Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Gradius2

The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

It is difficult to say.

The issue with letting the "revived" device be "autodetected" is the risk that the automatic repair provisions (chkdsk via autochk or similar) may make things worse (it doesn't normally happen :), but you never know :dubbio:).

As a matter of fact, presuming that the volume was NTFS formatted, it is not like there are that many ways (besides CHKDSK) to repair the filesystem, but it is always preferrable to have a RAW copy before letting the CHKDSK run, and in any case it is normally a good idea to run it in stages, the first time without the /F parameter, just to check what it says without (almost) writing anything to the volume.

To make a RAW image you need (besides a disk with a volume with enough capacity to hold the whole disk size and with a suitable filesystem such as NTFS or EXT2/3/4, etc.) *any* dd-like tool, see:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Applications_GUI_Multimedia/How_To_Do_Eveything_With_DD

since here you are dealing with a possibly damaged/unresponsive disk, it would make sense to use a dedicated program such as (Linux) dd_rescue:

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

which - mind you - is not ddrescue:

http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

Under Windows for making the image (or chunks of it) DataRescueDD:

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/v3/drdd.htm

is usually advised, otherwise I would personally go for DMDE (while this is a "full" data recovery too that implies some understanding of the matter the imaging part is simple enough for the common user):

http://dmde.com/

that has also a command line Linux version (which I never personally tested and that most probably is complex in usage).

jaclaz

Hi,

i have got a Seagate Barracuda 3000GB (ST3000DM001) which died the other day, and since i recovered some bricked routers via serial port, i hoped this also works for my hdd.
there is no clicking or anything, just not available for the bios.

is there a pdf or something where the pictures of the first post are still there?

greets

Ok news here, i managed to get a serial cable attached and this is the output, when i plug in the power-cable:

Boot 0x40M
 Spin Up
 FAIL  Servo Op=0100 Resp=0003
 0100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
 ResponseFrame 1F40 0000 0000 7FC0 0008 0000 0000 0000 FBE7 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 8F45 85CC D27D 877D B67C 2D32 975C FB57 7B47 5F5A 0000 007F 0004 0000 FFF7 0004 0000
 FAIL  Servo Op=0100 Resp=0003
 0100 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000
 ResponseFrame 2AC0 0000 0000 7FC0 0008 0000 0000 0000 FBE7 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 8F45 85CC D27D 877D B67C 2D32 975C FB57 7B47 5F5A 0000 007F 0004 0000 FFF7 0004 0000

so, there is no help for my hdd is there?

Edited by NoBuggingPlz

It seems like your case has nothing to do with the specific failure(s)  discussed in this thread,

You are seemingly the unlucky owner of one of the worst hard disks of all times :w00t::ph34r: :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST3000DM001

reportedly those drives simply fail, after some time, in the highest percentages ever recorded. :(

These failures can - in some cases only - be repaired by professionals, no  DIY available,

jaclaz

hi to all

i need help for 

Level 7 'I': Rev 0011.0001, Overlay, DisplayModifyAdaptiveParm, I,[GroupId]

Level 2 'I': Rev 0011.0001, Overlay, DisplayModifyAdaptiveParm, I,[GroupId]

please few words, how to use this CAPITAL I, command at LEVEL 2 or LEVEL 7

PLEASE

45 minutes ago, salim123 said:

hi to all

i need help for 

Level 7 'I': Rev 0011.0001, Overlay, DisplayModifyAdaptiveParm, I,[GroupId]

Level 2 'I': Rev 0011.0001, Overlay, DisplayModifyAdaptiveParm, I,[GroupId]

please few words, how to use this CAPITAL I, command at LEVEL 2 or LEVEL 7

PLEASE

TOTALLY UNRELATED to this thread :w00t::ph34r:

(that is about a specific way to hopefully solve a very specific problem with a specific model of disk drive). 

You won' t get the help you are looking for here.

We simply have NO idea whatsoever about what you are asking,

Try asking for support here:

http://malthus.mooo.com/index.php?

or here:

http://forum.hddguru.com/

jaclaz

Happy new year!

I got a STM3500320AS drive that seems to have this exact BSY problem. It seems to receive power and doesn't make any loud noises, but isn't recognized by Windows nor the BIOS. I don' know much about soldering and was wondering if a USB-Serial cable like the ones in the following links would do the trick in order to access the HD via HyperTerminal:

Ali Express

Local reseller

Also, it seems the images in the first post are broken. I need to know where should I connect each plug lol Is there any updated tutorial that maybe requires less equipment? Thanks.

Edited by stormdragon

Both would do nicely :).

Use as reference NOT the first post of this thread, but rather the CarterinCanada's guide:

After having duly read/understood the:

AND the:

The last two explain - among other things - why the adapters/converters you found are OK.

jaclaz

I'm back to post my sucessful story :)

It took a while for the USB-TTL cable to arrive, and after that I still had to wait til I had few work to do. These past two weeks were very busy for me. Anyway, I decided to use an old Dell computer at work to do the procedure, as it had WIndows XP and Hyperterminal. The program immediately recognized the HD, the card trick worked fine, nothing fried when I removed and reinserted the power cord into the HD, and I was able to recover all my data.

Fun fact: The PC couldn't recognize the HD after I did the procedure  because that specific SATA port was disabled in the BIOS lol freaked out for a sec, but after that was sorted out, I was immediately able to back up everything from the HD.

Thank you jaclaz for helping people with this problem for almost a decade now. I'm a happy man

P_20180209_190340_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Edited by stormdragon

7 hours ago, stormdragon said:

I'm back to post my sucessful story :)

It took a while for the USB-TTL cable to arrive, and after that I still had to wait til I had few work to do. These past two weeks were very busy for me. Anyway, I decided to use an old Dell computer at work to do the procedure, as it had WIndows XP and Hyperterminal. The program immediately recognized the HD, the card trick worked fine, nothing fried when I removed and reinserted the power cord into the HD, and I was able to recover all my data.

Good :).

Fun fact: The PC couldn't recognize the HD after I did the procedure  because that specific SATA port was disabled in the BIOS lol freaked out for a sec, but after that was sorted out, I was immediately able to back up everything from the HD.

The DON'T PANIC (in large, friendly letters) is not so casual ;), there is a huge emotional component in doing this kind of repairs (besides steady hands also a not-so-faint heart is needed).

Thank you jaclaz for helping people with this problem for almost a decade now. I'm a happy man

Yet another happy bunny in the basket :thumbup:

jaclaz

Still a problem in 2018! A family member had a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB ST3500320AS drive in an external USB caddy, on firmware SD81, which had a bunch of old family photos on it, with no backup. One morning recently, it disappeared after being turned off and back on again. He asked me if I could do anything with it. I connected it directly via SATA to my PC, and it failed to POST on the BIOS screen, despite sounding like it was spinning up okay, which I thought odd. After some searching, I found this thread (and a few others, and youtube videos), which helped diagnose this as the BSY problem. I used a Silicon Labs CP2102 USB to TTL serial module to unbrick it, rather than the Nokia lead (couldn't find one!). I had problems with serial software; I was using Windows 7, so Hyperterminal isn't installed. I tried using Putty, but it wouldn't connect, leaving me scratching my head for a couple of hours, wondering if something else was wrong with the drive, or if I'd hooked up the USB to TTL wrong. I ended up downloading a trial version of Hyperterminal from hilgraeve.com, and that connected straight away! Following the instructions from the first post, I unbricked the drive, and it sprang back to life, mounted fine and I copied off all the data to multiple other drives.

The family member doesn’t trust the drive any more, naturally! So he left the drive with me. Knowing that if I used the drive it would eventually brick again, I decided to update the firmware to SD1A from http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/207951en?language=en-gb . The .exe version of the updater wouldn’t work on this drive. I read elsewhere that the BIOS SATA mode had to be set to Legacy or IDE, rather than AHCI, but that didn't help with the .exe version. I couldn't find any software that would convert the .iso version of the firmware updater to a bootable USB stick, so I had to dig out a USB CD drive, burn the .iso version of the firmware to a blank CD (found in my loft! Haven’t needed them for at least 5 years…) and booted from that, which did finally work and update the drive to SD1A. Contents of the drive survived the update with no problems.

Not sure I really trust this drive either... but thanks for the help and voyage of discovery!

30 minutes ago, Ginjaian said:

... Following the instructions from the first post, I unbricked the drive, and it sprang back to life, mounted fine and I copied off all the data to multiple other drives.

Not sure I really trust this drive either... but thanks for the help and voyage of discovery!

Good news. :)

But rest assured, with the upgraded software it won't brick anymore and will last like *any other* disk drive, i.e. an unknown and completely random number of years, months, days or hours :w00t: :ph34r:.

The original issue was only a "software/firmware" defect, once that has been solved through the update the disk drive in itself is not worse (nor better) than any other drive.

Being a USB caddy, most probably the disk was very rarely powered up (hence it didn't brick earlier) so it should have also very few hours of service,

jaclaz

Hello everyone,

my drive is a ST3500320AS with SD15 firmware which had the busy state issue and was someday not recognized by the BIOS anymore. I found this thread and was quite confident that this would be an easy fix. I hooked the drive up to my 3.3V TTL to USB cable and executed the commands. Everything worked fine as far as I could tell and the drive returned:

IMG_0531.JPG.57565b1f1db93e0ee53b9059ab6cb1bc.JPG

The only thing I found odd is that it prompted this line almost instantly as I expected it to take a minute or so.

After the procedure the drive is again recognized by the BIOS but other than that every software I tried to access or communicate with this drive behave like this is some kind of alien device. They hang or do weird stuff. The best info about the drive I get is from Ubuntu:

732266176_Screenshotfrom2018-08-3016-13-40.png.7875a9d0d1812851d9b874773af82f28.png

But that's it, there is no way I can access the content. Every recovery program I tried on Windows crashes or hangs when trying to access the drive. I also tried to use Seagate's firmware update ISO but it just prompts:

Error: Specific model not found. ST3500320AS expected.

even though BIOS and Ubuntu recognize the drive. Any ideas? I tried a lot now and just don't know what else to do.

thanks in advance!

Alex

Edited by ufbafigawe

The delay in "user partition format successful" shouldn't be connected, It depends on cases. sometimes it is almost instant, sometimes it takes seconds, sometimes it takes minutes.

From the UBUNTU (that has somehow access to it) try dd_ing the first few sectors of the WHOLE disk (in your case (/dev/sdb) to a new file.

If the disk was originally partitioned in Windows XP or earlier, 100 sectors will be enough, if it was partitioned under Vista or later, you need 2100.

Now, if the dd command fails, then there is an issue with the disk, if it does produce a file let's see what's in it with a hex editor.

jaclaz

ahh that's a cool idea, thanks for your help! dd worked just fine. could well possibly be that the hdd was formatted with linux though. hex dumps attached

first2100.hex

first100.hex

edit: ahh ok you mean first 100 sectors not bytes. how do i find out how many bytes my sectors are?

edit2: ahh got it! 512bytes right?

edit3: files are to big for the forum: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bKQdiCrdc7UvYPH6JMlIK0X3Wv4MLGUO, https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iXABssls1_DvSygI9Ow2aTzagxQobRC1

Edited by ufbafigawe