Hal.dll error - It just can't find the WINDOWS folder.

warlock554

Since my CD-ROM seems to be malfunctioning, I've made a bootable USB using the USB Multiboot 10 tool and an unattended XP version. After completing the txt install and attempting to continue with the GUI part of the setup, I get a 'corrupt or missing hal.dll' error. I tried everything: using just one partition, fixing the mbr, fixing the boot.ini, but without any success. There's no hardware issue as I can install linux just fine.

Please help. :ph34r::)

Edited by warlock554

The message system32\hal.dll missing means only that the WINDOWS folder cannot be found,

and is NOT on the drive where it was expected. There is no missing file in this case.

It is necessary to Boot all the time from the USB-drive and keep it connected until Logon.

Change your BIOS Boot Priority such that USB-stick is seen as First Harddisk.

Read Also FAQ-4 http://www.msfn.org/board/FAQs-t116766.html

Edited by wimb

Boot.ini points to HD 1. I set my second boot device to HD 1 (the USB being the first), tried again, but got the same error. :blink:

Tried again with a different version and different installer. No luck...

Edited by warlock554

warlock554, you need to read carefully FAQ #4.

If you did so, you should have posted your partition number as well, which is as important as the harddisk number. Windows folder matters as well.

There is no point to use different installers etc.

Better take a picture of this screen:

magicalsnap200811020108jv3.th.jpg

Does partitionN match what you have in boot.ini on USB disk?

In this example Windows was installed to partition2. Partition(1) is hidden. Boot.ini has ....rdisk(1)partition(2)\....

Did you boot again from USB after the Text mode part of Setup?

Edited by ilko_t

Ok, so here's my bios configuration:

dsc00066oq7.th.jpgthpix.gif

My partition configuration:

dsc00065yk0.th.jpg

And my boot.ini file:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=5

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT

And yes, I've booted again to start the GUI mode.

Edited by warlock554

Try deleting BOTH partitions on the hard disk while in Text mode and create 2 new ones.

Do NOT continue, but rather hit F3 and restart again in Text mode. Install XP in the first one of the newly created partitions.

In BIOS do you have a setting for hard disk mode AUTO, LARGE, LBA? Try changing it too.

Edited by ilko_t

I assume you are using a removable USB-stick which will be seen by BIOS as Harddisk (NOT as USB-HDD)

When you boot from USB-stick then normally USB-stick is HDD-0 and Local Harddisk is HDD-1

You have to Change for GUI Setup your BIOS Setting so that First Boot Device is HDD-0 (instead of USB-HDD)

which is in GUI mode your USB-stick, so that you boot via USB and

Windows folder will be found at HDD-1 by the setting of rdisk(1) in boot.ini on USB-stick

With your present BIOS Setting you are booting in GUI mode directly from HDD-1 which is

then your Local Harddisk. That does NOT work. You have to Boot via USB-stick which is HDD-0

Edited by wimb

Ok, I've changed the first boot device from USB-HDD to HDD-0. I redid the TXT part, booted again into USB, tried GUI mode... but without success. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Please excuse my noobiness. :)

Edited by warlock554

You can try my NEW technique using USB_XP_Setup package

Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

In this way you are first booting in 30 seconds with LiveXP from RAMDISK,

which is loaded in few seconds with LiveXP BootSDI.img file on Harddisk Drive C:

or in about 5 minutes from bootable USB-stick made with Make_USB.cmd

For Install of XP you all the time Boot as normal from your Local Harddisk Drive C:

so that you don't have these BIOS problems.

So there is no booting from USB-stick involved when actually installing XP.

The XP Source Folder must be on USB-stick or on Partition 1 of ANY Harddisk.

If this is NOT the case, then the program will propose to

Copy the XP Source folder to the Install Target Drive, usually C: (being usually partition 1).

Edited by wimb

Ok, I've changed the first boot device from USB-HDD to HDD-0. I redid the TXT part, booted again into USB, tried GUI mode... but without success. Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Please excuse my noobiness. :)

Did you try what I wrote you, post #8 ?

i've got the same hal.dll problem when entering the gui mode after textmode. I did everything like it is described in the how-to, also carfully paid attention to set the right boot-order, to manually choose the usb-drive when booting every time. i also created only one partition (ntfs) and it's everything ok with the boot.ini...

the only thing i discovered is that the bios (phoenix trustedcore) of my brandnew samsung nc-10 automatically detects the usb-stick as an usb-hdd and there is no possibility to set the hhd0- and hdd1-thing. I'm only able to change the boot order (so hdd befor usb-hdd?!). Is this the problem in combination with the boot.ini, like wimb described above #9 ?

Is there any possibility to fix it?

thx tobey

When in GUI mode the Windows folder is NOT found on the default location,

it can be handy to use a boot.ini with Multiple Entries for the GUI Mode.

For USB_MultiBoot_10 it would be like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=20
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Mode Setup XP + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Mode Setup XP + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Mode Setup XP + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Mode Setup XP + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT

where you can Manually Select the GUI mode Entry that is working for you.

Also it is important to remove before XP Setup from USB-stick

all other USB-drives like External Backup Harddisks and Cardreaders,

which could give unwanted shift in drive numbering.

Edited by wimb