Hal.dll error - It just can't find the WINDOWS folder.

warlock554

It still doesn't work for me. I got the same problem whole the time. I have already test to change the boot.ini with

[boot Loader]

Timeout=20

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 0 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 3" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2 - Part 1" /FASTDETECT

pls can you explain more details because I don't get it what you really mean.

It got the hal.dll error whole the time. But if I press

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 1 - Part 2" /FASTDETECT

it says that windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem......

plss helppp

It got the hal.dll error whole the time. But if I press

it says that windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem......

plss helppp

So there is another problem as well.

How was your XP Source Folder prepared ?

Did you use nLite ? What version of XP do you use ?

Is your XP Source on USB-Harddisk and that you forgot to adjust Option 0) ?

For Install of XP on a modern system with SATA Drives it is needed to use DPsBase.exe

for Integrating in your XPSOURCE BTS DriverPack Massstorage with TXT Mode Enabled.

In that case a lot of Extra RAID SCSI and SATA Drivers (about 120 extra) are Integrated which appear in the

XP Setup BootFolder $WIN_NT$.~BT on USB-Drive and can prevent a lot of XP Install Boot Problems.

First use RyanVM Integrator and then use DPsBase to Improve your XP-Source.

Supports the use of BTS DriverPacks located in OEM Folder on USB-Drive

http://driverpacks.net/DriverPacks/

As alternative you can try:

Install XP from USB AFTER Booting with PE from HDD or USB

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/?showtopic=5306

In this way you are insensitive to the hal.dll Error

Moreover, after booting with LiveXP into PE environment you are able to

use Disk Manager and can see what is the partitioning of your harddisk and

see which is the Active Partition e.g. the partition from which the computer will try to boot.

Also you can make then appropriate changes using Disk Manager or Acronis Disk Director available in LiveXP

Edited by wimb

• 4 weeks later...

OK I think I need some help with a non-standard problem.

My laptop will not work from the Built-in hard drive. So I have an empty bay (Thinkpad 42) So I have a hard drive in the Ultrabay (where the CD was) and am trying to make it bootable. I have created a bootable USB but when I get to the step where it does the install I have a problem that I believe is involved with the Boot.ini code:

C:\btsec\XPSTP.bs="1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Continue GUI Setup + Start XP from HD 2, use if installing on HD2" /FASTDETECT

c:\grldr="4. Start GRUB4DOS Menu - DOS FPY IMAGES + Linux + XP Rec Cons + Vista"

I need to bood from USB but then install onto the D drive - I think it would be:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(1)partition(1) ????

There is only one partition on the disk.

Thanks a lot.

BTW I am trying to resurrect this supposedly defunct machine for a friends son who can not afford a PC. It was in a corporate :"dead laptop" closet and I got it for free with no disk drives. I had a T43 with 2 drives and had hoped to just move the second hard drive to this machine.

As a test I have placed the C drive from the 43 which boots fine into the T42 second bay (with an empty first bay) and it tries to boot but it gets as far as "MUP.SYS" and then just dies so I figured that I must have some driver that does not work on the T42 - therefore I am trying to build a new boot drive using the T42 to make its own boot drive.

Does this make sense to you?

when I get to the step where it does the install I have a problem
Would be helpful if you mention what actually the problem is ;)

Do you see the boot menu? 1. Begin TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until Logon, 2. and 3. Continue with GUI Mode Setup Windows XP + Start XP from HD 1

What happens when you select 1? Does it start Text mode part of the setup? Does it complete Text mode?

Then what happens when you select "2 and 3"?

FYI- drive letters C, D etc. are given by windows and do not provide information about disks and partitioning. When describing similar problem use first hard disk/partition 2, second hard disk/partiton 1 etc. etc.

As a test I have placed the C drive from the 43 which boots fine into the T42 second bay (with an empty first bay) and it tries to boot but it gets as far as "MUP.SYS" and then just dies
Did you try Safe mode first?

You may also have a look at OffLineSysPrep which may help you transfer the existing Windows:

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=19397

Have it redetect HAL (Auto configuration) and inject Standart MS mass storage drivers (advanced-->install standard IDE drivers), tick "Complete OffLineSysPrep without running SysPrep" as well. Then make the first reboot in Safe mode.