new fileset

fdv

Let's see...

1. "Then the next observation i've done, is that i've now gotten all those unregisterable files to register by running an inf which used the same registering-method as used in mplayer2.inf"

I added this to my MPCODECS.INF file, many thanks

2. HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder

The HKLM is created by HIVESFT.INF. No specific INF creates the HKCU key. So, I have added it to HIVEDEF.INF. Not sure what's going on with this key, but it's no effort to create it, so I added it.

3. "I can't remember if it was the same with fileset-8e"

;-) I can't either. I tried at some point last year to pull out all of the media stuff from the main install files so that if someone wanted a codec-free Windows installation, stripped down as much as possible for, say, file storage, they could do it. In doing so, as TommyP notes, I have jumbled a very sensitive order of things, hence the odd codec behavior with registering files, etc.

4. "Btw, from reading the fileset-changelog, then it states that hivesft.inf in set-7 includes "fixed timezone-information" untill Jan '08, but does that then mean that the timezone update on Tommy's list isn't needed then?"

Correct, that update is not needed. It doesn't hurt anything, though, so I don't really tell people not to use an update in that case. I only want people to avoid updates that actually make the computer slower, like the update that adds an ActiveX patroller thread whenever the shell is running, which is totally unnecessary.

Thanks for all of your input on this! Time for a revised set 8 I guess

@FDV

Thanks alot, my friend!

I've just tested set-8h and all files registered fine from mpcodecs.inf! (acelpdec.ax isn't set to registering from that inf, though, but i don't know if that's on purposse or not... )

About the regkey you added to hivedef.inf:

• HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder...

I'm sorry, and i should have explained it better, but what i meant was that Tomcat's HFNetChk script that's available from the HFSLIP site's support section, needs to check a specific value under that regkey you added to hivedef.inf, and that value is:

• "Presentation LCID"=dword:00000409

Which defines the language(1033 on US), and without this value, then that regkey alone from hivedef.inf isn't helping...

However, adding that regkey+value to hivedef.inf isn't really needed afterall, since the key+value is automatically generated by Windows after a little time anyway, and also since if the key+value isn't available when running the HFNetChk script, then the script will report on the screen that the OS language couldn't be identified, and that a text file named lang.txt should be made with the language code(1033), and then to rerun the script, and then it works.

So i would suggest to either remove that regkey from hivedef.inf, or to keep it while also adding that extra value to it...

Sorry again for not explaing that better the first time, mate!

Again, thanks alot for your work, man; it's much apprecited!

Edited by Martin H

Which one would work best?

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder","Presentation LCID",0x00010001,09,04,00,00

or

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder","Presentation LCID",0x00010001,"409"

or

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Controls Folder","Presentation LCID",0x00010001,"00000409"

I am adding the top one but maybe you'll know before I try it.

Thanks Martin

A bit more basic presumably. I borrowed an old Visual C++ 6.0 cd and installed that on a clean VirtualBox install. After installation WFP kicks in. As you can see i mounted the HFSLIPCD but it's not accepted. Is it searching for the cd key here? Nice "Insert your now." message BTW.

Your 8g fileset also works great with latest HFs on an NLD install. It had under Display Props, Background both (Geen) and (None) with (None) having the bitmap icon. This disappeared after a second reboot, not counting the reboots during install. Much like %ASTERISK%.

post-203993-1233147215_thumb.png

As you can see i mounted the HFSLIPCD but it's not accepted. Is it searching for the cd key here? Nice "Insert your now." message BTW.

You know, to be honest, it's a message I have always dismissed. I never knew that it didn't work.

Not sure what's going on. I'll have to check into it. I'll have to do a regular install and monitor the file replacement with some tools to see what's being called.

@FDV

Adding acelpdec.ax to RegisterDlls worked the last time i tried it a few days ago, but since it in the past have failed many times from there, then i have just again tested adding it to registerocxs instead, which in my last several tests always has worked, and it also worked fine this time, so if you could please add acelpdec.ax to registerocxs in mpcodecs.inf in your next fileset, then i would appreciate it...

[registerocxs]

"%11%\mpg2splt.ax"

"%11%\ivfsrc.ax"

"%11%\msdxm.ocx"

"%11%\msdxmlc.dll"

"%11%\strmdll.dll"

"%11%\acelpdec.ax"

Thanks in advance, mate!

CU, Martin.

A bit more basic presumably. I borrowed an old Visual C++ 6.0 cd and installed that on a clean VirtualBox install. After installation WFP kicks in. As you can see i mounted the HFSLIPCD but it's not accepted. Is it searching for the cd key here? Nice "Insert your now." message BTW.

Your 8g fileset also works great with latest HFs on an NLD install. It had under Display Props, Background both (Geen) and (None) with (None) having the bitmap icon. This disappeared after a second reboot, not counting the reboots during install. Much like %ASTERISK%.

I have fixed this.

Sorry about this! One of the ways I got the message cleaned up was to set the SFC path, and the install path, as the same. The lines below make it work now.

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SfcQuota",0x00010001,ff,ff,ff,ff

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","SFCDllCacheDir",,"e:"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File Protection","SFCDllCacheDir",,"e:"

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup","SourcePath",,"e:"

Change "e" to whatever your CD-ROM path is. Mine now says "Insert your Windows 2000 CD" and recognizes the CD.

This is fixed in the fileset now along with Martin's "%11%\acelpdec.ax"

thanks

OK, a new iso with the four reg entries as in previous post, except I use d:. This is of course checked on the actual installation (regedit).

"When WFP kicks in" indeed the message is "Insert your Windows 2000 CD", I let the VCPP installation finish.

Then I unmount (Devices menu) VCPP.iso and mount HFSLIPCD. Clicking Retry gives "Insert your  now." again.

I'm doing something wrong?

EDIT: Just to see I didn't destroy anything I let setup create two partitions and use the HIVESFT provided. No, sorry, it's "Insert your  now." right after mounting the HFSLIP iso. Followed by 'Are you sure... unrecognized versions?'

EDIT2: I forgot: in both cases 'sfc /scannow' simply finishes the scan without complaining about anything 'unrecognized'.

Edited by Brabant

@FDV:

Late 2008 you posted a fileset for XP.

Yesterday I gave it a try.

Slipstreamed with HFSlip -> HFSLIP_Log.txt

During installation 2 missing files: sapihlp.cpl and sqlsoldb.chm .

I skipped them because they seemed not important (they were on the CD and not corrupt).

The problem is: None of the services set to automatic are started when logging in.

Can this be solved or is the fileset not valid anymore?

grtz. Chefken.

Edited by chefken

"When WFP kicks in" indeed the message is "Insert your Windows 2000 CD", I let the VCPP installation finish.

I'm not clear on what you are triggering this event with -- which files are you replacing?

I don't understand why the "CD" goes away. I am stumped on this one. I set SFCQuota to ffffffff to save all files but somehow I guess it's not happening. I will check into this more but I can't promise a solution because "on paper," SFC should work fine...

which files are you replacing?

I'll try to find that out:

Using procmon with filters set as posted by hadouken at neowin.

1. "Detail" "contains" "Delete: True" (type it without quotes)

2. "Operation" "is" "SetDispositionInformationFile" (select from the drop down box)

The entry selected (grey) is where wfp pops up. Not much happening it seems.

post-203993-1234948870_thumb.png

Edited by Brabant

Did the previous post help at all? Do you want me to try something else?

Martin, maybe you can help me with the following.

Newer Opera versions seem to remember too much. See the screenie. It makes me have to 'backspace' three or four times just to go back one page. Is there a solution to this?

Just noticed these advertisements show up in History like http://bdv.bidvertiser.com/bidvertiser.dbm...4130&..blah blah. I don't want these as 'visited urls'.

And I was wondering why addresses, only typed in a few weeks ago, weren't autocompleted anymore.

post-203993-1235376677_thumb.png

Edited by Brabant

Did the previous post help at all? Do you want me to try something else?

i know that procmon was supposed to replace filemon but is it possible to run filemon at the same time to see what files are being manipulated?

Martin, maybe you can help me with the following.

Newer Opera versions seem to remember too much.

This shld be a separate thread but if you discover Opera is writing reg entries as opposed to updating some file, let me know, and I can write them in INF format and add them to MRU_KILL.INF.