Windows 9x and its potential future

Offler

Actually, the only thing it means to me is that eMule has some serious resource-usage issues, and programs that aren't very thoughtful about them (because Win9x is no longer a focus, like Firefox 2 and Acrobat 5) suffer more than the others.

... and programs that aren't very thoughtful about them ... suffer more than the others.
I would rather rephrase it to "... programs that aren't very thoughtful about them [resource-usage issues, i.e. inefficient programming] CRASH and HANG Win98 more than the others.

To the list I would also add Norton SystemWorks (but not Norton Disk Doctor standalone, which is excellent). My uninstall notes had the comment: "the system [Win98] seems much crisper without it". Symantec gave up Win98 long before Microsoft: NSW2006, out in 2005, did not support Win98 anymore. The more lines of code there are in a program, the more bugs it may have. This could explain why big fat, inefficient programs would cause eMule to crash more often.

Maybe just coincidence: Firefox v2.0.0.17 setup.exe: 5.908kB, Opera v9.60 setup.exe 4.922kB. When running Opera together with eMule, Win98 will usually not hang, in contrast to Firefox.

Edited by Multibooter

I run the current version of eMule. And adobe reader 6.0.6 (with my anti-nag patch). Nowadays I don't have any issues with either of them. But, at first, e-Mule kept crashing and freezing the system after less than 2h. Turns out that the problem was my board's BIOS poor implementation of ACPI. After I removed both ACPI and APM, I have had no more troubles whatever and have used e-Mule for as long as the files I have been downloading required for their download to complete, without any crashes. Then again, I never needed to let it go beyond 40h, up to now. But I do believe it can, if I ever need it to.

Edited by dencorso

After I removed both ACPI and APM, I have had no more troubles whatever and have used e-Mule for as long as the files I have been downloading required
Thanks dencorso, I'll check it out, maybe it helps to increase eMule uptime also with my hardware.

I have ACPI enabled on my Soyo SY6-VBA133 and have been running eMule (always the official version) for as long as 6 days in a row and would've let it run longer if it weren't for other applications that leak resources and force me to reboot. From my point of view, eMule is the most stable and well developed application I know, together with Total Commander and I've been following the project for many years too.

In this regard - and apologies for the off-topic - I'd be interested to know why can't it be compiled under Win98? I never had the curiosity to check the sources since I just recently got the hang of VC6 while playing with Miranda IM.