Questions about banned members

Aloha

I'm surprised to see some people here banned although they are good members. And when searching and reading their last posts, I can't find anything wrong. Now I would like to ask some questions and hope to have the reply.

1. If members are banned, should they be told the reasons why?

2. Do the forum staff think other members should know such reasons?

3. Does it take a mod or admin a lot of time to give some words explaining the ban?

4. Who can ban a member, a mod or an admin? (This question just because of curiosity!)

If I can know the forum rules a little better, I can avoid such a bad situation in the future. Belonging to the Banned Group is something I don't want at all!

Thanks in advance for any reply!

In general, a user is not banned unless they violate the terms of the forum rules. Banned users are generally either spamming, promoting, discussing, or providing cracks/warez/etc, or have violated one of the other rules of the boards. Unless someone violates an auto-ban rule (like discussing/providing warez, for instance), warnings are given before a ban would be considered.

posts violating the rules in any way are not viewable for guests and members (they have been moved to another place), thats why you cant find the "bad" posts anymore. Long term members are not banned from one second on the other... specially those people get more than one warning before he/she gets banned.

Cluberti and Martin L, thank you both for the replies although they don't answer my questions very well. It's OK however.

But now it generates another question, about the so-called "auto-ban rule". Does it mean that there is a program or a script which will automatically ban members without the interference of a mod or admin? Sometimes I don't understand English very well so I have to ask again.

Thanks if you have time to answer this question too.

I'm glad that the answer is "No". It would be terrible if I were banned by such an auto-ban program. And it would be more terrible if the ban was made by a silly glitch!

Jcarle, thanks for the reply. I don't have any more questions.

Well, the OP may not have any more questions, but I have one of my own.

Looking again at his first post, first sentence:

I'm surprised to see some people here banned although they are good members. ...
Then, in another tab, putting up any post by this user and looking not at the contents of the post, but at the left-hand side, you will see why the OP has rather precisely and correctly phrased things in the present tense.

Look not at the Group itself but at the top line (the custom profile info). See what it says?

It seems to me that a joke in one culture has badly back-fired in another. Don't you think this is confusing?

• 4 weeks later...

No, I do not find it confusing. It's in the personal message dialog area, not the member group area, and as such it's just a joke (and a funny one at that). Just like my personal message in that location says "Gustatus Similis Pullus". If you know any Latin, it's not confusing either.

Friend of mine (who also recommended these forums to me) told me he got banned some time ago and despite numerous attempts to get in touch with the mods/admins to possibly solve the situation, he never received a single word of response. While I can't comment on that partricular thing at all cause I don't know anything about it, I don't think the OP's idea is bad - at least people should know why...

I don't think it was without reason, the point is (from what he told me) no feedback when he tried to get some... Don't think it matters now as it's been quite a while and he probably gave up on registration and just browses the forums unregistered from time to time.

Well, the OP may not have any more questions, but I have one of my own.

Looking again at his first post, first sentence:

I'm surprised to see some people here banned although they are good members. ...
Then, in another tab, putting up any post by this user and looking not at the contents of the post, but at the left-hand side, you will see why the OP has rather precisely and correctly phrased things in the present tense.

Look not at the Group itself but at the top line (the custom profile info). See what it says?

It seems to me that a joke in one culture has badly back-fired in another. Don't you think this is confusing?

Just to clarify (since the text could be confusing), ricktendo is *not* banned.

Its funny to a point, especially if you are in a tight community, but in the end revealing ban reasons just lead to flame wars and more bannings, threads getting locked and everything else.

You don't need it here. The last thing you need here are factions and forum wars.