (or ever), it overrides the undocumented one it seems.

Any progress on the fileset?

AFAICT... the bugs are fixed. Even the stupid BMP association bug. Bug 2, Explorer settings, so far for me seems to be fixed. FWIW I can't recall ever having that bug when I used IE6 hotfix files. But then again when you use IE6 hotfix files, you cannot use the "Open containing folder" function after a search, which I use probably 50 times a day.

http://www.vorck.com/data/fdvfiles.zip

(No more SP5 in the filename as I agree, it was misleading).

The fileset is much larger because I included wallpaper.

1. It's not that much larger. Even on a low bandwidth connection, it's 2.7 megs as opposed to 880k so it won't take that long.

2. I like the wallpaper I added, it gives set 9 some "pizazz." Or something.

3. If folks don't like it they can always delete it no harm done because everyone knows how to change Windows wallpaper, even newbies.

4. It's a forest scene and very calming. My main choice would probably have offended some :whistle:

Thanks alot for your continued efforts, mate!

I've just reinstalled with set-8j yesterday, so i'll wait alittle, before re-installing again, but i'll test set-9-final out in a VM tomorrow or the day after, and report back...

Personally, then i love the black desktop background(and the NT4 icons from the dll you include :thumbup), but of course i can just change it...

Thanks again, mate - you rock!

I just tested set-9-final in a VM, and everything seems allright, except now another file won't register from mpcodecs.inf, which then unfortunetly means that the files underneath that file in the RegisterDLLs section won't register:

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\odbcconf.dll because of the following error:
DllRegisterServer returned error 2147500037 (80004005).

Warning:
NetSetup: Could not find a section for {315D2238-1BA8-4D1D-B10D-29538576C9C0}, therefore if parameters were specified for this adapter (e.g. static IP address, etc.) they will not be used.

Warning:
Setup was unable to initialize NetDDE because of the following error:
A routine in the NetDDE library returned failure.

Error:

Setup was unable to prepare for network setup.

Error:
Setup was unable to process some components because of the following error in section DefaultInstall of information file mpcodecs.inf:
The specified procedure could not be found.

Error:
Setup could not register the OLE Control C:\WINNT\system32\fdeploy.dll because of the following error:
LoadLibrary returned error 126 (7e).

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry ClipSrv because of the following error:
OpenService returned error 1060 (424).

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry NetDDE because of the following error:

Warning:
Setup was unable to change service entry NetDDEdsdm because of the following error:

Error:

An error occurred during the final phase of Setup.

Btw, there are sounds configured for several conditions(without media-files). I would guess most would want no sounds at all...

Here's some tweaks-suggestions which i run from an INF at first-logon:

;Make start-menu's control-panel link into a menu:
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced","CascadeControlPanel",0x0,"YES"

;Detail-view in explorer(+disable status-bar):
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams","Settings",0x1,08,00,00,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,77,7E,13,73,35,CF,11,AE,69,08,00,2B,2E,12,62,03,00,0

;Make "My Computer" open with two panes(folder-view):
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell","",,"explore"

;Show drive-letters first in explorer:
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer","ShowDriveLettersFirst",0x10001,04,00,00,00

;Show BSoD's instead of auto-restarting:
HKLM,"SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl","AutoReboot",0x10001,00,00,00,00

I also hate that delete-confirmation prompt and disable that, and add some other tweaks, but i guess not everyone want's that, but the above should be pretty universal for fdv-filset users I would think...

CU, Martin :)

Edited by Martin H

Before I do though, I get a reg error in the error log for fdeploy.dll

Why would this be? It's in the right place. Any ideas? I'd like to get that squared away.

Before I do though, I get a reg error in the error log for fdeploy.dll

Why would this be? It's in the right place. Any ideas? I'd like to get that squared away.

Sorry, mate; I have no idea why it won't register from syssetup.inf ??? :unsure:

You used to just comment it out in set8j:

;11,,fdeploy.dll,R;error 126 when registering

Edited by Martin H

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering using FDV's no-IE on my Win2K install, since I'm repartitioning up my drive and organizing for some multi-boot options. For those in the know is there a list somewhere of software that requires IE or would more than likely break without it?

FDV mentions Norton's et al, which I haven't used for quite a few years now, though I do miss SpeedDisk - it's just not worth the hosing of the registry for that one utility (course back in the Win98 days I created a SpeedDisk-only pkg, I dont recall how now).

[EDIT]

Does not having IE break ActiveX? I notice a tool I use, Xbar (v1.06) requires an ActiveX component comdlg32.ocx to be registered.

Xbar appears to be difficult to find online these days, no longer at virtualplastic.net, and his home of methodik.pixelarmy.org is gone. Xbar also gets matched by "X-Bar" in google along with a number of other similiarly named applications. I did find Xbar here, if anyone is interested.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Crash&Burn

It's fairly rare to find something. Remember the help subsystem will be gone too but there is free software for that -- several choices. I'll list below what I have installed on my system that works without any problems:

Adobe Creative Suite 2, Aida, catchcolor, DAEMON Tools, Defraggler, exescope, FileZilla FTP Client, GNU PG, html-cleaner, IrfanView, Java, jkdefragger, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Microsoft Office XP, Mozilla Firefox, Mythicsoft Agent Ransack, Nero, nlite, Notepad++, nrg2iso, Orca, PDFCreator, proxomitron, QuickTime Alternative, Quintessential Media Player, reshack, resorceextractor, TClockEx, The Bat!, THE Rename, uTorrent, VideoLAN, VMware Workstation, willypad, WinMerge, WinRAR, xnews, xvi32, and all of the Sysinternals/MS utilities. These are my regulars. There is a lot of stuff I've used without problems like Office 2003, for example, or Soundforge that I do not use any longer.

I used to run PCAnywhere, and that requires IE6 and patches (you can still use my fileset, it only needs IE6 system files).

That OCX control you cite shouldn't be a problem.

So far the only IE dependent piece of software I have not been able to use has been AVG Antivirus.

Totally OT:

I have a directory on an usb drive that's missing it's '..' subdir. (Try google to find that!) So I can't see what's in it anymore.

The contents of the dir aren't really important so ideas of how to delete the dir are as welcome as those of how to restore a '..'.

I had a collegue once who could make '...' , '....' etc subdirs but I don't speak Assembly.

Alt.Binz (last free version) also installs and works great on fdv-2000. Only it's name is crap, it's a very fast downloader/decoder.

@ FDV : *grin* I use like 80% of that list hehe. Thanks. Will see how it turns out :-)

FYI I use tClock Light, it's much better than tClockEX, or tClock2.

I just wish I could find a decent MP3Tagger - the best I've seen is MP3Tag, and the last version compatible with Win2K is 2.39.

@ Brabant, You might try mounting your USB Drive into a folder - details at the AumHa Forums:

The Care and Feeding of USB Storage Devices in XP. I've no idea if that will work/help, but it can't hurt.

If wanting to remove the wallpaper from set-9, then either edit shell.inf, or add these entries to your 1st-logon tweaks/apps-install INF:

HKCU,"Control Panel\Desktop","Wallpaper",,""
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General","Wallpaper",,""

If wanting to remove readme.txt on the desktop, then either edit axant5.inf, or add this to your 1st-logon tweaks/apps-install INF:

DelFiles=delfiles

[DestinationDirs]
delfiles=16409

[delfiles]
readme.txt

What kind of thoroughput do ya'll get with the uniata.sys ??

With `Silicon Image Serial ATA IDE Driver V1.0.0.2` I get ~25-40MB/s, generally averages around 33MB/s (on Western Digital 500MB Sata I/II drives, and Seagate 300MB Sata I)

[Aside]

Of course reading thru alter.org's Info, it's possible not having SI's drivers loaded when those disks were connected was what caused Windows to freak out, claim my drive was corrupt and forced run CHKDSK after my windows install/reboot. Or possibly having them plugged into one of the 2 Nvidia Nforce3 Sata connections on the board instead of one of the 4 SI's Sata connections.

Actually maybe the uniata.sys wont be useable in my case. I was thinking SiS == Silicon Image... from the supported controllers list, silicon image isn't listed at all.

[/Aside]

FDV has an evil sense of humour methinks ;) Download 35MB to get a bitty for Add/Remove Programs.

(1) Regarding the inability to read CHM Help files, does using the CHM Encoder 1.2 mean you unpack any of the wanted CHM files to make them HTML readable? Thats the gist I was getting from the programs description.

(2) Is there any way to make programs that want to open a CHM file get redirected to the unpacked HTML instead?

FYI:

Also if you are unpacking CHM files, they'll take up a lot more space - this may be of interest to FDV fileset users, PFM Audit Package - specifically, you can create a CFS (select zip compression on creation), then you mount the file - which creates a folder that you can drop files into, the files then become zipped and are readable by Windows as if they are regular files in a normal folder. I have successfully used it to create program files folders for massive programs - taking their install size down from 200+MB to 112MB. The only issue atm, is the PersonalFolders (PFO/CFS) don't auto-mount upon windows restart - so I wrote a small command script to call PFM to mount my "folders".

Edited by Crash&Burn

For help files I would recommend xCHM, as it's leightweight and has a nice simplistic gui with treeview and tabs etc. It also has an option for making xCHM the default reader for help files for ppl who don't know how to associate the CHM file-extension to xCHM manually...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/xchm/files...16.zip/download

Edited by Martin H