P35 vs P45

Octopuss

There is not really much difference, however it is 65nm, supports PCIe 2.0, uses a little less power, and runs a little cooler. What is your current P35 motherboard? I wouldn't upgrade unless your current board isn't a very good P35 board.

Edited by RiderZen

There is not really much difference, however it is 65nm, supports PCIe 2.0, uses a little less power, and runs a little cooler. What is your current P35 motherboard? I wouldn't upgrade unless your current board isn't a very good P35 board.

The board in my signature does exactly the same ;)

I heard some rumors about the power consumption not being too shinily low as it would appear.

anyway

I got GigaByte EP35-DS4 and I love it - only am unsure about the onboard Realtek network adapter (getting some bsods lately when torrents upload at full speed for a few hours)

Same board I got. But no, it doesn't do the same: it doesn't have PCI-e 2.0. Not that you really need that yet... Similarly, your P35 was made using the 90nm process just like anyone else's, and doesn't offer the power savings (which are probably quite minimal, and mainly mean they get away with a smaller cooler on the chip -- costs savings for them).

P45 also brings DDR3 support (which is still too expensive, isn't used on all boards yet, provides little performance gain so far), support for 1600 FSB (which AFAIK only the QX9770 and QX9776 use), and a little nicer ICH10[R] over the ICH9[R] (hardly any difference).

I surely wouldn't spend $150+ to replace a perfectly good P35-based board.

Edited by crahak

Same board I got. But no, it doesn't do the same: it doesn't have PCI-e 2.0. Not that you really need that yet... Similarly, your P35 was made using the 90nm process just like anyone else's, and doesn't offer the power savings (which are probably quite minimal, and mainly mean they get away with a smaller cooler on the chip -- costs savings for them).

P45 also brings DDR3 support (which is still too expensive, isn't used on all boards yet, provides little performance gain so far), support for 1600 FSB (which AFAIK only the QX9770 and QX9776 use), and a little nicer ICH10[R] over the ICH9[R] (hardly any difference).

I surely wouldn't spend $150+ to replace a perfectly good P35-based board.

Agreed. My GA-EP45-DS4P does not have DDR3 but I don't want it anyway. The southbridges are just about identical, just the 65nm over 90nm. And with PCIe 2.0 you would only see a little benefit on a high end card but PCIe 1.0 x16 is plenty good enough ATM. With my board, when you run crossfire the x16 slots go to x8 but because it is gen 2 it is the same as two PCIE 1.0 x16 slots. So you may get a performance increase in crossfire, with say two HD 4850s or something over a P35 running crossfire.

Edited by RiderZen

• 2 months later...

Nope your motherboard is plenty good. As for the network issues make sure you have the latest drivers. I hate network problems cause there are so many advanced settings to do with networking/internet. My boards network controller is going great though.

so not even the 65nm technology and maybe? the ICH10R controller aren't worth it?

Depends on what you need, honestly. I doubt you'll see any real increase in performance just switching from P35 to P45, unless you also make sure you get a faster CPU (and perhaps faster memory). Since that sounds a lot like a system upgrade to me, it would probably be better to consider something that can run i7 instead if you're going that far. If you are just interested in going from a P35 to P45 with all else staying the same, I can't really see a great reason to do so.

Found a comparison chart at Intel, and there are more differences between their various IOH than I thought! There:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-022304.htm

Especially, have a look at the capability to use disks over 2TB! Few IOH by Intel can access them!

I hate companies like Microsoft and Intel. Disks exceeding 2TB were as foreseeable as year 2000, but they didn't take the necessary action. Nobody would notice when buying the product, and then customers will have to buy a newer one.

Just as Intel+Microsoft limit memory size or core numbers without technical reasons - except to make us pay again sooner.

May Allah shave off their moustache!

Especially, have a look at the capability to use disks over 2TB! Few IOH by Intel can access them!
Few would care any way, besides that, 2TB drives are still to come, it's a storage device limit not 2TB on the whole controller.