Unofficial Windows 95 OSR2.x Service Pack 1.0x Final Release

erpdude8

only for a brief time Q282901 was available in english language but they've revoked it a long time ago due to unforeseen problems. Microsoft is NOT always correct in which languages they provide certain hotfixes when they mention them in certain KB articles. they have not always been consistent in that, LoneCrusader.

Unforeseen Problems? Such as? What documentation do you have of this?

I am well aware of discrepancies in various KB articles, but, until I see documentation stating otherwise, I will accept Q282901 at face value.

no, he did not have it in english. Petr didn't specficially state which language he has those updated files, so I'm not convinced that he has all those files in english language. if he did had the files from Q282901 in english, he would have told me & sent them to me a long time ago and I would have included them in the SP already - all which never did happen.

Well, since Petr did not state that he didn't have the files in English, then I'm not convinced that he does not. :angrym:

If I were Petr, I wouldn't send you any HotFix that I had after the "less than courteous" way you reacted to his solving the Q312108 issue. You were blatantly incorrect, as I have now proven. :whistle:

• 3 months later...

Hi erpdude8, I really find this project useful.

But I was wondering, since you were able to make ANSI versions of some of the dlls if you could add a few missing functions to Kernel.dll? Specifically CreateWaitableTimerA which fmodex.dll uses.

I'm not sure if you are able to do that, but I thought I'd ask since I see you managed to add a few other dlls and ANSI versions of them.

Thank you for the SP Project! ;)

Hi erpdude8, I really find this project useful.

But I was wondering, since you were able to make ANSI versions of some of the dlls if you could add a few missing functions to Kernel.dll? Specifically CreateWaitableTimerA which fmodex.dll uses.

I'm not sure if you are able to do that, but I thought I'd ask since I see you managed to add a few other dlls and ANSI versions of them.

Thank you for the SP Project! ;)

Since there is no KernelEx to extend W95, you might be able to stub missing function calls with jumper's Import Patcher :

Joe.

• 3 months later...

I believe I found a bug. I decided to test this on another machine I had lying around (Compaq Persario SR1920NX).

After installing just the main updates with the program, Windows refuses to boot giving saying "VMM32.VXD is corrupted or cannot be found". A quick check shows that VMM32.vxd is present on the system.

I am not positive, but It might have something to do with the 2.1 Ghz patch, the CPU on the computer is an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ / 2.2 GHz so its required to get Windows to install.

Edit: Oh and Thanks JDS for the other information, sorry for the late thanks as I forgot I had asked that months ago. :whistle:

Edit 2: Whoops, copied the wrong CPU. Fixed that.

Edited by ThetaEpsilon

I believe I found a bug. I decided to test this on another machine I had lying around (Compaq Persario SR1920NX).

After installing just the main updates with the program, Windows refuses to boot giving saying "VMM32.VXD is corrupted or cannot be found". A quick check shows that VMM32.vxd is present on the system.

I am not positive, but It might have something to do with the 2.1 Ghz patch, the CPU on the computer is an Intel 2.66Ghz Celeron D so its required to get Windows to install.

Edit: Oh and Thanks JDS for the other information, sorry for the late thanks as I forgot I had asked that months ago. :whistle:

This package is incompatible with my FIX95CPU update. It rendered one of my test systems unbootable. I do not recommend using it.

These issues have been documented in the FIX95CPU thread.

• 4 months later...

I've tried MDGx's links earlier too and they all fall to a 404 page. Either the site is in the process of being reorganized, or it's been hacked. :( Bear in mind MDGx hasn't been seen here in quite a while, if I'm not mistaken.

ALSO be aware of pitfalls for the USBSTR95. ;)

USBSTR95 is a little "disorganized" as it was left in a Beta state before PassingBy left us. :(

However, USBSTR95 contains the BEST CURRENTLY (PUBLICLY) AVAILABLE USB Storage Drivers for Windows 95.

I know this for a fact, because I have spent literally DAYS combing DriverGuide, old FTP servers, and the like searching for better drivers. I have even contacted the manufacturers of early USB Storage Devices (such as Phison and Apacer) and requested any older 95-compatible drivers they may have had (no luck here of course, all claim to have never supported it, despite some documentation I have found that claims otherwise... :unsure: ).

The only "issues" with USBSTR95 are 1)unnecessary files included, and 2)a later version of EjectUSB exists than the version in the full package.

The drivers themselves have limitations, but this it not the fault of USBSTR95 or PassingBy who created it.

Edited by LoneCrusader

I barely found OSR2SP1 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 Full on my HDDs, together with the other two. But USBSTR95 is dated back in December 2007 and FIX95CPU is from April 2010 - I wonder if those are the latest versions. :unsure:

I could host them at my repository, if needed, except maybe for the large package - not sure if I can upload it there.

Edited by Drugwash

I've tried MDGx's links earlier too and they all fall to a 404 page. Either the site is in the process of being reorganized, or it's been hacked. :( Bear in mind MDGx hasn't been seen here in quite a while, if I'm not mistaken.

I have also been concerned about MDGx, he did not answer the last couple of emails I sent him (2 or 3 messages over a span of about a year) so we may need to look into making some kind of archives in case his site goes down... :ph34r:

I barely found OSR2SP1 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 Full on my HDDs, together with the other two. But USBSTR95 is dated back in December 2007 and FIX95CPU is from April 2010 - I wonder if those are the latest versions. :unsure:

I could host them at my repository, if needed, except maybe for the large package - not sure if I can upload it there.

The files inside FIX95CPU.ZIP should carry a date of 4/16/10, and the README should say "Version 2.0."

USBSTR95 was only issued in one version AFAIK, and 12/2007 is correct I believe.

Dates and version match. Here's the files:

FIX95CPU

USBSTR95

OSR2SP1 v1.0.5

Mirroring MDGx's site would be quite an endeavour, assuming there's still anything left there. I can't take on this task, as I have neither free space left, nor unlimited download quota or large bandwidth (GPRS modem 7.2Mbps connection, 5GB monthly download quota). :(

I really hope it's just a temporary quirk due to reorganization of files/pages, but in any case, we should have at least another backup, just for safety. Not to mention a lot of the resources are links to now dead MS pages/files since they may have not been redistributable or too large in size.

(added SP1 link - thanks LoneCrusader for the integrity check!)

Edited by Drugwash