KB957200 not installing

techtype

The new compatibility update KB957200 is failing to install. I suspect because I removed Windows Mail. Anybody else have any experience or advice?

same here, i removed windows mail, and few other stuffs, and had the same problem. Then i installed vista again, this time without removing anything but just disabled few uneeded services, and it worked fine

i had the same problem and got an error code associated with windows update. i searched windows help and it gave me this:

1. click start>run>services.msc

2. go to office source engine and set it to automatic (delayed start) and start the service.

3. install the update.

done

i had the same problem and got an error code associated with windows update. i searched windows help and it gave me this:

1. click start>run>services.msc

2. go to office source engine and set it to automatic (delayed start) and start the service.

3. install the update.

done

Yeah, I saw that and tried it --- no joy. But if it worked for you, I'll try it again with more persistence!

Edit: No, that does not work for me. It's Office 2007 anyway, while the error # refers to Office 2003.

Edited by techtype

The package can be extracted with this command:

expand -f:* Windows6.0-KB957200-x86.msu .

Then you can extract the .cab file with winrar. If you look at the contents (look at the xml-files) you will find that there are 4 files being updated:

werfaultsecure.exe (errorreportingfaults)

werfault.exe (errorreportingfaults)

faultrep.dll (errorreportingfaults)

wersvc.dll (feedback-service)

All related to the error reporting service, Which I removed. Mystery solved - no need for this patch!

The package can be extracted with this command:

expand -f:* Windows6.0-KB957200-x86.msu .

Then you can extract the .cab file with winrar. If you look at the contents (look at the xml-files) you will find that there are 4 files being updated:

werfaultsecure.exe (errorreportingfaults)

werfault.exe (errorreportingfaults)

faultrep.dll (errorreportingfaults)

wersvc.dll (feedback-service)

All related to the error reporting service, Which I removed. Mystery solved - no need for this patch!

Thanks for the information. I also removed that service and because of that I'm having the same problem. I'll just hide the update and no problem.

Cheers ;)