KVM Switch

Nerwin

Alright, So I been wanting to get a KVM switch to switch between my File Server and my Computer for a while now.

And I think I am going to do it. But I may decided to not do it at all. It all depends

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...&Tpk=GCs22u

I really like that one

It looks good and has a really cool separate remote for it.

The only issue, is that I have a USB Mouse and a PS/2 Keyboard and I read some comments and they say it wont work and some say it works with adapter.

I'm thinking to get this adapter http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812107701 and hopefully that will work with he KVM switch, I mean it should.

So I don't know and I'm wondering what you guys think

I shoulden't notice much different in mouse speed right?

Edited by Nerwin

Alright, So I been wanting to get a KVM switch to switch between my File Server and my Computer for a while now.

If it's just a file server, then why not just leave it headless? Just remote in every once in a while using remote desktop, vnc, or whatever you like (tons of options here).

It looks good and has a really cool separate remote for it.

Looks mean nothing (if anything, it looks like a cheap toy to me). And I seriously wonder how much use most people would make out of a remote. Just how often you'd be switching to the file server in the first place? And why even take your hands off the keyboard then, to reach the remote (desktop clutter IMO), when every KVM has hotkeys? (usually, you double tap some key like scroll lock or such, then type a number for the port, then enter -- which keys exactly depend on the switch itself).

The only issue, is that I have a USB Mouse and a PS/2 Keyboard and I read some comments and they say it wont work and some say it works with adapter.

You need to look into it more. It's not just a matter of "will it work with my current keyboard/mouse?". What if you get a new keyboard next week or month? Would it be PS/2 or USB? What if it's wireless? Some of those wireless "combos" use only 1 "receiver" for both devices, and some KVMs don't like that. Some KVMs don't work too good with Logitech devices either (like an old 4 port PS/2 Belkin KVM I gave away, the scroll wheel wouldn't ever work, and it would go crazy every once in a while).

Then again, that KVM only has one VGA port (not DVI), so it's not exactly what I'd call modern or future proof. Cheap KVMs often have nasty ghosting problems at high video resolutions & high refresh rates too (it's analog...) No audio either, but then again I find analog audio useless (no spdif on any of them unfortunately).

I guess I wont get one then :( I don't look at it often.. I just thought it would be a cool thing to have on my desk, hehe. I guess I can take that off the list and replace with a card reader I need to get and a USB hub...

EDIT:

Hey what would you recondmend for a Card Reader and USB Hub?

Edited by Nerwin

Just for the record:

http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

Introduction

synergy: [noun] a mutually advantageous conjunction of distinct elements

Synergy lets you easily share a single mouse and keyboard between multiple computers with different operating systems, each with its own display, without special hardware. It's intended for users with multiple computers on their desk since each system uses its own monitor(s).

Redirecting the mouse and keyboard is as simple as moving the mouse off the edge of your screen. Synergy also merges the clipboards of all the systems into one, allowing cut-and-paste between systems. Furthermore, it synchronizes screen savers so they all start and stop together and, if screen locking is enabled, only one screen requires a password to unlock them all. Learn more about how it works.

Synergy is open source and released under the GNU Public License (GPL).

System Requirements

Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me (the Windows 95 family)

Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP (the Windows NT family)

Mac OS X 10.2 or higher

Unix

X Windows version 11 revision 4 or up

XTEST extension

(use "xdpyinfo | grep XTEST" to check for XTEST)

All systems must support TCP/IP networking.

jaclaz

Hey what would you recondmend for a Card Reader and USB Hub?

Depends what you're looking for (internal/external, what card formats is has to support. I just bought one of those card readers last week actually (don't need the ugly 3 1/2 -> 5 1/4 faceplate). But then again, there are plenty of others, who might have other stuff on them like eSATA (which sometimes don't actually work at all like on some ngear models) and USB (which I already have 6 of in front of my case) or even firewire.

Hub wise, no idea. It's been a lot of years since I bought one. Computers have so many USB ports these days... Between the motherboard ports, ports at the front of my case, and the extra 2 on a bracket, I have 12 USB ports available already, and most of the time I'm only using a couple. And plenty of other devices also have some built-in (e.g. my monitor and an old spare keyboard I got laying around).

Although it´s cheap, I use the IOGEAR GCS62 2-Port PS/2 KVM switch with built-in cables , if you have an USB mouse than get a second cheap mouse with an PS2 plug or use the adaptor that came with your mouse (if it came with that). By the way, this KVM switch doesn´t show any interference on the screen (It must be that almost 300 people made a positive review for something on Newegg :P).

Giving up DVI is indeed a point here, but there are some small and good while still relatively cheap KVMs out there, and if you find one I can tell that IOgear does its job well...

There's still some alright basic KVMs for cheap indeed. I had pretty good luck with ATEN myself (4 port, USB, probably $20 extra).

However, I'd just about kill for my dream KVM: 4 port, two dual-link DVI (must support two LCDs @ 2560x1600 for future-proofing), USB and spdif for audio. I wouldn't care if it costs $1000. It's easy to find the non-dual head no spdif kind though (seen them around $200). Oh well.

Thanks guys, After thinking about it... I don't really need a KVM Switch... I'll be getting a new desk soon (Producer desk) so I will have 2 computers for use, with separate mouse and keyboard. Thats my goal.

Instead I am going to get a Card Reader (external one, cause I am a photographer) and getting some Ram for my farther's laptop.

Thanks for the great info though!

• 2 weeks later...