Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

7 minutes ago, NoNothing said:

My hero!! Thank you so much for this! I will try it after the holiday.

Good :)

If you can, let us know how it went.

jaclaz

Grazie mille to jaclaz for the ISO file!:worship: I used it successfully to update the firmware on my ST31000333AS hdd. None of the backup files stored on the disk were harmed, either. Hopefully, the drive won't die from some other cause anytime soon.;) Thanks again!

12 hours ago, NoNothing said:

Grazie mille to jaclaz for the ISO file!:worship: I used it successfully to update the firmware on my ST31000333AS hdd. None of the backup files stored on the disk were harmed, either. Hopefully, the drive won't die from some other cause anytime soon.;) Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Another happy bunny in the basket :):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128727-cant-access-repair-my-pc-option-via-f8-startup/?p=828512

jaclaz

Hi everybody. Still here in 2019 trying to recover these ill-fated 7200.11 drives...

Six months ago I got one of them from a colleague, ST31000333AS with SD35 firmware, in BSY state. I got an USB-to-RS232 cable from eBay, installed the drivers, set everything up and restored it in less than an hour. All data were still there... complete success.

Last month a friend asked me to fix his HD, same model and same firmware. I thought "that's an easy one, I've already done it". And of course something went wrong. My fear is that at the very end of the process I made a mistake turning off the power too soon... Now the BIOS can see the hd, with the right 1 Tb capacity, but the partition is not recognized. I repeated the whole process many times, but after the "m0..." command the results are not as expected: I have to wait 10-12 minutes, then I get this message

"User Partition Format   4% complete, Zone 00, Pass 00, LBA 00004AA5, ErrCode 00000080, Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs        
User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 30 secs        
Zone re-format was skipped."

Do you think it's bricked without hope, or is there still a chance to get it back to work? Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Quick recap:
1) if it is "LBA0", it is bricked
2) if it is "BUSY", it is bricked
3) if the BIOS sees it, possibly with its full capacity, then it is NOT bricked (anymore)

The state in which it is is definitely "NOT bricked", but this doesn't mean that there is not some other issue (hopefully a small corruption that can be sometimes - but not alwasy - fixed ).

See an example of success:

and one of failure:

In case, start a NEW thread asking for help to attempt recovering the partition(s) on the disk.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Thanks for your answer, Jaclaz. BTW, it's somewhat funny to communicate in English... since we're both from Italy :rolleyes:

For the record, I ran TestDisk to check if the partition was corrupted, but there was definitely something wrong. After I chose the drive in the selection page, it took a LOT of time to open the next one (Partition Table). Then I checked one option after another, getting always the same answer: bad partition. Doing a QuickSearch caused the app to freeze after a few sectors (327680). Doesn't seem like a good sign to me.

Can the pictures be put back on the original post for the walkthrough please I need to perform this on 2 drives that I thought were dead since 2013

Hello,

My Seagate STAY2000102 (2TB) suddenly stopped working. On restart, I get a screen that says "ST_M13FQBL 04181241 S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD". Disk management shows the disk as 0 Disk 1 Unknown 3.86 GB Not Initialized. Please let me know if this hard drive could be rescued. If the exact same issue has been discussed already, please direct me to the page. Due to vision issue, I have to limit my reading, so I couldn't go through the pages on this topic.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, NQ1 said:

Hello,

My Seagate STAY2000102 (2TB) suddenly stopped working. On restart, I get a screen that says "ST_M13FQBL 04181241 S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD". Disk management shows the disk as 0 Disk 1 Unknown 3.86 GB Not Initialized. Please let me know if this hard drive could be rescued. If the exact same issue has been discussed already, please direct me to the page. Due to vision issue, I have to limit my reading, so I couldn't go through the pages on this topic.

Thanks.

The answer is yes and no (and no :w00t: ),  the disk detected as 3.86 GB can be the common symptom of different issues.

So:

1) Yes (if it is one of the fixable ones)
2) No (if it is not one of the fixable ones)
3) and No, nothing that you can do yourself, besides the serial connection some specialized tools are needed and it is NOT an easy to do procedure, you have to ask a professional

Here is an example of a recovery:

but more often than not the issue is due to head(s) gone bad, which implies going to a reliable data recovery firm (with the appropriate tools and knowledge to perform platter/heads swap and recalibration).

A software only data recovery should be in the hundreds of dollars, if a platters/heads swap is needed you are likely crossing the border to thousands. :(

jaclaz

Thanks for the reply.

Remembered one thing, My Seagate hard drive failed about 2 weeks after upgrading windows 10 to the 1903 version. That reminded me that in 2015, I lost 2 old hard drives shortly after upgrading to windows 10, all 3 made clicking noises before they died. Is it possible that windows upgrades did this? quick search online shows other people having similar problem.

2 hours ago, NQ1 said:

Remembered one thing, My Seagate hard drive failed about 2 weeks after upgrading windows 10 to the 1903 version. That reminded me that in 2015, I lost 2 old hard drives shortly after upgrading to windows 10, all 3 made clicking noises before they died. Is it possible that windows upgrades did this? quick search online shows other people having similar problem.

No, meaning that there is no "direct" link between an upgrade/update and a hard disk failing.

What may happen, in the case of a "huge" update/upgrade, could be that the hard disk works continuously for some time and heats up, but the same happens if you cause *any* "sustained" hard disk activity, like - say - a whole disk defrag (if the filesystem is seriously fragmented) or creating a whole disk or volume backup/image.

Not to say that definitely it in your cases they were coincidences, but they actually were coincidences. ;)

If the machine is the same where another 2 hard disk failed in 2015, you may want to check the temperatures the hard disks reach[1], as often there is a correlation between hard disk failures and their (high) operating temperatures, but again it is little more than a statistical correlation, hard disks largely tend to fail "suddenly" for "unknown" and "random" reasons (in 99.99% of the cases noone spends the huge amount of money needed to examone a failed disk, and even if the disk is actually examined to attempt to recover data, rarely the actual cause is investigated and a definite reason why found).

jaclaz

[1] in some cases adding a fan bringing some "fresh" air to the drives bays is a good idea

I am trying to fix a dead Seagate 7200.11 drive using Nokia CA-42 cable. The drive shows up as busy in MHDD, so I suspect the firmware bug is the issue.

Unfortunately, following the guides has not worked,, because the cable is different. It is not recognized by a computer without a phone connected. Using a VU all the cables show close to 0v. Further, the front end of the cable is covered and upon removing the covering material, no markings which pin is which.

I read the following post in a other forum, and I believe the cable colors are the same, so this solves part of the issue:

my "genuine" nokia CA-42 cable has VID&0421_PID&0802 and is instanteously recognized by nokia pc-suite as a CA-42 cable.

i bought a few of them for only €5.90 each s&h included. they have 5 colored wires + blank & shielding:
GROUND -> BLACK pin 8
RX -> BLUE pin 6
TX -> WHITE pin 7
VCC -> RED pin 4
i didn't connect yellow ( pin 3 ), blank and shielding.
i dissected one connector completely, and verified all connections. pin 3 will have meaning for a nokia phone, but not for our purposes

i put genuine between quotes, because i believe it is a 100% cheap chinese clone cable. i thought it was a defective cable too, until i connected it to a phone and discovered that this particular cable needed power from the phone. electronically that isn't bad. the voltage of the connected equipment is now always in balance with the level of the tx and rx levelshifter, so no danger of frying these ports.

i know people who also bought CA-42 cables in order to duplicate an other cable of me ( to my central heating boiler ) who also had to power the cable from the equipment instead of the usb connector, and they bought their cable from an other source and it looked different.

if your goal now is to determine whether your cable is defective, you can either find someone with a nokia phone, or apply 3V3 to pin 4 and ground to pin 8 ( in my cable they are protruding ) and look whether your cable becomes visible in devicemanager, or return it and buy a cheap one on the internet.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=539928

So the cable needs an additional power source.

Question: How do I connect the cables? Put + end of the 3.3V battery to pin 4, the minus end of the battery to ground, and ALSO the ground of the HDD to the minus end of the battery?

Question 2: Is the HyperTeriminal of windows 10 sufficient to complete the task? Using the terminal with no cable connected yet I am unable to write anything on the console.

Tony111 :),

it is like from day #1 of this comedy (drama), i.e. 2009 (i.e. more than 10 years) that EVERYWHERE it is written:

DO NOT use a Nokia C-42 cable UNLESS you know what you are doing , there are a zillion versions of real and fake CA-42 cables some working, some not, EVERYONE with differently coloured cable, in ANY CASE NEVER trust colours of the cables to identify.

The answer to question #1 is (and has always been):

DO NOT use a CA-42 cable, but rather a known, documented serial adapter, if you really-really have no ways to procure one AND have a (supposed) NOKIA CA-42 cable handy you need to identify the wires properly (and even if you do that properly, it doesn't mean i will work)

Please go (several times if needed) through:

and:

The ONLY proper method to identify cables is (was) here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20100223072633/http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Use_a_Nokia_Serial_Cable_on_an_ARM9_Linkstation

if you wish to follow this road, use that method (and that method only).

The answer to question #2 (which is present in BOTH the Read-Me-FIrst and in the FDA's linked to above and that you should already be familiar with, please check, double check anf triple check what is in there about "loopback", is:

It depends, no way to know.

Using an XP is known to be working.

Using a 7 (and Putty) is known to be working.

Using 10 may or may not work and Putty might be needed or it might be not.

jaclaz