Folders & Files to delete after nLited XP installation is done.

Azelza

Hello,

There's a set of folders and files that can be nuked out after a minimal nLited XP SP3 installation has completed.

This list isn't about trying to make XP as close-to-nothing as possible, but rather it's a reasonable set of useless stuff which shouldn't be needed by most anybody.

nLite just doesn't remove some things which are even downright obsolete, like "java"

Not that they do much or take up much space, but the real point here is to have a cleaner filesystem layout so we can better understand what's really relevant and still remains...

I'll update this post as new stuff is found.

The following folders and files can be removed, with a justification for each:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\IO.SYS

0 bytes and useless. Clutters up the root.

C:\MSDOS.SYS

0 bytes and useless.

C:\Program Files\ComPlus Applications\

Empty. You likely will never have one of these.

C:\Windows\java\

Microsoft's implementation of java isn't even included anymore. This is a remnant from when it was.

C:\Windows\mui\

Unnecessary for the system itself, only contains an multilingual UI installer exe inside.

C:\Windows\addins\

Empty.

C:\Windows\Config\

Empty. Stores config files for 16-bit windows components. Perhaps used by some yamaha soft-synthesizer.

C:\Windows\AppPatch\

Empty if you've removed the app compatibility updates.

C:\Windows\ime\

Empty.

C:\Windows\msapps\

Empty.

C:\Windows\PeerNet\

Empty.

C:\Windows\setupact.log

C:\Windows\setupapi.log

C:\Windows\setuperr.log

C:\Windows\setuplog.log

C:\Windows\setuplog.txt

C:\Windows\Sti_Trace.log

C:\Windows\regopt.log

C:\Windows\sessmgr.setup.log

C:\Windows\SET3.tmp

C:\Windows\tsoc.log

C:\Windows\wmsetup.log

C:\Windows\ocgen.log

C:\Windows\comsetup.log

Various log files from the XP Setup / installation process, can be nuked.

C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna\

Empty remnant if you've disabled themes.

C:\Windows\system32\2052

C:\Windows\system32\3076

C:\Windows\system32\1025

C:\Windows\system32\1028

C:\Windows\system32\1031

C:\Windows\system32\1033

C:\Windows\system32\1037

C:\Windows\system32\1041

C:\Windows\system32\1042

C:\Windows\system32\1054

Various localization folders which are all empty. Even 1033. I use default english windows and these are all empty. SP3 doesn't seem to use these anymore.

C:\Windows\system32\3com_dmi\

Empty folder. ..I thought I removed those ethernet drivers.

C:\Windows\system32\dhcp\

Empty. Only used if your box is setup as a DHCP server.

C:\Windows\system32\wins\

Empty. NetBIOS name service..

C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\

Flash OCX. I can install flash myself, thankyou.

C:\Windows\TASKMAN.EXE

Ancient, useless.

C:\Windows\twunk_16.exe

With 16-bit support removed, this isn't even a "valid win32 application"

C:\Windows\winhelp.exe

16-bit app for viewing help files in 16-bit programs. "winhelp.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

C:\Windows\system32\command.com

Perhaps useful if you have floppy drive and format disks?

C:\Windows\system32\mplay32.exe

Dangerous old media player. All that happens when you run it is it notices your registry is messed and tries to "fix things." Remove it.

C:\Windows\system32\write.exe

win3.1 compatibility exe that only starts up wordpad.

C:\Windows\system32\routemon.exe

This app's purpose is to tell you that it's obsolete.

C:\Windows\system32\osuninst.exe

Need to run this to uninstall windows? Ie, downgrade from XP back to Win95. Well, it only tells you that your registry is corrupt. Why on earth hasn't nLite managed to remove things like this?

C:\Windows\system32\cliconfig.exe

C:\Windows\system32\cliconfig.dll

SQL server configuration tool.

C:\Windows\system32\netsetup.exe

An installer to copy to your Win98 or Win95 box so it can network with XP. Does nothing on XP. (why's this in system32 anyways!?)

C:\Windows\system32\pentnt.exe

Pentium Floating Point Divide Error Utility. Hopefully you can do-without.

C:\Windows\system32\grpconv.exe

"It is used to convert Windows 3.1 groups to folders when upgrading to Windows 95 or later."

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\disdn\

Empty folder, it once contained .sys files for ISDN adapters.

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.0.0_x-ww_8d353f13\

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_1382d70a\

C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.0.0_x-ww_2726e76a\

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.SystemCompatible_6595b64144ccf1df_5.1.0.0_x-ww_fc342b0b.Manifest

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.SystemCompatible_6595b64144ccf1df_5.1.0.0_x-ww_fc342b0b.cat

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.0.0_x-ww_8d353f13.Manifest

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.0.0_x-ww_8d353f13.cat

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.0.0_x-ww_2726e76a.Manifest

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.CPlusPlusRuntime_6595b64144ccf1df_7.0.0.0_x-ww_2726e76a.cat

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_1382d70a.Manifest

C:\Windows\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.0.0_x-ww_1382d70a.cat

Old sidebysides and their manifests which were replaced by newer versions in SP3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

..That's all for now!

There's various more obsolete and useless things in there -- help me find them!

nLite needs a "Oldware & Other tiny useless things" removable component section.

nLite's also missing the "clear empty folders for removed components" option.

Please post any other empty/unused folder locations and harmless+removable files you can find. Let's keep this thread going!

Also, if I'm wrong in any of the things listed here please let us know.

- Azelza

Edited by Azelza

Some cleaningtools provide the option :

remove empty folders

It´s not applicable to nlite, I think.

(or there will be another reboot)

The problem is windowsbased.

Even if SFC and WFP are switched off, you can´t simply remove systemfolders.

Your list is pretty nice for a really slimmeddown XP.

But :

You won´t be able to play japanese games (IME/ applocale) or use older (16bit) software.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

A while ago I posted a little cmd tool that deleted empty folders recursively.

I forget the name of the programme, however I'm sure you will be able to find it online, or possibly even by searching these forums (less likely...lol!)

Cheers,

James

x

James,

Please don't misunderstand this post.

I do not want to go around indiscriminately deleting whatever folder is empty without any care or concern for whether or not Windows needs the folder.

There are a number of empty folders which are needed by Windows or keep some structure that may be important in the future.

This thread is specifically about folders left over from removed components and will never be needed again, and also junk/obsolete files which are are safe to remove from Windows\ after an nLited XP has completed.

For example, stuff that nLite should removed but doesn't, like twunk_16, ancient exe's in C:\Windows\system32, etc.

Edited by Azelza

GrofLuigi,

It's not a matter of opinion here since we're going under the assumption of the baseline standard of a bare Minimal nLited XP. -- What to remove isn't the issue, everything is removed for the sake of this post. And so we come only to fact: Which folders and files are factually useless or obsolete on a bare-minimum nLited XP. That's the purpose here, finding stuff which CAN'T possibly have any use. For instance, write.exe, or Mui setup existing in windows folder since it's only an installer and hence doesn't need to stay there.

Edited by Azelza

While I'm all for removing useless staff and butcher all my installations :ph34r: with or without nLite, I always try to find proper solution without breaking stuff. For example, in the above list, I don't agree with removal of: WinSxS (believe me, nobody wants to wipe it more than me, but I've experimented in virtual machine and always ended up with broken Windows), flash (although it's easily solved/replaced with never version; but more often needed than not) appcompat patch (I think :huh: it's useful). And I'm not sure about twunk_16.exe and command.com (I use many old programs) so MYSELF I would never delete them.

Of course, all empty directories, wherever they are, go away. B)

GL

EDIT--

Ahh, I see. This is only for those who REALLY wish to strip their disks. Can you provide some more details and which removals are suited for the general users? Also, would removing any of these files cause an installation error?

I know that write.exe is an actual app (and I don't wish to remove that), but I found that routemon.exe was just funny ;) .

-----------------------------------

Would information from the following be relevant to this?

http://www.msfn.org/board/Windows-XP-SP3-s...up-t118781.html

and

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/57/

Helllo all,

This is slightly off topic but since there has been so much discussion about this I thought it good to summarize; explanation is between ().

This is what I do for a regular Windows XP SP3 Professional integration starting from an RTM source (in folder WinXP_SP3):

-After copying the root contents of a WinXP CD into WinXP_SP3, remove the Read-only attributes from all files in that folder.

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3", extract (in folder SP3) and slipstream by executing: SP3/i386/update/update.exe /Integrate:WinXP_SP3.

-In the slipstreamed folder:

--Delete cmpnents\TABLETPC, and move *.htm moved into DOCS. (I did not look into tablet installations).

--Delete i386\GUITRN_A.DL_, MIGISM_A.DL_, MIGWIZ_A.EX_, MMC.CH_, MSRDP.CA_,MSTSC.CH_, MSTSC.EX_, MSTSCAX.DL_, RDSKTPW.CH_, SCRIPT_A.DL_,SYSMOD_A.DL_, TSCUPGRD.EX_, XPTHT41W.HT_ (the old RDP client).

---remove the msrdp.cab line in DOSNET.inf (to avoid an error message during install).

--Delete i386\USETUP.exe; copy i386\System32\SMSS.exe one level up, and rename it to USETUP.exe (to have an up to date GUI steup for all types of install: CD, WinNT, WinNT32).

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 3 Deployment Tools" to update WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS\Deploy.cab (used to make SP3 unattended and sysprep installations).

-Download "Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools", and extract them in WinXP_SP3\SUPPORT\TOOLS, updating all other tools (less and less usefull utilities but for the sake of completeness...).

The steps of removing read-onlly and slip-streaming can be carried out with nLite :thumbup .

In case you do not have an RTM CD, you may encounter interesting combinations, discussed here.

-You can delete the WIN51IP.SP1 and/or WIN51IP.SP2 files in the root.

Google is your friend for the downloads. I am not sure what can be/has been incorporated in the nLite slipstreaming.

Comments welcome as always; I will update the above as needed.

Space Saving Tips

Submitted by Alanoll

Fancy freeing up approximately 185 MB of space by deleting un-needed folders?

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

DOCS, VALUEADD, and SUPPORT. This will free up 22.3 MB or so.

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.6 MB

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you probably can also delete:

LANG. This will free up approximately 99 MB (This may vary)

As of Windows XP SP2, an extra folder known as cmpnents is added, with Tablet PC and .NET Framework 1.0 components which is also considered safe to delete (This folder may also contain Media Center components, which I'm unsure of as I don't personally use MCE).

cmpnents. This will free up 25.2 MB

If you are installing applications from the $OEM$ distribution folders, then you can run a search on your $OEM$ folders for any instmsia.exe and instmsiw.exe files. Delete any you find as you won't need them for Windows XP or 2003, because it already has an up-to-date version of Windows Installer 2.0.

» nLite - Further Reduction by Removing Additional Files

cliconfg.exe, cliconfg.dll - SQL Server Client Network Utility; I never even knew this existed

iexpress.exe - very obsolete Microsoft sfx-archive maker tool

moricons.dll - a dll containing icons in existence since Windows 3.1

powercfg.exe - command-line tool for modifying power management settings; the control panel is enough for most users

ssmypics.scr - My Images Screensaver

Edited by Happy-Dude

system32\cliconfig.exe

that's a good one... ancient too! SQL Server where?

but I didn't include powercfg.exe in the list because it's just one part of a larger set of a bunch of command line system-administration tools which should be considered in a group together and probably should be an nLite component.

Also, IExpress is already a component for removal in nLite.

----

I've got a few more:

system32\netsetup.exe

An installer to copy to your Win98 or Win95 box so it can network with XP. Does nothing on XP. (why's this in system32 anyways!?)

system32\pentnt.exe

Pentium Floating Point Divide Error Utility

system32\drivers\disdn\

Empty folder, it once contained .sys files for ISDN adapters.

system32\grpconv.exe

"It is used to convert Windows 3.1 groups to folders when upgrading to Windows 95 or later."

C:\Windows\winhelp.exe

16-bit app for viewing help files in 16-bit programs. With 16-bit support removed, it says: winhelp.exe is not a valid Win32 application."

[ Edit: I'll continue updating the original post with new additions to this thread ]

Edited by Azelza

system32\grpconv.exe

It is also used by some lame 16-bit (installshield?) installers (SiS graphic driver and others) to "update" the start menu during reboot. Is also (sometimes!) invoked by windows on boot (when it feels like). Verified with Process Monitor. Creates the .grp filetype.

GL

Azelza, may I ask which folders (regardless of whether or not they are empty...) are required by Windows?

I was under the impression that if a folder is required but does not exist, it will automatically be created by the OS/programme.

I can think of only one exception that I encountered, and this was Adobe CS2 not installing until C:\Program Files\ existed.

Cheers,

James

x