New wishlist (7.2.0+)

I need special "cleanup" commands.

For me cleanup-commands are command to delete shortcuts and move shortcuts or folders inside the startmenu.

I want to enable/disable this feature in wpi before starting the installation.

For example install of WinRAR:

===================================================================
=== Programmnummer: 23
=== Kategorie : Toolz
=== Programm : WinRAR 3.62
=== Größe : 12 MB
=== Standard : ja
=== Freeware : nein
=== Reihenfolge : 5
===================================================================
INSTALL: "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Toolz\WinRAR 3.62\wrar362d.exe" -s
INSTALL: "%ROOT%\Tools\7z.exe" x -y -o"%PROGRAMFILES%\WinRAR" "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Toolz\WinRAR 3.62\rarkey.rar"
CLEANUP: "%ROOT%\Tools\eMove.cmd" "WinRAR" "Toolz"

I can have more cleanup-commands but only need one for WinRAR.

I manage all my commands per application in a file named unattended_*.inf, parse it and create config.js.

The result for winrar looks like this:

prog[pn]=['WinRAR 3.62'];
uid[pn]=['PRG23'];
desc[pn]=['<div style="padding:5px;"><b style="white-space:nowrap;">kommerziell/Registrierung erforderlich</b><br/><table style="color:black;font-family:\'Courier New\', monospace;font-size:1em;border:none;"><tr><th align="left" nowrap><u>Registrierungungsdaten</u></th></tr><tr><td style="white-space:nowrap;">WinRAR 3.62 Serial: *</td></tr><tr><td style="white-space:nowrap;">* Um WinRAR zu registrieren, muss nur eine der Dateien rarkey.rar</td></tr><tr><td style="white-space:nowrap;">in das WinRAR-Verzeichnis entpackt werden</td></tr></table></div>'];
ordr[pn]=[23];
dflt[pn]=['yes'];
bit64[pn]=['no'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['Toolz'];
picf[pn]=['%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\wpi_image.png'];
picw[pn]=['128'];
pich[pn]=['128'];
textl[pn]=['Left'];
cmds[pn]=['"%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\wrar362d.exe" -s','"%ROOT%\\Tools\\7z.exe" x -y -o"%PROGRAMFILES%\\WinRAR" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\rarkey.rar"','"%ROOT%\\Tools\\parsecommands.cmd" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\unattended_150.inf"'];
pn++;

As you can see the cleanup-commands are executed by the script parsecommands (which parses the unattended*.inf again) as last command during install.

To enable/disable this feature I create a script setWPIenv.cmd at WPI-start where I store the state.

parsecommands.cmd start setWPIenv.cmd and checks if the cleanup-commands should be executed.

Maybe there is a way to integrate such cleanup-commands in WPI and enabled/disable them global in main-WPI-window.

Al

• 2 weeks later...

An option to hide command-line-windows would be very nice.

--> Their should be an option in option-wizard to set a default-value and there should be a button in install-window to set this value again and to show the hidden windows (maybe they need some user-input).

Little change for install-window

Instead of

command1 success

command2 failure

you can display

a status-image (running, install sucess, install failure) followed by the executed command line

If there was an error you can set a tooltip on the error-image to display the error-message.

I think this looks better and with a horizontal-scrollbar it is possible to see the complete command line.

Al

Edited by AlBundy33

Hi.

I would like to request a new feature.

The problem I encountered is described here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=123898

Basically,

I would like to have the ability to use the same iso file for unattended installation as well as manually launching wpi from the iso where LoadDesktopBeforeInstall=true.

Some suggestions for detecting whether the desktop is already loaded or not:

1. scan for running instance of explorer.exe

2. GetDesktopWindow Windows API call

Another suggestion that could meet this requirement is to add another parameter to WPI.hta that can dynamically set this configuration setting.

In this way, WPI.hta can run from both the CD\DVD (LoadDesktopBeforeInstall=false in useroptions.js and run without any command line parameters)

and from RunOnceEx (by maybe using a "/load_desktop_before_install=true" command line parameter)

Thank you very much! :)

Hi

first off to say wow what a wonderful program. brilliant and innovative. a bit late in my praise but better late than never. Ok my suggestion. I often re install win xp on many peoples computer and when i made my first fully unnattended dvd with windows and wpi it was fantastic however. i have set a few small programs to install from wpi once xp install is complete, then for each different computer for different people they all have different software needs. i have multiple copies of xp on my disk. could you have a feature that looks for the computer name and loads a different install profile for each automatically?

thanks

@engjcowi: That's what multiple Configurations are for.

Options -> General tab -> List of config choices

Enter some names: My Computer,Mom's Computer,Joe's Computer (commas, no spaces at commas)

Check Show mulitple defaults.

Config -> Details -> set as Default for global programs. Assign a Configuration for computer specific programs.

Before install, pick a config and it will check the specific programs automatically.

==============================

@AlBundy33: Not going to do that. Counter at bottom is good enough.

But I think that the lines with the name "command X" are not really usefull because currently they are used to display the exit-status of the command.

Instead of display

Applicationname
command1
command2

It would bebetter to display something like this

Applicationname
status_image the_command_to_execute
Another_Applicationname

Where always all commands of the current application should be displayed - with the status_image you can display if the are "running", "successfully exited", "exit with failure" or even wait to be executed.

Al

Edited by AlBundy33

Al, if you want the entire list of entries to be displayed first so you can scroll up/down, then start the actual install and change the images as it moves through, and show each commands command line, why?

1) Showing the command line has already been made into and option to hide it, so I doubt anyone would want it on each line and wouldn't want a horizontal scroll bar. I don't.

2) Why would I want to look ahead? The whole idea is to be unattended. If I'm going to sit there and watch it, I can see that it is moving and how many items remaining at bottom: 5/25.

3) What's not to get by seeing this:

Adobe Reader

Command 1...

That tells me it is installing that item and will tell me when done.

Show me any installer that shows you a list of files it's going to install before it does it. Not necessary.

4) There are no return codes that mean anything. It is either a success or not. If it gave me any details I would have done it originally.

5) It's not as easy as you think to update the lines. Especially when you throw in a reboot. It took me a while to get the listbox to auto-scroll. Remember, this is JavaScript, not C++, where the API code is well refined and automatic.

Kel is on the right way. :-)

--> the Sucess and failure after the command should not be displayed if icons are used.

With "return-codes" I meant only to display the return-status of the commands (success or not) - thats all.

Why not show the real commands instead of "command 1".

In an unattended environment it doesn't matter what is displayed - but if you have a look at the installer window it would be nice to see a more usefull information about the current command.

--> Maybe the commandline or the start-time or the execution time (new - start-time) or something else.

For example

You will get much more information if you display something like this

Microsoft Viewer 2007
success_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\wordview_de-de.exe" /quiet
success_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\WordViewer2003SP3-KB934736-FullFile-DEU.exe" /Q
success_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\office2003-KB934041-FullFile-DEU.exe" /Q
failure_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\PowerPointViewer.exe" /quiet
running_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\powerpointviewer2007sp1-kb937158-fullfile-de-de.exe" /quiet
waiting_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\visioviewer.exe" /quiet
waiting_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\visioviewer2007sp1-kb937160-fullfile-de-de.exe" /quiet
waiting_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\Microsoft Excel Viewer 2003 1.0.exe" /Q /C:"msiexec -i xlview.msi /passive /norestart /qb ADDLOCAL=ALL REBOOT=ReallySuppress"
waiting_icon "%ROOT%\Anwendungen\Microsoft\Microsoft Viewer 2007\ExcelViewer2003SP3-KB934737-FullFile-DEU.exe" /Q

instead of this

Microsoft Viewer 2007
Command1 success
Command2 success
Command3 success
Command4 failure
Command5

My idea was to display all commands of the current application (there is no need to see also the next app and der commands) to know where I am and how many commands are left for the current install.

If you can modifiy the list you can also remove the displayed commands of application that are done and set the success/failure-icon before the application-name.

--> so you have above the current applicaion only a list of installed application und below the current application the commands,

These are just ideas and nice-to-haves - WPI also runs without that really good. :-)

Sometimes it ist easyer, better and faster to work with a Editor in the config.js (Ex. Find and Replace)

For this is easyer to have each command in one line. (Comma replaced through CR&LF)

Example:

cmds[pn]=['"%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\wrar362d.exe" -s','"%ROOT%\\Tools\\7z.exe" x -y -o"%PROGRAMFILES%\\WinRAR" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\rarkey.rar"','"%ROOT%\\Tools\\parsecommands.cmd" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\unattended_150.inf"'];

better:

cmds[pn]=['"%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\wrar362d.exe" -s'
'"%ROOT%\\Tools\\7z.exe" x -y -o"%PROGRAMFILES%\\WinRAR" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\rarkey.rar"'
'"%ROOT%\\Tools\\parsecommands.cmd" "%ROOT%\\Anwendungen\\Toolz\\WinRAR 3.62\\unattended_150.inf"'];