Fileset 9, all done

fdv

@fdv

Just wanted to say thanks alot for set#9, it rocks! :)

No problems that i could find and 32.5mb commit(where taskmanager itself is 2.5mb, so that's actually only 30mb commit!)

Thanks again for all your great work!

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

Heh, you guys are quite welcome!

Performance counters could go, too, I guess.

I'm going to have a look and see what else might.

Meanwhile I am about to introduce XP fileset 1.

It is very preliminary and leaves IE in for now.

Meanwhile I am about to introduce XP fileset 1.

It is very preliminary and leaves IE in for now.

this is exciting ... tp just recently posted xp reducers. looking forward ...

btw, fdv, i hope you received the e-mail i sent you to the address you gave me. have you by any chance seen it?

should there be anything, please let me know.

been reading from your site but i'm just not sure if my other concerns (by following the directions i could work on 1 though but perhaps not all) for xp sp3 are there.

appreciate the help.

cheers!

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Just a small note to Win2k-fdv users...

If using a DirectShow enabled program without inbuild filters, then MP3 files cannot play/decode...

I noticed it when using ImgBurn and trying to burn an audio-CD from some MP3s, and where ImgBurn reported that there where a source filter missing. l3codecx.ax is in system32 allright, but it's the source filter that's missing(or maybe some reg-entries, as most filters is in quartz.dll)...

Anyway, to make a long story short, then download Gabest mpeg-audio source/splitter filter and regsvr32 it as ussual with DS filters...

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli...310.7z/download

@fdv: Maybe you could investigate this issue at some point, if/when having the time/motivation :)

CU, Martin.

Edited by Martin H

@Martin - can you run DXDIAG and see if there are missing files? Do you know if this worked in set8k? I have to ask because I do not have a fileset9 install in use right now, I am running XP at home. Yeah, yeah, I know, silly me :lol:

@Kiki - I forgot, sorry! I will address that I promise!

No missing files... Sorry i don't know if it was in set 8k as i've never used it, but it was in set 8 g or h, can remember(last 8 set used)...

I checked at the msdn site and it listed the msft ds filters and i wasen't sure which filter exactly it was that's needed, as the mpeg audio source filters only where listed to support layer 1 and 2 ? (as you know mp3 is layer 3), but there where a mpeg1 source filter, but it was listed as incorporated in quartz.dll like most of the others, but sounded like it was for video files..

anyway, don't stress it, mate! :)

@fdv

I'm REALLY sorry for wasting your time, fdv! I've just spend a couple of ours looking at procmon logs and reading up on DS source filters, and then i suddently saw a page which states that the default mp3 source filter of 2k/xp will not parse mp3's with big ID3v2.3 tags, and then i thought to myself that then it probably also could not support Id3v2.4 tags as that what i use, since foobar2000 only supports TXXX Id3v2 frames when using ID3v2.4 tags, and when testing it(changing tag type), then sure enough, that was the only issue and it worked now!

Again, sorry about that mate!

PS: I've been thinking about something, so could you please tell me about the following:

Your fileset removes IE. On your site then you additionally state that to fully murder IE then some files needs edited for their reginst sections. I can understand that, but since the explorer shell and ie shares some of the same binaries, then aren't ie still not murdered completelly, but just crippled(mshtml.dll removed etc.) ? I mean the reginst sections can be removed, but the actual ie related function calls are still in the dlls right? (like browseui contains gui for both explorer and ie i'm guessing, and the ie control: Shdocvw.dll is also still in etc....) I know that from a security standpoint, then it's a non-issue, but i was just interested in it theoretically ? This seems to me as in that IE cannot be completelly removed, as else the OS gets borked, as msft themselves state, dosen't it?

Just currious about it, and not thinking about security when i ask this :)

Not a huge deal, I only spent ~30 mins looking for an answer on the 2k thing so no biggie :wacko:

As far as IE goes, honestly, you'd need access to source code. The fact that Windows will work without it is very telling, and you might be right -- there would be calls, but would they be plastered everywhere? Hard to tell. Could they be commented out and the DLLs recompiled and there be no loss of functionality? On that question, I am very sure the answer would be "yes."

@Kiki - I forgot, sorry! I will address that I promise!
:hello: looking forward to it when you have the spare time to accommodate it so i can try it out in my new build attempts. my msfn mailbox though is full. external e-mail would be great. appreciate it. cheers!

Thanks for your reply, mate!

Please note that i love your fileset as it is, and wasen't wanting you to change anything about it, but i was just interrested in knowing how much of IE was still present...

I read on wikipedia that e.g. browseui.dll contains the gui for both IE and explorer, and that shdocvw.dll which explorer links to, is the actual IE webbrowser control etc.

Although the article i read on the IE dll's where for IE6 i believe, so maybe it's different for IE5 i don't know...

To be honest, then i was asking because i wanted to know if i really could say to ppl: "hey, guess what, I have IE removed on my system!", or if i instead should say "I have most of IE removed on my system, so IE is crippled!"

You have done great work and of course i wouldn't want you to disassembe dll's, but i just was wondering since you stated many times on your site that IE was removed...

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

PS: When i said sorry for wasting your time on the MP3 Ds issue, then i wasen't reffering to me expecting that you allready where being troubleshooting the issue, but just for spending time reading my ignorant bug-report... :)

Edited by Martin H

@fdv

I really value your openion, so could you please answer a couple of questions for me please, thanks:

1. Would you in your openion say that it's not a good idea to keep on using Win2k(fdv'ed) after the security-patches comes to an end later this year? (As a personal computer that isn't setup as webpage or print/file server, but just used as a personal computer)

2. For what reason did you change away from Win2k and over to XP? (I'm pretty sure i know the reasons, but still would like to hear it nonetheless :)).

3. I have searched all over for info on shdocvw.dll, and everywhere it's stated to be the IE 'web-browser control', and not any info for it's shell functions. If you know, then could you please tell me what that dll has of features for the Windows Explorer shell on Win2k-IE5(i've read it changed in IE6+).

PS: If you ever felt bored or something, then i would love if you could make a dosnet.inf file, just as hfslip does... It's just that i hate to have everything unattended, EXCEPT the formating part, so i would love to use BartPE as a unattended "starter" for formating the C: partition and launching the install through winnt32.exe... (I know winnt32.exe installs isn't officially supported with hfslip, but still hfslip nonetheless updates dosnet.inf ;)). I cannot use winnt.sif commands for that, as i have a D: partition additionally...

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Martin H

Hey man!

1. Would you in your openion say that it's not a good idea to keep on using Win2k(fdv'ed) after the security-patches comes to an end later this year? (As a personal computer that isn't setup as webpage or print/file server, but just used as a personal computer)

I would agree with this -- that it is not a good idea. MS has already released TCP/IP patches for XP and above and not for 2k because, according to them, the protocol stack is different in 2k (and of course being closed source there is no way for us to know). After summer 2010, I'd say 2k will be good for, say, running MAME in a custom cabinet not connected to the 'net. With a good hardware firewall there probably won't be any real risk, but you never know; we all thought that since NT4 was so mature after SP6a+Rollup that it would remain a good multipurpose OS, but sure enough, many of the 2k exploits affected NT4 as well.

2. For what reason did you change away from Win2k and over to XP? (I'm pretty sure i know the reasons, but still would like to hear it nonetheless :)).

Haha! Well, okay, if you must know, I have to run the Adobe Creative Suite version 4, and only version 2 worked on win2k; after that it was XP only. My office environment demands it also*.

3. I have searched all over for info on shdocvw.dll, and everywhere it's stated to be the IE 'web-browser control', and not any info for it's shell functions. If you know, then could you please tell me what that dll has of features for the Windows Explorer shell on Win2k-IE5(i've read it changed in IE6+).

The best I can do for you is to direct you to the WINE project; they might have some documentation on what might be in it since they had to duplicate its functionality.

PS: If you ever felt bored or something, then i would love if you could make a dosnet.inf file, just as hfslip does... It's just that i hate to have everything unattended, EXCEPT the formating part, so i would love to use BartPE as a unattended "starter" for formating the C: partition and launching the install through winnt32.exe... (I know winnt32.exe installs isn't officially supported with hfslip, but still hfslip nonetheless updates dosnet.inf ;)). I cannot use winnt.sif commands for that, as i have a D: partition additionally...

I'll think about it but I don't see too much demand; one only needs to take the file list from TXTSETUP, paste it into Word,

replace the = 1,,,,,,,^t^t^t^t with nothing, then

replace ^p with ^pd1,

Just make sure nothing is after the filename, and d1, is before each filename.

That's pretty easy actually.

*I'm sure people will catch that. I actually don't use HFSLIP anywhere but home; at the office I need to know exactly what's being replaced, so for many years I have been creating a manually slipstreamed Win2k. I'd get the hotfixes, extract with /x, and see just what files were at work, and extract the registry data and manually put it into the HIVE files.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while running hfslip so.... I could be wrong ;-)

(This one is still current I hope: http://www.vorck.com/windows/data/fdvfiles.zip)

If I want to install media player all I have to do is to uncomment mplayer2.inf from syssetup.in_ , is that right?

Because if I do during 'Performing final tasks' and 'installs Start menu items' install asks for mplayer2.exe.

That file is mpc renamed to mplayer2.exe in APPREPLACEMENT. It is also in the CDs i386 dir and if I point the installer there it is happy. (I can also extract manually so I think that replace process went well)

So I thought I had to uncomment mplayer2.exe in layout and txtsetup. But now it asks for logagent.exe (it is on the cd as well and it can be extracted) which it didn't do before. (I point it there and install continues.)

So what am I doing wrong?

AVG Antivirus 8 seems to rely on IE.

Don't remember if i posted this elsewhere but I'm using

AVG free on the Asus running 2000 version 7.5.557 &

on the eMachine using 7.5.524a [from filehippo] and manually downloading the bottom

two files from here:

http://free.avg.com/ww-en/download-update

and doing a manual upgrade from folder and it still works.

Edited by Browncoat